PA/Brainworx bx_glue NEW

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do we need another compressor? New compressors have been coming out since compressors were invented. The answer appears to be "yes" (same for reverbs).

I demoed this and I was surpised. I was expecting to be under-whelmed. bx_glue actually sounds pretty good and has some unique aspects. Worth a look and listen maybe...
  • Unique and flexible dual-band glue compressor inspired by legendary British bus compressors
  • Detailed input, output, and gain reduction meters, and auto gain control for accurate easy monitoring
  • Ability to match and replicate almost any VCA compressor’s character
  • Classic VCA compressor in a modern two-band matrix
  • Stereo compressor with a single set of controls
  • Sophisticated Tilt/Tub Emphasis for dynamic tonal balance
  • Band Tilt instead of makeup gain to simplify tonal balance
  • Classic and Dirty total harmonic distortion (THD)
  • Nickel and Iron transformer models
  • Inaudible 12 dB/oct two-way crossover
  • Adjustable XL saturation
  • Spectral analysis and precise i/o metering
  • Auto gain to conduct level-matched A/B comparisons
  • Stereo Width and Mono Maker
  • Advanced Sidechain Option: blend external and internal key sources
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 1.13.09 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plexuss on Thu May 09, 2024 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don’t need any more compressors at all ever again but I’ll check this out I suppose. I like these modern Brainworx plugins, although I haven’t bought any of them because I don’t need them-or any more plugins at all really

Yeah looks like a great compressor with a killer set of features, but does anyone really need another compressor?

I guess I'll know when I try it...

Does it sound surprisingly decent? Yes. Would I assuredly forget about it in 3-4 weeks like the 300 other compressors I have that I thought sounded decent and needed? Yes. Will I forget all this and wind up getting it in 3-4 months when it's already on sale for $29 and use it 2-3 times before completely forgetting about it? Also, yes. :?

Don't be so quick to dismiss the Tone and Emphasis features and how they work with the compression. I think there is something here beyond the obivious.

Note that it's crossovers are not linear phase. It's 6dB/octave minimum phase. This means that even if you use the dry/wet mix knob you will be shifting the polarity 180 degrees below the corner frequency of the band split.. yes even if you 100% link the compressor and it shows you a single wideband graph. It's still actually split.

There's also no stereo link/unlink option which is a shame.

Having said all that, to my ears it sounds damn good. Quite clearly SSL bus compression but with a slightly different flavor than my other options. Not sure I'll sacrifice a voucher for this but we'll see.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Need another compressor like a hole in my head and since it's by brainworx I am not even tempted to demo.
Some devs obviously have no clue how to stimulate the appetite.
I purchased the orignal Glue already many years ago and am still content
I remember sniffy Dirk posting there never will be auto gain, when users demanded it and now there obviously is and bx really think they have invented the bicycle? Lol

Oversampling?

HcDoom wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 am Oversampling?
Oversample it in Reaper. Otherwise, no OS feature. Not sure what the internal rate is. I tested bx_glue at 96k project rate to see if there is any brickwall... there isn't, it appears to work properly at 96k. Good! Many plugins do not.

No. It doesn't oversample internally at all. But it's not a huge issue unless you push it really hard. The mojo parts of the plugin are quite subtle harmonics and mostly tilted towards the low end (more harmonics there than higher up). The compression itself can cause some aliasing and intermodulation distortion but as it's not got super fast timings and one typically uses an SSL type bus compressor with quite long attack times, it's not really a huge problem.

bmanic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 pm
No. It doesn't oversample internally at all. But it's not a huge issue unless you push it really hard. The mojo parts of the plugin are quite subtle harmonics and mostly tilted towards the low end (more harmonics there than higher up). The compression itself can cause some aliasing and intermodulation distortion but as it's not got super fast timings and one typically uses an SSL type bus compressor with quite long attack times, it's not really a huge problem.
"Most of the Brainworx-developed plugins do internal oversampling. Feel free to get in touch with our support team for more details: https://bit.ly/3QBbNVC"

Offical Answer from Brainworkx Facebook Account to a comment on this plugin.

bmanic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:30 am Note that it's crossovers are not linear phase. It's 6dB/octave minimum phase. This means that even if you use the dry/wet mix knob you will be shifting the polarity 180 degrees below the corner frequency of the band split.. yes even if you 100% link the compressor and it shows you a single wideband graph. It's still actually split.
Ooopsy! But is there a non-linear phase solution with low latency? No band split at all? :roll:

What about the sidechain and emphasis and mono maker? Also not linear phase, eh? :hihi:

So the pase gets all :ud: :wink: :ud: :( :ud: :?

That's great! That's creative! :tu: :oops:

And yes, one can actually hear the difference, in case s.o. is wondering. Just try Pro-Q with and without Linear Phase (Maximum).

The Main Event wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:28 pm
bmanic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 pm
"Most of the Brainworx-developed plugins do internal oversampling. Feel free to get in touch with our support team for more details: https://bit.ly/3QBbNVC"

Offical Answer from Brainworkx Facebook Account to a comment on this plugin.
Yeah, key words being "most of them". BX_Glue isn't one of them.. or at the most it's 2x oversampling but I ain't seeing any proper filtering implemented and aliasing is up to -70dBFS and the harmonic structure bounce (the aliasing) doesn't change shape at all when it bounces. So yeah.. either there is no oversampling or it isn't working. There is 15 samples of latency introduced by the plugin but this may be there for the compressor algorithm alone.

Medenka wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:14 pm
bmanic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:30 am Note that it's crossovers are not linear phase. It's 6dB/octave minimum phase. This means that even if you use the dry/wet mix knob you will be shifting the polarity 180 degrees below the corner frequency of the band split.. yes even if you 100% link the compressor and it shows you a single wideband graph. It's still actually split.
Ooopsy! But is there a non-linear phase solution with low latency? No band split at all? :roll:

What about the sidechain and emphasis and mono maker? Also not linear phase, eh? :hihi:

So the pase gets all :ud: :wink: :ud: :( :ud: :?

That's great! That's creative! :tu: :oops:

And yes, one can actually hear the difference, in case s.o. is wondering. Just try Pro-Q with and without Linear Phase (Maximum).
It's not a huge issue as the filters are not steep. They are only 6dB/octave so the phase warp is rather mild.

Still, it does mean you can't use this on a parallel crush bus or an aux without issues. I would prefer linear phase in this case as long as the steepness is only 6dB/octave. Linear phase has it's own big problems when the steepness is larger.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 am Does it sound surprisingly decent? Yes. Would I assuredly forget about it in 3-4 weeks like the 300 other compressors I have that I thought sounded decent and needed? Yes. Will I forget all this and wind up getting it in 3-4 months when it's already on sale for $29 and use it 2-3 times before completely forgetting about it? Also, yes. :?
:hihi:

Return to “Effects”