Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Always good to see a video starring Dave ! Although in the first few minutes he says that 5.2 is available to any of our users which I don't think is correct ?

Thank you pdxindy for the icebreaker video, this thread needed this lol 8)

As always users of the program proved that they don’t even used the program themselves… 🤦

SmajjL wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:18 pm Thank you pdxindy for the icebreaker video, this thread needed this lol 8)
It's a good overview of 5.2 stuff... A more in-depth video about the new editing features would be helpful. I'm slowly getting used to the new editing options.

pdxindy wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:38 pm
SmajjL wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:18 pm Thank you pdxindy for the icebreaker video, this thread needed this lol 8)
It's a good overview of 5.2 stuff... A more in-depth video about the new editing features would be helpful. I'm slowly getting used to the new editing options.
The beatdetection alone is making my cry of joy - 5.2 is going to be Huge for *me* with all of this stuff :clap:
I think it is just a matter of time before some youtuber does it, guess they also have seen this video now ;)

Note: Bitwig is aware of the display problems with the Iris XE onboard gpu's apparently. They are working on it I was told. :tu:

SmajjL wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm
The beatdetection alone is making my cry of joy - 5.2 is going to be Huge for *me* with all of this stuff :clap:
I think it is just a matter of time before some youtuber does it, guess they also have seen this video now ;)
Have you thoroughly tested the 5.2 beatdetection? The underlying algorithm has not changed since 5.0! Quote from the 5.2 changelog: "Our new, higher-resolution onset detector from Bitwig Studio v5 provides even better data and allows for new functions. By doing beat detection, beat markers (and audio start positions) are now placed more accurately, to match your project like a glove". So, what is improved is the application of the algorithm, but not the algorithm itself. Which is a great pity.
Because the onset/transient detection of Bitwig still is not en par with industry leading software (Serato, Traktor, and even Ableton). Which gets blatantly obvious when
- using audio quantization
- importing complex sample material
I fully support you crying tears of joy, but i hope they are due to actual positive experience and not wishful thinking. Because i was very hopeful too, and got disappointed badly. I can't wait for an actual upgrade of the algorithm for onset/transient detection, so Bitwig will finally be SPOT ON when it comes to audio quantization and automatic warping. Right now, it is not spot on. It got better, which is great... but it is not as accurate as one would hope and expect from a modern tool.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:53 am
Have you thoroughly tested the 5.2 beatdetection? The underlying algorithm has not changed since 5.0! Quote from the 5.2 changelog: "Our new, higher-resolution onset detector from Bitwig Studio v5 provides even better data and allows for new functions. By doing beat detection, beat markers (and audio start positions) are now placed more accurately, to match your project like a glove". So, what is improved is the application of the algorithm, but not the algorithm itself. Which is a great pity.
Because the onset/transient detection of Bitwig still is not en par with industry leading software (Serato, Traktor, and even Ableton). Which gets blatantly obvious when
I fully support you crying tears of joy, but i hope they are due to actual positive experience and not wishful thinking. Because i was very hopeful too, and got disappointed badly. I can't wait for an actual upgrade of the algorithm for onset/transient detection, so Bitwig will finally be SPOT ON when it comes to audio quantization and automatic warping. Right now, it is not spot on. It got better, which is great... but it is not as accurate as one would hope and expect from a modern tool.
Well, it is a Beta1 (baby) still today and besides that i mentioned one reference (Boney M - Painterman) that also have an audioble obvious beat in it but drifting as heck right n left and Bitwig handeled that one then i automatically assume what other kinds of songs should work in theory already. :)

If you have a song title with a beat that does not work that you think should work with what we've got so far then i'm curious to try it, just saying not much work or (i'm unhappy) or in-superiour to Ableton is text and Bitwig does not quantize text as far as i know - give me One name/title so i can find it and also so we understand how complicated stuff Bitwig needs to handle at your house 8)

I have Live 12 and we all know Live can handle most stuff and they even updated it last year and got even better and it is amazing and provide information on what is possible already, but this is about Bitwig and the fact it is now on their Table and they improved already makes me happy and none of your alternatives have a Linux-build, i think :)
The release is early summer hopefully - hopefully the beatdetection and everything will improve as it is now in there so they have something to improve.

Did you give Live tough opinions when they added beatdetection during a Beta1 also or - and that would be the reason Live is so good now with that?
*me hides* ;)

SmajjL wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:39 pm
Well, it is a Beta1 (baby) still today and besides that i mentioned one reference (Boney M - Painterman) that also have an audioble obvious beat in it but drifting as heck right n left and Bitwig handeled that one then i automatically assume what other kinds of songs should work in theory already. :)

If you have a song title with a beat that does not work that you think should work with what we've got so far then i'm curious to try it, just saying not much work or (i'm unhappy) or in-superiour to Ableton is text and Bitwig does not quantize text as far as i know - give me One name/title so i can find it and also so we understand how complicated stuff Bitwig needs to handle at your house 8)

I have Live 12 and we all know Live can handle most stuff and they even updated it last year and got even better and it is amazing and provide information on what is possible already, but this is about Bitwig and the fact it is now on their Table and they improved already makes me happy and none of your alternatives have a Linux-build, i think :)
The release is early summer hopefully - hopefully the beatdetection and everything will improve as it is now in there so they have something to improve.

Did you give Live tough opinions when they added beatdetection during a Beta1 also or - and that would be the reason Live is so good now with that?
*me hides* ;)
Good that you have good experiences with it!

Out of Serato, Traktor, and Ableton, Ableton is by far not the best concerning this topic.
It's just that in comparison to Bitwig, Ableton is still superior, especially when it comes to hitting Audio Quantize and having a good result instantly. When it comes to Track-imports, Ableton still isn't the best, i agree! Still work to do there.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:56 pm
SmajjL wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:39 pm

*me hides* ;)
Good that you have good experiences with it!

Out of Serato, Traktor, and Ableton, Ableton is by far not the best concerning this topic.
It's just that in comparison to Bitwig, Ableton is still superior, especially when it comes to hitting Audio Quantize and having a good result instantly. When it comes to Track-imports, Ableton still isn't the best, i agree! Still work to do there.
Are you thinking about Quality or the Quantize resuts with these? it looks like Serato have a downloadable demo for me to try because i have not and i happen to be on Windows this second and i'm curious by nature. ;)
But i would love for you to join me in crying and so let me remind you that Bitwig has now has an option to Apply the Tempo Curve to the Arranger and that is so helpful that i think i am going to cry again... thx... ;)

nowiamone wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:53 am I fully support you crying tears of joy, but i hope they are due to actual positive experience and not wishful thinking. Because i was very hopeful too, and got disappointed badly. I can't wait for an actual upgrade of the algorithm for onset/transient detection, so Bitwig will finally be SPOT ON when it comes to audio quantization and automatic warping. Right now, it is not spot on. It got better, which is great... but it is not as accurate as one would hope and expect from a modern tool.
Have you actually tried in 5.2? Unless you have tested it vs 5.1, you are assuming they haven't.

Gotta say the auto-gain in the chain device is extremely helpful. I would love it if there was a keyboard shortcut to group devices into a chain rather than an fx layer or somehow include the auto-gain on an fx layer.

Bjørnson wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:27 pm Nevertheless, I spend more of my time here on KVR checking for updates about VSTs and Bitwig than actually making music. It's addicting and easier :party:
How is wading through 90% rubbish for the 5% gold and 5% funny, easier than making music.

Please give yourself a kick up the ar*e!

Bitwig 50 percent discount prove that business is not doing well. I wonder why.
Bitwig fanboys will continue to fap of questionable releases. Good luck. I have a head and can think.

Return to “Bitwig”