Arturia PolyBrute 12

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would have preferred Arturia to go in the opposite direction and develop a cheaper/smaller Polybrute 6.

Was surprised that it weighs 50 pounds.
That's Moog One territory. :hihi:
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

I like the new Arturia look. Cheesy but almost deluxe 60s/70s. Lots of impressive specs but for me personally, not worth the $$$s, even though I have several thousand sat in my toys account. I could easily afford but don't think I want it. MPE - meh. Fancy keyboard - meh. I do like the sound of the synth architecture though. I get easily sucked into the wow factor of shitloads of voices, but really honestly I don't play that kind of stuff. I need to get some kind of Brute - love what I've heard of those Steiner filters and the aggro character they seem to have. I think the straight PB suits me more, or if I'm being sensible, then a Matrix maybe. I really would love to have that as my main keyboard but...really, I wouldn't use a fraction of what it offers. :( . Seems more of a player's synth than a twiddler's synth though admittedly with a shitload of depth.

n9research wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:56 pm
Double Tap wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 pm Music Radar's news story on it seems to say that you can slide your finger up and down the key to modulate sounds:
Not what it means, unfortunately. it works on pressure (from the very first initial downward movement of the key), not the finger position on the key
Yeah watching the video shows it’s clearly not what I thought/hoped, although I’m still slightly confused on how this is different from plain poly AT.

Double Tap wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:41 pm
Double Tap wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:09 pm Music Radar's news story on it seems to say that you can slide your finger up and down the key to modulate sounds:
Not what it means, unfortunately. it works on pressure (from the very first initial downward movement of the key), not the finger position on the key
Yeah watching the video shows it’s clearly not what I thought/hoped, although I’m still slightly confused on how this is different from plain poly AT.
Because it's not AFTER touch, that is there is still traditional aftertouch available, which is pressure after the key has reached the normal end point of travel vertically, but this FullTouch seems to allow for continuous graduated pressure across the entirety of the key's travel (more like the Osmose).

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 pm
Because it's not AFTER touch, that is there is still traditional aftertouch available, which is pressure after the key has reached the normal end point of travel vertically, but this FullTouch seems to allow for continuous graduated pressure across the entirety of the key's travel (more like the Osmose).
There is also a regular PolyAT mode as well...

aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 pm
Ah! Got it - thanks for explaining

Nice, but there's a lot more stuff that I'd spend that kind of money on before this...

pekbro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:17 am Nice, but there's a lot more stuff that I'd spend that kind of money on before this...
Yea, I think the FLOOD of new hardware will thin sales out. I am looking at the more esoteric stuff :borg: I will definitely try this out through!

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:28 am
pekbro wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:17 am Nice, but there's a lot more stuff that I'd spend that kind of money on before this...
Yea, I think the FLOOD of new hardware will thin sales out. I am looking at the more esoteric stuff :borg: I will definitely try this out though!

Arturia has been steadily climbing the synth ladder.
With 12 voices and Full-Touch keybed, this is a whole lot more appealing (to me) than the OG.
I'd love to see three oscillators... but the pair of Saw waves (without any effects) that I've heard in a couple demos sounds nice and thick.
Seems to also have top-end that UB-XA and Moog One are missing.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

egbert101 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:18 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm
VariKusBrainZ wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:15 pm Wonder how close the VST is. I do like the general Brute sound, having a microbrute
What VST? PolyBrute Connect doesn’t generate sound. It’s just a controller.
OP's post stated:
Plugin Version for DAW Integration
So he assumed a VST plugin.
Oh… you think he meant, “how close to being released?” Maybe. I would assume it would be ready upon the ship date.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

My main concern is the keybed itself. It's really rather poor on the original. It's way too mushy combined with weirdly shaped keys. It's one of the most uncomfortable keybeds I've ever played.

So if this is more of the same but with some added poly AT and MPE goodies, it's still a 100% no-go for me. I really do like the PB Synth engine though and was hoping we would get a desktop version.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Yeah. I had a PolyBrute once and the keybed felt the cheapest of any synth I've owned. It was that and a number of quality control issues that made me return it.

I'm wondering if Arturia might have changed the PB keybed at some point without announcing it or something. I'm a formerly trained keyboardist that has been playing piano/synths for my entire life, and my keybed feel does not jive with the complaints I constantly read about. Actually, it feels pretty much identical to my MatrixBrute, and I don't see the same widespread complaints about its keybed.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”