Additive synthesis in Zebra

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HarmoMorph and HarmoBlend :love:

hakey wrote:Pretty sure it's just 1/n for nth partial, so to reverse it double the 2nd partial, triple the third etc.
Well, I thought that too but upon further reflection it's not that simple.

I'm bounded by +1.00 <-> -1.00 which means blindly multiplying partials will quickly exceed the bounding range (32 * small number can easily go over 1.00). So I think what you might have to do is multiply out the partial chain as you said and then normalize the waveform linearly before writing out the preset. I'll see if I can find some time tonight to try it out.

Hmm... I think it is 1/partial...

Soooooo, Urs, whacha thinkk+ about a flat-out HarmoMorph/HarmoBlend modes, that would be a true additive synthesis mode (where you could adjust the level and phase of each partial to 100%, and not just to 1/partial)? And a way to zoom into the drawing screen, for more precise edits? ;)

Haha, unexpected thread resurrection. ;)

If anyone's interested, I had a go at the additive flute recipe mentioned in the OP and came up with the following patch for Zebralette:

Add Flute

(haven't tried it, but it should load okay as a Zebra patch too)

EvilDragon wrote:Soooooo, Urs, whacha thinkk+ about a flat-out HarmoMorph/HarmoBlend modes, that would be a true additive synthesis mode (where you could adjust the level and phase of each partial to 100%, and not just to 1/partial)? And a way to zoom into the drawing screen, for more precise edits? ;)
I second this! :)

EvilDragon wrote: ..And a way to zoom into the drawing screen, for more precise edits? ;)
Something like the expanded [+] ModMapper editor maybe.. at least for starters. :D

Ow yeah... and harmonic number grid would be helpful :P

3ee wrote:
EvilDragon wrote: ..And a way to zoom into the drawing screen, for more precise edits? ;)
Something like the expanded [+] ModMapper editor maybe.. at least for starters. :D

Ow yeah... and harmonic number grid would be helpful :P
Exactly like that. And yes, harmonic numbers would help!

Yus, and the option to have the wave editor in a HUGE floating window, say, the size of the GUI. At the moment I pretty much have to go into Cinematic resolution and scroll the whole thing until I see the wave window for precision edits. Particularly in harmoblend mode, when I'm counting out each indivdual harmonic (yes, I'm that much of a nerd. What are you gonna do about it). Works well for now, though :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

ZebraTamer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:33 am HarmoMorph and HarmoBlend :love:
So, what about these? Will they be in Zebra 3?

It would be awesome to be able to do some sound design with an absolute harmonics designer. :love:

dude, let it go, it's been over a decade, there is a class action lawsuit now, I mean
look at this, we got the floor plans to all his offices, here's where u-he was, you couldnt get to him, it was a ponzi scheme...
MADOFF!!! (obvious Seinfeld/Curb reference here)

in all seriousness, there are other synths out there now that do things that are way more interesting, just look at Kult, simple and so creative and it does Additive great...
Zebra 3 really has a lot to live up to now, and me thinks it is not going to live up to those expectations.
All this asking for more features seems to me that just hurts the project and the fan base more.
But then a strange fear gripped me
and I just couldn't ask....

Garzita wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:15 pm
Zebra 3 really has a lot to live up to now, and me thinks it is not going to live up to those expectations.
I am confident Zebra 3 will live up to my expectations. Take Zebra 2, streamline it, add the new voice management and MPE, plus the already proven tech developed for the more recent plugins and of course add in some of the unique u-he goody-ness like the spline editor and you have an amazing offering right there.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:02 pm
Garzita wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:15 pm
I am confident Zebra 3 will live up to my expectations. Take Zebra 2, streamline it, add the new voice management and MPE, plus the already proven tech developed for the more recent plugins and of course add in some of the unique u-he goody-ness like the spline editor and you have an amazing offering right there.
I have high hopes for Z3 after seeing the teaser for the waveform editor a while back. Being able to use that in the context of FM/wavefolding/[insert-preferred-method-of-skewing-waveforms] is going to be amazing. Whether in Zebra or Bazille, I love sitting down with an oscilloscope and finding strange ways to twist waves. I still use filters of course, but I'm more likely to start with a sine wave or a simple wave with very few partials and then try to find creative ways to warp them.

Plus I think u-he makes some of the most interesting modulation systems -- Hive, Zebra, and Bazille all have unique ways of handling lfos, envelopes, sequencers, etc... I'm really curious to see how those get combined in Z3.

Garzita wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:15 pm dude, let it go, it's been over a decade, there is a class action lawsuit now, I mean
look at this, we got the floor plans to all his offices, here's where u-he was, you couldnt get to him, it was a ponzi scheme...
MADOFF!!! (obvious Seinfeld/Curb reference here)

in all seriousness, there are other synths out there now that do things that are way more interesting, just look at Kult, simple and so creative and it does Additive great...
All this asking for more features seems to me that just hurts the project and the fan base more.
Because Zebra it is very good for the music I make and I think it is pretty unique still today. If Zebra 3 improves some few things it is a perfect synth for me.

I also have other synths but Zebra has something magical and I keep coming back to it.

From recent Urs' posts, Zebra 3 will most likely have an optional +1000 partials additive rendering engine. While it won't rival in functionality with erm say, Harmor, I can't wait to use and abuse all these harmonics :)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

Return to “u-he”