What is the good "affordable" vst synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I agree that Synthmaster is an amazing value. And the clever pricing scheme (basically paying for the amount of presets you want) really makes it affordable for everyone.

On the other hand, if you play with the concept of "affordable" a bit, if I was doing this all over again knowing what I know now, I would probably choose Omnisphere as the most affordable option, simply because I honestly don't think I would ever really need to buy another synth. Yes, in strict dollar terms, no one would ever put Omnisphere in the bargain bin. But when you consider what's actually in the box and what you could really save in the long run, it's really hard to beat that value IMHO.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

crystalmsc wrote:imho Cubase Elements 8 is the most valuable package, not only you got Halion Sonic SE (Trip is dope!) and Beat Agents SE which are the same version as the Cubase Pro instrument, only with less patches/samples. But you got a decent VST3 host and a very mature and good looking DAW. Plus a bunch of quality effect which can be used in a very polished mixer. Is there anything like that for just $99? Plus it support ReWire.
You are right - the entry level versions of Cubase are pretty powerful. I use Cubase Artist 6.5. However, there was always one essential feature missing from my perspective: the possibility to bounce Midi in Place and the possibility to bounce multiple Midi Tracks to multiple Audio Tracks at once. For some reason they left this very basic feature out in the entry-level versions. Have they incorporated this by now? I don't want to waste my time bouncing each and every track manually anymore - it's so nerve-wracking and unnecessary (I know that the feature is there in the 'big' version of Cubase).

crystalmsc wrote:
Shiosan wrote:Is there any good affordable synth that you recommend that would be good for trance/progressive house? I use Synth 1 currently, exclude that one please.
imho Cubase Elements 8 is the most valuable package, not only you got Halion Sonic SE (Trip is dope!) and Beat Agents SE which are the same version as the Cubase Pro instrument, only with less patches/samples. But you got a decent VST3 host and a very mature and good looking DAW. Plus a bunch of quality effect which can be used in a very polished mixer. Is there anything like that for just $99? Plus it support ReWire. The downside is that the instruments are Cubase exclusive, not a regular VST. Ideal if you plan to work in a Cubase environment.
It's definitely a good package for the money, BUT, what kills it for me is the lack of sidechaining, which isn't possible at all, and the lack of any routing options, e.g. i wasn't able to record a VSTi's output... set that up in S1 2 Producer in seconds... also i need 3 clicks, where in S1 i need one. Elements is a great DAW, but i really felt the limitations in some areas.

bryansonic wrote:
I remember logging in and fixing this for you.
The exact cause of the issue is unclear - but most likely to do with the Key installer. it was fixed by removing the contents of the license folder that was causing the issue.
Apologies again, but im glad its sorted and that you are enjoying the synth. We are working on a new license system to eliminate issues like this in the future - hopefully will be implemented in our next plugin release.

bryan i appreciate the extra-effort you had to go through to get me squared away...i really dig ANA a lot.
please let me know when you get the new licensing-system together. that BIG KICK looks pretty nice...maybe we'll give that a go!
i used to always push the envelope...until someone showed me a letter-opener.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1zHly4zwgI

mcc> wrote:
bryansonic wrote:
I remember logging in and fixing this for you.
The exact cause of the issue is unclear - but most likely to do with the Key installer. it was fixed by removing the contents of the license folder that was causing the issue.
Apologies again, but im glad its sorted and that you are enjoying the synth. We are working on a new license system to eliminate issues like this in the future - hopefully will be implemented in our next plugin release.

bryan i appreciate the extra-effort you had to go through to get me squared away...i really dig ANA a lot.
please let me know when you get the new licensing-system together. that BIG KICK looks pretty nice...maybe we'll give that a go!
Just "KICK" mate - Big Kick was came along a little while afterwards from a different company ;)

As someone impartial, the best affordable vsti imo is ace. It's unfortunate that it comes with so many presets, but the quality is unreal. Second vote would be for morphox. Not in the same league as ace in terms of quality, but a fantastic instrument that will give you a personal sound. Does the whole sylenth thing and much more.

Some of these things you guys are suggesting are no where near affordable or inexpensive...you are just popping off vsti's that you like.

crystalmsc wrote:
Shiosan wrote:Is there any good affordable synth that you recommend that would be good for trance/progressive house? I use Synth 1 currently, exclude that one please.
imho Cubase Elements 8 is the most valuable package, not only you got Halion Sonic SE (Trip is dope!) and Beat Agents SE which are the same version as the Cubase Pro instrument, only with less patches/samples. But you got a decent VST3 host and a very mature and good looking DAW. Plus a bunch of quality effect which can be used in a very polished mixer. Is there anything like that for just $99? Plus it support ReWire. The downside is that the instruments are Cubase exclusive, not a regular VST. Ideal if you plan to work in a Cubase environment.
:tu:
But not a VST synth...

Also +1 for retrologue and zeta2. both great.

Dasheesh wrote:Some of these things you guys are suggesting are no where near affordable or inexpensive...you are just popping off vsti's that you like.
TBF - the topic was flawed from the start;
"good" is subjective,
"affordable" is relative,
and even "the" in this context is a cognitive distortion.

Once you remove those, it kind of opens the door for another KVR thread of eventually listing everything.
But sometimes it's entertaining to watch while I'm waiting for UPS. :hihi:

Hybrid3, Loom and Vacuum Pro for less than $80 right now at Plugin Boutique seems like a steal. Needs iLok thou.

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1 ... -Exclusive

I'm getting this as i speak. Was about to install Alchemy 1.5 after a fresh install of Win10 but i might not even bother. Sure, different beasts, but we'll see.

(And yeah, here i am helping another thread to grow listing everything lol). Anyways, hope it helps.

Shiosan wrote:
excessional wrote:OP doesn't say if he's into synthesis or just wants 1000+ decent presets he can tweak a little - if the latter then Synthmaster Player is ideal and can be had as low as $10 on sale.
I should've mentioned that. Sorry.

Personally I want something in between. I don't need 1000 presets but 5-10 solid presets is enough for me, I can then ground up and build my own sound. I just don't want clones of same sound over and over.

Since I prefers to have something not so over priced but has good balance of complexity and simplicity, Synthmaster and Zebra 2 (although it's bit out of category in terms of price, I can find some good used one if I had to) are my top choice for me. I haven't tried others, I just got a new job and going through a hellish days now...

I also noticed that most of the modular (or semi) has better filter options which is very useful for progressive house. I am quite comfortable using modular since I just came out of Reason, which whole thing is like a giant modular synth. I still need practice, but I would rather feel more "home" to it.
Why not just go the free path for a while and save up cash if you want to buy a more expensive synth? Also, I haven't seen if you mention which DAW and OS you are using?

There are loads of options. u-he Podolski and Tyrell N6 (Well, it's u-he, need I say more?), Tone2 Firebird (Windows only, but packed with dance music oriented sounds), Hexed (for FM-sounds), TAL Elektro and Noizemaker. These are all great and free synths which should keep you busy for a while before feeling the need to put down cash for another synth.

Even though many of the synths mentioned here in the thread are great.

DRS wrote: Needs iLok thou.

whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought they got rid of that silliness. This is some sort of halloween joke right? In no way shape or form should you pay for dongs to play the instruments you bought and paid for. YOU OWN THEM. This has to be wrong.They are just sample based oscillators with stock filters for freak sakes. so over it if true.

Dasheesh wrote:YOU OWN THEM.
No you don't. You own a license to use them on your computer, iLok or not.

I OWN my hardware synths. :ud:

oh no. I own mine. They are an instrument and I treat them as such...believe that. I paid for them, I own them.

Dasheesh wrote:oh no. I own mine. They are an instrument and I treat them as such...believe that. I paid for them, I own them.
I don't pay to play with dongs though.

Return to “Instruments”