Loomer String Synthesizer 1.1 - Native 64-bit / Separate Effects Plugin / New Presets

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deleted
Last edited by Will Phoenix on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

@af20001 Two reasons for the CPU when idle. First is the effects section, which unless Mix is set to 0% (for Phaser and Delay), or Depth to 0% (for the Chorus) will always be running. As a general rule with String, Voices are cheap (because they are all driven from a single master oscillator, hence the phase-locked oscillators), but the effects are fairly expensive.

The second thing is that if your machine supports it, Ubuntu Linux will use Frequency Scaling: it won't run your CPU at full pelt unless it needs it. You can check the current CPU speed with (I think, and this is off the top of my head) cat /proc/cpuinfo. 10% may not be 10% of your maximum CPU speed, but 10% of the current CPU speed.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

CPB wrote:Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

@af20001 Two reasons for the CPU when idle. First is the effects section, which unless Mix is set to 0% (for Phaser and Delay), or Depth to 0% (for the Chorus) will always be running. As a general rule with String, Voices are cheap (because they are all driven from a single master oscillator, hence the phase-locked oscillators), but the effects are fairly expensive.

The second thing is that if your machine supports it, Ubuntu Linux will use Frequency Scaling: it won't run your CPU at full pelt unless it needs it. You can check the current CPU speed with (I think, and this is off the top of my head) cat /proc/cpuinfo. 10% may not be 10% of your maximum CPU speed, but 10% of the current CPU speed.
Thanks for pointing that out - I did wonder if it was down to the effects. As long as it's normal it's fine :)

String 1.0.2 is now released - download the update here. This adds a fix for a nasty case of digital noise that could, in certain circumstances, appear when using Chorus Type 2 with a Depth of 100%.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

String for Windows has now been updated to 1.0.3 - download it here.

This adds a fix for hanging notes that would occur with Sonar when the Transport is stopped mid-note. There are no other features or fixes in the minor update, so unless you are using Sonar and witnessing this bug, there is little point in upgrading from String 1.0.2.

Just wanted to say thanks -- bought it earlier this week, great product for a great price. Some may call String a one trick pony, but it's a mighty one, closest I ever heard to the old string machine I used to have in late 80s and priceless for the kind of music I usually make )old school ambient, TD style). Will keep an eye on your creations from now on.

Thanks Jazz, glad you're enjoying String. And do keep an eye out; we've something new and exciting to reveal soon...

I bought this last month, blown away by the quality (and price ratio)! A dedicated string machine was the only thing missing from my arsenal, and this one completes my setup better than i could ever hope.

Tough it's not really designed for it, I even got some really good sounding lead sounds out of it, that kinda make me wish for more routing options, but again, that's not what this synth was made for so i shouldn't complain :)

Looking forward to what you got cooking up next.

Here's a little teaser for the impending String 1.1 release. As well as now coming in native 64-bit versions for Mac OS X Audio Unit and Windows VST, String 1.1 will also be available as an effects plugin:

Excellent stuff :)

All going well, we're anticipating a release date of early next week. The full list of features and fixes in String 1.1 are as follows:
  • * Native 64-bit versions for Mac OS X Audio Unit, and Windows VST
    * Separate "Effects Only" plugin: use String's Effects as a general multi-fx unit
    * Phaser and Chorus now automatically disable themselves (saving CPU) when the plugin is idle
    * Each Layer now has an overall Volume control
    * Increased polyphony
    * Much faster GUI response
    * Vastly reduced memory usage
    * Various compatibility fixes for certain hosts
    * Fixed bug where Delay Link status sometimes isn't persisted
    * Fixed minor audible click that could be heard when changing Chorus mode

Really looking forward to this update... :D

I purchased 'String' a while back, and just love the sound!

BTW - I'm also seriously considering 'Manifold' - Not quite sure.
Also, if you update 'Sequent' with a brighter interface, I'll
have another look, but at the moment, the 'guts' is too hard to see.

@John-E34 Thanks! I don't want to clutter this String topic with too much Sequent talk, but I'd be interested in clarification on what parts of the Sequent interface you find too hard to see. Feel free to raise any suggestions to either a new thread, or to the existing Sequent thread.

The word on the street is, there's a 157 new presets too. :party:
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

String 1.1 is now available - download it here for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. For the new features and fixes, see the post above that I made a few days ago.

And as previously mentioned, HunterKiller has kindly provided over 150 fantastic new presets for registered users of String - download them here. Many thanks to HunterKiller for the hard work he put into these awesome sounds.

Return to “Loomer”