Logic Pro 11 is announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

So I was disappointed massively. You can see my post on page 9. Maybe this is copium…

But after further play with 11 do I think it’s an 11 still? No still feels like a 10.9 but who cares. Fr. It seems like we’re getting updates every 6 months now. With the chord track and the midi routing it’s obvious the piano roll being improved (which is all I want, track list like s1 or bigwig or at least multi track focus and edit like Ableton) logic has it kinda like Ableton except way clunkier. But I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next 4 updates I get my wish. These under the hood midi routing is huge.

Also a feature people are sleeping on is right clicking master output and creating a track in arrangement and printing multiple versions of the song in the track alternatives. Good for testing final mixes.

Let’s see if they stick to this 6 month update cycle
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

oobesan wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:09 am this thread is definitely just a bunch of grumpy old men.
Maybe not all old, but definitely a lot of grumpy men complaining about a free update. The biggest feature of Logic 11 for me is that it continues to be free and didn't go subscription. hehehe

BackInCheck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am I'm curious: does anybody do music production / running Logic Pro on a Mac Mini?
Should be absolutely fine but I'd wait a bit, save some money and get the 16GB RAM update. The small SSD is fine and by now, external SSDs are reasonably cheap and fast enough for pretty much everything (such as the Samsung T7). But you really may want more RAM (also to enhance the lifespan of the internal SSD as there'll be less swapping/caching).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

BackInCheck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am I'm curious: does anybody do music production / running Logic Pro on a Mac Mini?

I thought about going that route, but I wonder how viable it is in light of the limited number of ports it has? Also, the base model only comes with 256 gb and 8 gigs of RAM. The next tier is significicantly more expensive and out of reach for me. The reason why I think about the Mac Mini: because it has the new M2 processor and I would love to switch to Logic Pro, since I think overall it is the best "bang for the buck" DAW in terms if included effects, instruments, samples and features.

Currently I have a PC tower, but it's getting old. It has plenty of USB ports and other connections. With the Mac mini I would only be able to connect my mouse and keyboard (or I might have to get wireless ones) and all the available USB ports would be gone (I would probably have to get a wireless keyboard and mouse instead).

With only 256 gb of SSD space, I would also have to add an external drive for samples and to save projects and probably another harddrive for backups.

So I wonder, how practicable is music production on a Mac mini (base model). Anyone with experience, please chime in.
I switched from a TOTL 2020 razer gaming laptop (i7 32gb) to a MacBook air M1, 8gb and 256gb in 2021

It was a big improvement.

The limitations:
In term of CPU, I was able to run any synths in complex sessions without any issue BUT it was starting to suffer if I was trying to mix and master in the very same session (in particular if adding izotope ozone which is extremely power hungry).

So basically you need a bit of discipline.

In terms of ram, I never noticed any ram issue practically BUT, I discover it was in fact swapping with the SSD. It has no impact on the use, is is totally seamless but I wonder if it could prematurely shorten the life of the SSD... As a matter of fact my daughter still use this laptop like everyday, I was using it intensively everyday and it is 4 years old.
Works like a charm.

I also have a Mac Mini 8gb 256 but I use it as Plex, Roon and home automation server. It runs 24/7/365 without any issue, in a drawer and doesn't generate any heat.
Actually it generates less heat than my asus router.

I am on Bitwig, maybe logic is even better optimised for Mac

Thanks guys!

apple will always force hardware updates that cost a ton of money. that's one reason i stopped using their phones. i'm not updating my OS and not updated Logic for now. I don't more bells and whistles and certainly don't need fake session players. staying put with my ANCIENT version of Logic 10.7.9. I wonder how many things are now hidden and stopped working with this newer fancy version. will check back later.

I updated on somoa with open core on a pc. But guess what, I am using more and more bitwig on debian 12 with all the good plugins with wine. These days linux is taking over the desktop and I assume, that even apple and windows will change their views on closed OS. They will switch to AI services as their main income.
artie fichelle sounds natural

Thunderbolt effectively gets rid of any peripheral concerns. I don't know what it's like where you live but here in Seattle the used Mac market is really good, up until last august I had always bought used, because people in my area will sell within the 1 year warranty range, and there's the new yearly warranty offered etc.
all this to say you can opt to search for a decently specced Mini used and get the RAM and storage space you want. For instance ssd/flash drives do much better at 512GB and above, the lifespan goes up exponentially at 512. RAM IMO 16GB is a minimum as well.

revvy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:30 pm I bought Logic in 2013. 11 years ago. How much have I paid on updates since then?

The bitching here is low class trolling at its worst.
Yep, but it's KVR, if there weren't PC trolls in every Mac software thread I'd be suspicious. Even using the dongle trope on cost, users would pay around $600-1000 in upgrades in that amount of time, roughly the cost of a Mac Mini that could run 11.

Ventura runs on 2017 macs expect the Mac Pro, which they want a 2019 or later for. I'm certain people have figured out how to hack Vnetura on to the later cheesegraters and trash cans.

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:45 pm
revvy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:30 pm I bought Logic in 2013. 11 years ago. How much have I paid on updates since then?

The bitching here is low class trolling at its worst.
Yep, but it's KVR, if there weren't PC trolls in every Mac software thread I'd be suspicious. Even using the dongle trope on cost, users would pay around $600-1000 in upgrades in that amount of time, roughly the cost of a Mac Mini that could run 11.

Ventura runs on 2017 macs expect the Mac Pro, which they want a 2019 or later for. I'm certain people have figured out how to hack Vnetura on to the later cheesegraters and trash cans.
You can use:
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/
Which will cover almost all your old Intel Macs.

I got Logic in 2014 with my refurb MBP with an i5, 8Gb. It runs Big Sur, L10.5.1, which really has everything I need since I was happy with the features of L6. I got a refurb M1 MBA last year, so I'm sure I'm good for another ten years. I might get around to updating the OS and Logic later this week since I'll be laid up for a few days.

Anyway, that was 2 computers that cost me $1250 and $200 for Logic over ten years, or $12 and a few pennies a month. I've still got several years too go on the MBA...

It's only those weirdos that have to update their Mac yearly that spend money, but it seems they're happy to spend it. I'd probably update every 2-3 years if I could afford it.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

The new Session "Players" work well. Plus some useful improvements to Drummer. Next experiment is to see how well they follow playing without a metronome.

I think this is a w. it appears were getting 6 month update cycles since the ipad sub and my guess fcp and lp went to 11 is to have updates every 6 months or so and be on the same version numbers. i just hope we get 6 month update cycles its been nice since the ipad has gotten that sub for that one reason only. Hopefully one of the update cycles focuses on the piano roll. very jelly of ableton and fl piano roll. how do we not have track lists?? also if they arent going to fix ara can we get multi track flex pitch and some sorta vocal align as well as polyphonic flex pitch. i realize thats a huge ask. Its the most insane thing to me to be like okay its vocal time now and to close my daw click the app icon options to turn the app in a different mode to work with vocals. maybe grid to shine through region in the arrangement too.

but piano roll first as i can record vocals with ara its just a process
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Ploki wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:14 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:42 pm Can we please stick to the topic which is Logic Pro 11.
Logic Pro 11 is disappointing
For you... for song writing, the new chord track and players along with the improved drummer track are great. I wrote some new lyrics yesterday, figured out the melody on my guitar and then had a solid song structure in under an hour. It's impressive and flexible. I'm sure these new tools will be useful for lots of musicians/song writers.

Unfortunately the Chord Track doesn't allow me to utilize scales as I see fit, it always looks at the key track and decides on it's own. And the last thing I want is to insert a key change when there really isn't any, just me not being of the same opinion as the Chord Track.

And they defenitely shouldn't have released the Studio Bass plugin at all. CPU spikes all over the place at low buffersizes, even on the newest machines.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Got the update, fired up the Session bass, and in a couple minutes I had nice two-bar phrase going. Grabbed my own bass, played along a bit, then riffed on my own for a while

That was fun, and I like fun. Update good IMO

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”