An Alternative To Reaktor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only option is for NI to f**king man up and don’t let Reaktor and Massive X fade away. Despite all the negativity around the company, their products are the best in game as far as I am concerned. It’s like they don’t respect their own dsp engineers enough to recognise the importance of keeping these magnificent products alive (and updated).

It appears that the DSP engineer was either fired or left on bad terms, leaving the team unable to fix certain issues. Despite these problems, the technology remains among the best, making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replace specific team members. Although I don't know the exact circumstances, it seems like either severe employee sabotage or significant mismanagement at the executive level is unfolding in real time.

For instance, Battery, which is still the best option available despite other suggestions, has been broken for over 1.5 years and cannot recall saved kits. This makes it unusable, and they are aware of the issue. It's unfortunate, but it might be time to consider moving away from NI, even though it's difficult due to their removal of compatible features like SFZ support.

What is particularly frustrating is that all NI would need to do is communicate honestly about what is happening and show respect to its users by allowing them to make informed decisions. Additionally, Reaktor, which has no equal, remains impressively complex, especially considering it was released in 1999.

Look, if anyone has news or actually anything about NI and the future please let me know as I own Realtor, Kontakt 7, Battery, GR, a bunch of purchased blocks and presets for battery going back to like 2005. WTF is going on?!

jrwaltb wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 pm It appears that the DSP engineer was either fired or left on bad terms
Who, Vadim Zavalishin? If so, that's bad.

NI needs to hire Magnus Lidstrum (?). The micro tonic/ sonic charge guy. And give him all the moneys. That guy's is one of the best coders around. Really though I hope they get their shit together. Until just a few years back they were still one of the best companies around. They seemed like they wanted to sort of build an ecosystem around Kontakt, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, Maschine, and Traktor but they instead Frankensteined themselves together with a few other companies and stopped doing much outside of expansions.
I still think Plug Data (plugin version of pure data) is the closest one will get. On top of being free, it's cross platform and supports all the things up to and including custom GUIs and hardcore code based programming while still being relatively simple to get up and running for anyone who can read a signal flow chart.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I doubt they'll be hiring anyone anytime soon. Private equity drains its host then sells it for parts. Hoping a good steward picks up the pieces. Arturia maybe. Reaktor is too good to let it die.

jrwaltb wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 pm It appears that the DSP engineer was either fired or left on bad terms, leaving the team unable to fix certain issues.
If you mean the lead developer and core inventor Vadim Zavalishin , you’re wrong
Just check his linked page , still active at N.I.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Ficciones wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:34 am
jrwaltb wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 pm It appears that the DSP engineer was either fired or left on bad terms
I wouldn’t worry , vadim is still there
https://de.linkedin.com/in/vadim-zavali ... ogle.be%2F
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:58 pm
Ficciones wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:34 am
I wouldn’t worry , vadim is still there
https://de.linkedin.com/in/vadim-zavali ... ogle.be%2F
Keep in mind I like NI but nobody can use Battery for like 1+ years now and I read that Reaktor is frozen at 6.. Reaktor is like a DAW that can build a DAW, still has no equal and released in 1998. That's a lot of code but whatever I guess.

jrwaltb wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 pm but nobody can use Battery for like 1+ years now
i use it quite often actually. :?

vurt wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:43 pm
jrwaltb wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:40 pm but nobody can use Battery for like 1+ years now
i use it quite often actually. :?
That means you are not nobody

I can't, it will not recall my presets and they know about it. M1 Mac. :( For some reason its the only sampler where I get good drum results using only one shots. I think its this bug, probably Mac OS compatibility issues. https://community.native-instruments.co ... 680#latest

jrwaltb wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:42 pm I can't, it will not recall my presets and they know about it. M1 Mac. :( For some reason its the only sampler where I get good drum results using only one shots. I think its this bug, probably Mac OS compatibility issues. https://community.native-instruments.co ... 680#latest
Not sure if it's mac-related, as I kept having that same issue on Windows. NI's suggested workaround is a bit of a hassle to do every time (locate the samples, re-save the kit, delete that battery instance, load new battery instance, load the kit, re-save the project), but it did work for me. It's a bit like slapping the side of an old TV or blowing dust out of a Nintendo cartridge... sometimes you just gotta do esoteric shit to use that old tech. (my apologies if that workaround doesn't do it for macs)

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:53 am
I still think Plug Data (plugin version of pure data) is the closest one will get. On top of being free, it's cross platform and supports all the things up to and including custom GUIs and hardcore code based programming while still being relatively simple to get up and running for anyone who can read a signal flow chart.
True to a certain degree .
I love both reaktor and plugdata ( being verry deep into plugdata lately ) but the beauty of reaktor is it's low level super efficient dsp code with build in compiler .
Pure data has expr~ fexpr~ but it's not as efficient as reaktor core , to be as efficient one needs to code their own externals.
Good luck trying to get something with the same quality as Monark or blocks out of pure data without externals , and let's not even begin about polyphony ( pure horror in pure data ..And max )
For midi sequencing , pure plug data is head and shoulders above Reaktor.
I am now buildig some abstractaions in pd , mostly phase mod. and sequencing ...superfun and great quality
Eyeball exchanging

I was referring to writing externals with the "hardcore code based programming bit". I've never really leaned towards doing "modeling" of analog synthesis or anything in systems like reaktor or pure data. I'm excited that people have written really cool bits like all the nice blocks and Monark bits etc, but there's plenty of cool stuff around for that including reaktor. VCV is grand if you want really nice analog modelled bits and modularity. I mostly use pure data and reaktor for things like odd granular loopers and FFT madness and delay buffer based audio to audio FM in "Real-time". I'm sure if the user base was far larger, you'd see much more high end modelled bits compiled as PD externals. There are some really really complex PD externals that run incredibly efficiently compared to VSTs that are based on the same principles.
Anywho I don't need an "alternative" to reaktor but I do think PD comes closest for many many use cases. I love em both. I can't ever really get hardcore enough to use supercollider or csound as I don't really enjoy typing code.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Yep when set to 2* oversampling pure data sounds just fine .
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Instruments”