Hydrasynth

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Each of the Per-Note channels is used to send messages related to one specific touch. The Main channel is used to send messages that apply to all touches like overall volume, sustain pedal, etc.
To learn about MPE, visit the LinnStrument Support page and click “What is MPE?”

I'd try main channel 1 and 2-9 per note, just to make sure you are getting full polyphony, though if 16 works it works!

I think the MPE mono mode bugs demonstrated in the video up thread are fixed in the current Hydrasynth firmware (1.5.5). I failed to reproduce those bugs on my Hydrasynth Desktop with my LinnStrument 128.

Hydrasynth Desktop (v 1.5.5); MPE: On; Patch: Single Factory Bank A 2.0 A015 “Distortified” (mono);
Linnstrument 128 (v 2.3.0): MIDI Mode: ChPerNote - “blue mode”;
DIN MIDI cable connection.

1. Play a note; play the same note elsewhere; release the 2nd: it cancels the original note. — Can not reproduce, I find the original note gets triggered again on release of the 2nd note.
2. Play and hold a note; play another note and pitch glide up and release: original note changes pitch — Can not reproduce, I find the original note plays its original pitch.
3. Pitch bend on two notes simultaneously: fights against each other — Can not reproduce.
4. “Mono” mode precedence rules: only works as “Mono Hi” — Can not reproduce. As far as I can tell “Mono” works correctly. “Mono Hi” works correctly.

Ooh, mine is for sale, more because I decided to stick with the modor rather than any bugs, but given I'm about to take a huge loss on it as prices appeared to have tanked, I might as well get stuck in...

I've had a hydrasynth keyboard (v1.5.4) for a while and just got a desktop (v1.5.5) to pair with it but they're behaving slightly differently in MPE mode on polyphonic patches - the desktop releases both notes if a duplicate is released, and the keyboard keeps the original note playing. Anyone else have this issue or a solution for it? I can work around it but I was hoping to just keep the desktop and this comes up a lot in my playing

Demo here (switched to youtube) - https://youtube.com/shorts/gDI0yiw6_ZY?feature=share
Last edited by DarkenedMonastery on Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Hyrdasynth has had issues with its MPE implementation from the start. I even spoke with Glen Darcey directly about said issues, and he did acknowledge them in kind; but little has changed since, from what I can tell. What's worse is, based on your report above, it would seem as though someone has endeavored to make changes to the voice handling, only to still get it wrong. Which betrays that they don't really understand what's required.

I honestly don't know what it is about MPE that continues to ellude even the brightest minds.

The basis of these bugs always seems to be that developers keep thinking "piano", when here they should be thinking "guitar", and just can't get their heads around the concept of having more than one instance of the same note.

Sell the Hyrda, get yourself and Argon 8, and don't look back. :tu:

Cheers!

I love the hydra synth mutants though and oddly there don't seem to be any MPE problems on my hydra keyboard. None of the issues with mono mode from earlier in the thread and no issues playing multiple instances of the same note either. ASM support thought they should both be the same and forwarded my report on to their engineers so we'll see what comes back.

I'm looking out for an Argon 8M too! I was planning to keep the hydra desktop and sell off the keyboard.

Well, maybe they have made some improvements in recent history then.

Here's hoping they get it right. The Hyrdasynth is a sound designer's dream. I wanted one originally, to pair with the LinnStrument; but I'm happy that I chose the Argon 8M instead, as it's an equally capable synth, and MPE just worked from day one.

Cheers!

DarkenedMonastery wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:06 pm I love the hydra synth mutants though and oddly there don't seem to be any MPE problems on my hydra keyboard. None of the issues with mono mode from earlier in the thread and no issues playing multiple instances of the same note either. ASM support thought they should both be the same and forwarded my report on to their engineers so we'll see what comes back.

I'm looking out for an Argon 8M too! I was planning to keep the hydra desktop and sell off the keyboard.
That’s interesting, I must admit I always thought they would be the same.

All I know is that all the bugs remain on my desktop with the latest firmware and they ignore my bug reports!
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Well, I personally trust your account of this, Andy, over anyone else's.

It's good to know that I can put the Hydrasynth back to the bottom of the wish list. :wink:

Cheers!

Sounds like I should have got the keyboard version!

BobDog wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:58 pm All I know is that all the bugs remain on my desktop with the latest firmware and they ignore my bug reports!
These bugs from earlier in the thread?
  • Playing the same note more than once and releasing one of them also stops the other note.

Holding a note and then bending another note and releasing changes the pitch of the original note.

Pitchbend on notes not playing effects playing notes, PB from all notes fight against each other.
I don't see any of them on either my desktop or keyboard. I've attempted to trigger them on a mono init patch in this video but I might have missed something - https://youtu.be/pEe_9lo9G4g

Are you using a mono patch?

Edit just looked at the video, what version have you got installed?

With 1.5.5 I get the bugs, is there a newer version?

DarkenedMonastery wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:18 pm I've had a hydrasynth keyboard (v1.5.4) for a while and just got a desktop (v1.5.5) to pair with it but they're behaving slightly differently in MPE mode on polyphonic patches - the desktop releases both notes if a duplicate is released, and the keyboard keeps the original note playing. Anyone else have this issue or a solution for it? I can work around it but I was hoping to just keep the desktop and this comes up a lot in my playing

Demo here (switched to youtube) - https://youtube.com/shorts/gDI0yiw6_ZY?feature=share
Also here you are saying that the desktop releases both notes, I'm confused!

patternmusic wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:10 pm I think the MPE mono mode bugs demonstrated in the video up thread are fixed in the current Hydrasynth firmware (1.5.5). I failed to reproduce those bugs on my Hydrasynth Desktop with my LinnStrument 128.

Hydrasynth Desktop (v 1.5.5); MPE: On; Patch: Single Factory Bank A 2.0 A015 “Distortified” (mono);
Linnstrument 128 (v 2.3.0): MIDI Mode: ChPerNote - “blue mode”;
DIN MIDI cable connection.

1. Play a note; play the same note elsewhere; release the 2nd: it cancels the original note. — Can not reproduce, I find the original note gets triggered again on release of the 2nd note.
2. Play and hold a note; play another note and pitch glide up and release: original note changes pitch — Can not reproduce, I find the original note plays its original pitch.
3. Pitch bend on two notes simultaneously: fights against each other — Can not reproduce.
4. “Mono” mode precedence rules: only works as “Mono Hi” — Can not reproduce. As far as I can tell “Mono” works correctly. “Mono Hi” works correctly.
I tested all of these with 1.5.5 and all still existed for me.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”