ANNOUNCEMENT: Stephen Howell passed away

Archived support for: hollowsun.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Omg, he will be missed. Rest in peace, Stephen.

I'm so sorry to hear this,Steve was wonderfully funny character and uniquely creative developer. He had a great approach, he seemed to love his work, always pushing boundaries and actually liked dealing with clients.
My sympathy goes out to his family,friends and colleagues., Steve will be missed.
R.I.P.
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Sad news indeed.

A gloriously mad ranting Welshman, and all the greater for it, I was lucky enough to spend time with him at HS Towers a couple of years ago whilst we talked about the world, music, politics and photography, as well as his daughter Alice, of whom he was so proud to the point of bursting. I also feel fortunate that I have been able to call him a friend as we regularly conversed through different media. Kind hearted and generous on every level.

I feel totally privileged to have taken this photo of him, an homage to the artist Magritte, and how I personally will always remember him.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/manof2wor ... 2127371954 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/manof2worlds/8228717153/in/set-72157632127371954)
Let's see what's out there......

Very sorry to read this - RIP Stephen!

I am deeply shocked and saddened by the news.

Stephen was an extraordinarily generous and talented individual with a very rare and unusual blend of skills combining unusually organic sound design with highly intuitive and efficient user interfaces wrapped in his trade mark graphic designs.

As well as being a good friend, I have felt very privileged to collaborate with Stephen and Mario for some time now on several projects.

But that was in more recent times...

He has left a legacy in the music industry that goes back decades and had a hand in factory sample libraries and the UI design of several famous AKAI S-series hardware samplers well before the days of soft synths, samplers and DAWs.

He will be very sorely missed indeed.

This feels doubly worse for me as I recently lost my father.

It’s going to take me quite some time to come to terms with this – the world feels emptier yet again.

Dan Wilson, Hideaway Studio.
Last edited by HideawayStudio on Sat May 31, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home of Novachord #346...

I am also very sad to hear it.
His sounds were always an inspiration for me.

I too received the news this morning that my dear friend Steve had passed away.

I can't begin to tell you what this man means to me. We struck up our friendship nearly 15 years ago and have remained great friends ever since. He inspired me, taught me, mentored me and was so incredibly generous in so many ways. We shared many good times together, both work and play and there is a very large hole in my life right now.

My deepest and most sincere condolences go out to his wife and amazingly talented daughter who was, in no uncertain terms and by his own admission, his greatest ever achievement, musical or otherwise.

Farewell, dear friend.

I have started a book of condolences up on my website and would love for all that knew him, or knew his work, to leave some words there.

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/steve-ho ... ndolences/

Really sad to hear this. I bought more than a few libraries from HS, and he was always incredibly friendly and helpful. My condolences to his friends and family... RIP.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks for all the support, people.

I would like you to have a listen to my solo piano piece called Soothing Dream (Mayflower). I feel it fits the occasion perfectly:

https://app.box.com/s/f62fae3c9a96906c76c8

I just saw the post on the VI forum. Totally shocked - to say the least. Totally out of left field for me. But then that's how it always is when something like this happens. Deepest condolences to his family and to all of you around here who were close to him. Steve will definitely be missed by many. RIP
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Very, very sad. RIP

That's awful. So sorry. My condolences to his family and all of his friends here.

Very sad news. Rest in peace, Stephen.

I assume that his family will financially benefit from sales on Hollow Sun still?

I have been holding off from buying a lot of products from there, but perhaps now would be a good time? Maybe if anyone wants to do something practical to help his family out they can consider buying something from the site very soon? I know I will do this.

Sad news indeed. RIP.

I hope something can be done to carry the Hollow Sun legacy on, even after Steve's passing. Throughout 5 years of my Kontakt scripting endeavours, I have met a decent amount of people, so I have several in mind to help out with this (first and foremost, Dan from Hideaway Studios was immediately the person I thought that could do Hollow Sun justice). Sadly I don't know UK law so this will have to be dealt with after all the grievances and the funeral.

In any case, I will keep everyone posted regarding the future of Hollow Sun.

Return to “Hollow Sun”