Opinions wanted: MIDI Controller Integration in MS2

Official support for: audiospillage.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

syncr wrote:Oh hai. Haven't checked back on sound design mode for a bit and happy to see the implementation coming along. I don't have much to add at the moment but can you speak to when we will see this migrate back to DrumSpillage? Will this be a parallel to MS2's release or something to come later?

The hordes at the gate have their demands ;). Keep up the good work :)
For DrumSpillage it will likely be something to come later to be honest. Hopefully the recent 1.6 GUI update will keep the hordes happy for now!

AudioSpillage

ekwipt wrote:I hate DaWs piano rolls, they look damn ugly, at least Ableton has MaxforLive now.

I think a good arguement for an internal sequencer is that you don't have to switch between applications to write a pattern. I think Maschine does this very successfully, I would implement it pretty much exactly the same way, especially the live parameter changes, wow factor right there. Song mode is not really needed at least with Ableton IMO. If you could drag and drop a midi pattern from the sequencer directly into a Ableton midi clip, that would be awesome.
Yeah, song mode isn't really necessary here. With the MIDI pattern play system you can easily build arrangements from the piano roll and arrange page of a DAW.

Drag-and-drop into an Ableton clip or any DAW timeline would be cool. The main problem with this is the lack of per note MIDI parameters (velocity and poly aftertouch basically). This makes it difficult to export the control graphs along with the note on/off step sequence. They could be mapped to a MIDI CC I suppose.

AudioSpillage

jonahs wrote:I was messing around with the MIDI pattern play mode today and I noticed the lock option. It got me thinking that MIDI switching of kits might be cool, especially if you could manage to just change one pad at a time. In some situations this might be more useful even than editing the parameters.
That's an interesting idea. Makes more sense reading a second time too.

jonahs wrote:I like the sequencer and the ideas in it a lot. It does things that other plugin hosts either don't do or not as easily. But what possessed you to add 2000% speed!? :shock: I actually think it's great features like are in MS and I like using some of the faster settings with MIDI pattern mode to make cool incidental sounds, transition effects/buildups,etc. It was kind of a (pleasant) surprise to see though. :)
Haha, well it seemed like a good idea to offer half speed playback and double speed playback. Then we thought it would be interesting to add 150% and 75% and if we're doing that why not go all the way to 2000% which is totally unnecessary but actually quite useful and fun. Been waiting for someone to comment on that feature ;-)
jonahs wrote:While I'm off topic, the undocumented feature of swapping and copying pads with tracks took a little bit to figure out, but it's awesome! Any plans to do the same thing with patterns and also tracks in different patterns, so we could copy from one pattern to another without having to switch back and forth?
There will probably be a minor overhaul of the track/pattern copy/paste system. It's a bit awkward right now. Presume you found the right-click context menu?

Thanks for the feedback!
AudioSpillage

Return to “AudioSpillage”