Uhbik 2.0 - Concepts & Roadmap

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

A rack, I was hoping for that. Awesome stuff! Im hoping it has good routing capabilities such as series, parallel and feedback paths.

RobGee wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:03 am A rack, I was hoping for that. Awesome stuff! Im hoping it has good routing capabilities such as series, parallel and feedback paths.
And third party plugs and macros :hihi:

Ploki wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 am
RobGee wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:03 am A rack, I was hoping for that. Awesome stuff! Im hoping it has good routing capabilities such as series, parallel and feedback paths.
And third party plugs

Ploki wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:32 am
And third party plugs and macros :hihi:
No

Macros would be super handy, tho...

ikr?

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm Macros would be super handy, tho...
Agree with ED. I haven't followed the Uhbik Rack discussions at all so I'm just speaking in very general terms here. No idea what's planned for a potential Uhbik Rack but...

I always feel like there's no point in doing a Rack if it's not adding functionality not available by chaining plugins together in a DAW. Like the SoundToys Rack is an example of one that doesn't really add much value. What else do you get with that? A global mix knob? My take is: if you're going to do a rack, go the whole 9 yards and look to do things like: add some macro controls, global LFO's, add some parallel processing options, maybe expose some feedback loops on delays for inserts, stuff like that. That way the Rack actually adds a ton of value to the overall product line. If it's just about putting the plugins in a serial processing order without much else, I'd say skip it. I can set that up in my DAW at that point. Use those development hours elsewhere. But if you're going to build something like Patchwork/Late Replies (without third-party VST hosting), Byome/Triad, etc., that's where things get really interesting. And I'm sure it's way, way, way more complex and requires a whole crapload more time to get done.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 pm Macros would be super handy, tho...
Agree with ED. I haven't followed the Uhbik Rack discussions at all so I'm just speaking in very general terms here. No idea what's planned for a potential Uhbik Rack but...

I always feel like there's no point in doing a Rack if it's not adding functionality not available by chaining plugins together in a DAW. Like the SoundToys Rack is an example of one that doesn't really add much value. What else do you get with that? A global mix knob? My take is: if you're going to do a rack, go the whole 9 yards and look to do things like: add some macro controls, global LFO's, add some parallel processing options, maybe expose some feedback loops on delays for inserts, stuff like that. That way the Rack actually adds a ton of value to the overall product line. If it's just about putting the plugins in a serial processing order without much else, I'd say skip it. I can set that up in my DAW at that point. Use those development hours elsewhere. But if you're going to build something like Patchwork/Late Replies (without third-party VST hosting), Byome/Triad, etc., that's where things get really interesting. And I'm sure it's way, way, way more complex and requires a whole crapload more time to get done.
No worries. Just look at what we did for single Uhbiks, then extrapolate and add routing/multiband options into the mix.

Macros (XYs) are a bitch to set up in a modular environment. Easy in Hive, very difficult in Zebra. No chance to auto-assign in Uhbik rack thingy. Too much burden to sound designers, resulting in fewer presets, less acceptance.

Sounds good Urs!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 pm What else do you get with that?
Well, I do look forward to presets--and maybe the community would share cool presets as well. But not important to everyone.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Great, it sounds like there will be decent routing and modulation options. I’m really looking forward to it. I totally agree with what has been said about the SoundToys rack, to me it seems pointless other than the fact you can save effects chains and easily transport them between different DAWs.

I didn't demoed 2.0 but I'm so excited about the upcoming release.
Can't believe it'll be free for existing users!

Hi,

somehow I think I need this :D

I have two questions though:
I guess there are no linux versions of 2.0 yet, at least I didn't find any alpha versions, right?

When I buy the old version the upgrade is still for free? And how long is the special price valid?

Cheers

lilith93 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:26 pmI guess there are no linux versions of 2.0 yet, at least I didn't find any alpha versions, right?
That's quite likely, we've recently only updated Linux installers of some of our current products.
When I buy the old version the upgrade is still for free? And how long is the special price valid?
Yes, upgrade from v1 to v2 will be free. V1 pricing will end when v2 is released. Our estimated release timing is off though, we had to juggle a few things lately.

Return to “u-he”