AMG Solo Thoughts.

Official support for: muon-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well it has been about a week since I have bought Solo. I think every FL Studio owner should invest in this great VSTI, it is simply amazing and very little hassle on ones CPU. 5 instances of Solo running under Fl studio and only 8% cpu usage.
Now, I will like to see AMG produce multi track drum samples (separate kicks, snares, Hi Hats, etc.) for when ONE is released.
Nice program Muon Software.. taking music to a higher level.

Confidentiality prevents me from discussing the full version of ONE's cooler features (shame!) but I can tell you that if flexibility like that is what you want you won't be disappointed.

Now that you've got ONE, don't forget to read the sticky thread at the top of this forum regarding the hidden "bonus" features :D

Regards
Dave
Last edited by Muon Software Ltd on Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forgive my ignorance but what purpose does this VST serve? If it's just a loop player, presumably it offers no real advantage over PhatmatikPro?

I would have said a better comparison is against Dr REX. The feature set is more similar - load up a REX file and filter/envelope/LFO/mash it up. ONE/solo is definately more endowed in the synthesis capabilities department than Dr REX however.

The difference between ONE/solo and Dr REX (and nearly all other loop players too) is that you're not forced to export the MIDI to your app. You can if you want to reorder the slices, quantise it (or even play the slices like a drum machine). Instead, you can jam the loop up and down in pitch just by holding keys down on your MIDI controller.

Consider the case of a melodic loop sequence - by setting the transpose to match the key of your loop you can jam along with the chord sequence in your track very naturally. It's rather more like playing a loop back from a sampler that can stay locked in tempo with your song than playing "slices".

The full version of ONE offers much, much more but with a similar emphasis on real time jamming, mixing, matching, layering and resequencing loops. More fun than the piano roll, which, let's face it, is not necessarily the best editor for extensive sliced-beat editing :lol:

Regards
Dave

OK cheers Dave :)

Does it have a decent timestretch algo? Often if you pitch up a sequence or increase the tempo (or both) you get that kind of naff gated affect caused by the gaps in between the slices.

REX loops get around this with the stretch parameter in Recycle. This adds a reasonably natural sounding decay to the end of each slice, the length of which is selected by the user. When you slow a REX loop down in ONE/solo you'll hear this extra audio data getting used and it sounds great on percussive loops. If you play the loop at its recorded tempo or speed it up you can use the amp EG release parameter on ONE/solo to make use of this extra data too.

For loops like basslines etc. though this doesn't often sound right. ACID gets around this with its "looping segments" mode which auto-crossfade loops the slices. We're busy working on something similar for Tachyon, but its not in ONE/solo at the moment (though you can load in sliced WAVs saved from ACID if you want to).

HTH
Dave

How about a processed demo file (opf) so we can see how to use the filters on SOLO?

What is it about the filters that you're having trouble with?

Regards
Dave

Muon Software Ltd wrote:What is it about the filters that you're having trouble with?

Regards
Dave
Not having any problems... Just will like to see how you will program the filters on a file.

Assuming you're already familiar with subtractive synthesis, the key is really to experiment.

Regards
Dave

Return to “Muon Software”