request new plugs

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And this is what made samplers exciting to me:

Random Length samples done with the Casio SK-1 of old 80's industrial bands.

Then playing the sample at -1 octave, down a fifth or 4th simultaneously.

:roll: So I guess it is a lo-fi Industrial cacophony generator but with strong
internal rythmic elements that repeat.(but not an identifiable time signature)

It would be experimental (a la xoxos) and looping (a la comercial?).

whew!

+1 for friction synthesizer.
Last edited by beekboo on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1 for friction synthesizer. I'm very keen on any synth that has an ambiguous sound that isn't immediately recognisably synthetic. A lot of the physically modelled-based synths are capable of that and I certainly like the sound of this one.

Definitely keen to see the poetry/lyrics generator - no vst needed imo.

Would also be very interested to see more plugs along the lines of Talent - this plugin fascinates me and is utterly inspiring.

Cheers!

thanks for the replies. i've determined my project schedule. i always appreciate people being interested enough to make requests tho.

beekboo - this sounds like something that could be done in a modular host like eXT with existing plugs.. or perhaps audiomulch or (is soundborb open source??)

at some point i'll be converting my current algorithmic development into documented public resources, with 'part blend' prefabs that would say have 8 incoming audio streams and occasionally drop or add one to keep 3 or more parts active.

i'm not overly familiar with audiomulch - perhaps a random midi note generator set to very slow, long notes triggering a sampler with a couple of cross-modulated lfos moving the loop points around.. throw in a wav of washing the dishes, you're set?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

for simply commercial sustenance, I think you refine isnonu, have grym do the guiand sell the ultimate trance synth for like, 10$ ?

That, or a great brass instrument emu -with simple controls for simple people :)

xoxos wrote:
i'm not overly familiar with audiomulch - perhaps a random midi note generator set to very slow, long notes triggering a sampler with a couple of cross-modulated lfos moving the loop points around.. throw in a wav of washing the dishes, you're set?
Though audiomulch doesn't support internal MIDI processing (just controling plugins via external MIDI), the scenario you're describing is more suitable for energy 1.4.

But the most elegant solution IMHO is to use the now freeware shortcircuit sampler, in its flexible modulation matrix there's all you need (random values, lfos, sample start/end/loop point modulation)
Disclaimer: This post is not meant to insult or attack anyone. All terms that can be considered as patronising, antagonistic, rude or even arrogant and snide are a mere result of my limited abilities of the english language.

My idea

shaped

a synth that lets you select a material first (wood / metal / glass / plastic / water / wool / etcetera etcetera)

after that lets you draw shapes in a way visual 3d programs does
after that lets you hit the object with a virtual stick

the sound than generated should resemble the sound of that particular object

now how would one go about such an idea :D :-o :lol: :love:

who has been looking at 2d physics sandbox..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I can appreciate a good synth, but I like the ones that sound bad. I remember when I first got Noisemo, and man did some of the filters sound terrible.

It was great!
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

An idea i had since a long time: To have a drum sequencer, that decribes drum sequences in the spectral domain: To build a drumpattern from a bunch of loops of a given velocity v, frequency f and phase offset p instead of triggers in a given mesure. E.g

kick: f= 1/4, p=0 (4 to the floor),
claps: f= 1/2, p= 1/4 (clap on the downbeat)
open highats: f=1/8, p=1/8
closed highats: 2 loops with f=1/4 and p=0, v=100 / p= 1/16, v= 80 (the popular trance gate movement)

is a simple house beat.

Per instrument there is a fixed number of loops (say 8 ) and there are controls for frequencies (harmonics of a base frequency = cycle of whole loop) and phase offsets for these loops.
To handle this, one could have list boxes with presets for classical "distributions"- 3 bars + one bar break etc.

I see, that you cannot realize overcomplex sequences with it. And the programming approach would demand a total change of mind:
Think a repeating eights: xxxxxxxx, is just one loop (f=.5,p=0), to make something like xxx-x-xx from this, you need 3 loops (f=.25,p=0/f=1,p=.125/f=1,p=.875), with a classic step based sequencer this is just 2 mouse clicks!

But the concept comes to life when modulation the values with LFOs and using fractional values for phase.

Another idea: What happens, when applying FFT-based filters like LP/HP/BP on those "spectra"?
Should be basic DSP, only the samplerate is not 44100 per second but 1/16 per second (or a multiple of it for oversampling). How would aliasing look like? But I have no clue with DSP and this is maybe bullshit.

Edit: Something abaout the background of this idea: I believe, every musical topos is made by repeating/repeated patterns, that are recognized as an entity. Which is true for a sound: you have a base frequency, that you recognise as pitch and harmonics, that form the sound. In the same manner for rhythm you have a basic repeating cycle, that you recognize as "beat" and the "harmonics" = the events between, that you recognize as "groove".

Anyone understood this or could translate in real English?
Disclaimer: This post is not meant to insult or attack anyone. All terms that can be considered as patronising, antagonistic, rude or even arrogant and snide are a mere result of my limited abilities of the english language.

Al Magnifico wrote: I believe, every musical topos is made by repeating/repeated patterns
i don't understand exactly what you intended regarding fft (an actual fft process or simply some spectral discernment of sounds as "within various bandwidths")

the example you give of a phase/frequency model (you could also call it period/offset, count, shift) i think (obviously) indicates.. well..

..any way that you can analyse it, cut it and dice it and construct.. i think the more exciting modern music is simply about the power of articulation. i want my brain to recombinate as diversely, and thus as rapidly as possible.. i think it's a healthy mode for being able to apprehend and reshape the patterns in one's life..

my simple implementation for this would apply at least two tiers/levels, so that a pattern would be generated by phase/freq1 and phase/freq2

eg. a freq of 3 with an offset of 2 would produce a base 0 0 X pattern, which would be wrapped in the second layer..

8 steps with 0 offset/phase:

(0 0 X) (0 0 X) (0 0

8 steps with offset of -1:
0 X) (0 0 X) (0 0 X)

(perhaps by using 'offset' as an integer instead of 'phase' as a fraction i am missing the point..)

this would be extremely simple to implement, and of course can be done with current sequencers (serial's two counters) however the discrete 'phase/freq' interface would be much more facile and appropriate.

i have other routines that i am prioritising.. no commitment, however given that my current 'phase' is percussion sequencers, i think this option is perhaps somewhat obligatory :)

actually -

at the present time my focus is on making product - i think if humans support my development process for a couple of months, they will also benefit :p

however - my intent is to catalyse the development of such things in general -

whereas this conept is very simple to implement with a counter and a few modules in synthedit, i can code it directly into a synthedit module.

in time, a few months give or take, my tutorial videos and SEM releases will be concerned with teaching synthedit as an environment for algorithmic composition. (you can host VST in it and it's sooo much simpler to deal directly with clock pulses and counters than to fiddle with host sync, because many hosts don't support polyrhythms or flexible time structures).

do yourselves a favour and try synthedit out sometime, or wait until my resources are there, which should make it extremely easy to learn at that point.

It's not a very cutting edge idea, the one i'm going to propose. But it is perfectly in keeping with ClapofLuxury, which i regard as an absolute treasure. Why is Clap so great? Because try as i might, until this synth came along, i could never get a realistic spectrum of handclaps to layer up. If you listen to sixties Stones, Motown, Atlantic, all kinds of older music, a handclap track was de rigeure. Now, contrast that sound with the lame-oh 'claps' on most drum machines... :oops:

To me a great extension of the art form would be a tambourine/shaker synth. For exactly the same reasons. I can't even find halfway decent samples. I'm thinking of a synth with a big range of presets, perhaps chorusing or reverb (though that would be easy enough to process outboard). It could be made fancier with a sequencer, but that's not critical either. It's the authentic jingling and clatter that's missing in my sound collection.

Trivial, yes, even ridiculously so. Useful? You bet! :)

//fnx
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant

:p ~a surprise to hear as c.o.l. is intended for drum machine claps. i like claps on the first beat/keeping time as in eastern music :)

well, i'm usually happy using something like dystopia with low filter settings for tambourines, however i've got another 'cluster' algorithm floating around, this would be a perfect implementation for it.

quality varies, i have a bunch of shakers samples at http://www.breathcube.com/samples/

one set is from a short ~18" rainstick.. it's versatile for shakers because the tilt effects the decay.

This is not an original, or creative idea, just one I've wanted to actually happen for nearly a decade now.

I'd seriously pay about a thousand bucks for a 1:1 replica of the asr-10 in a vsti. That old beast can do so much, but as time goes on, they are going to become harder to find, or rather harder to find ones that work, plus, I don't need the "bulk" that they occupy, but if I were to say this:

How about a transwave, or wavetable/wavesequencing synth that used large samples for it's basic wave structure? First off, it sort of negates what wavesequencing commonly is thought of, but it doesn't have to.

If I said the above, it'd be fairly creative, but really all it is, is the old asr-10.

So I'd really pay ANYONE, or ANY COMPANY, alot if they could make a one to one replica of the asr-10 complete with it's fx, that could actually read samples made on the hardware version.

Transwaves were really a nice bit of synthetic building blocks. I still hate creative labs, even though I'm using their cards lol.

Return to “xoxos”