Best approach for integration of hardware effects and instruments in MuLab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well said Michael :tu:

First, master a your tools, then you and only you would know if worth the time and usability to the rest of us (users) to do a proper request ;)

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:32 am
pljones wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:35 ameffectively a "custom instrument/FX" wrapper for that piece of hardware that, when created, measures any latency and declares that back to the host, so the host can do any automated compensation that it offers?
yeah, basically.

would be nice if someone got around to combining that in one plugin with some sort of MIDI CC controls, (and maybe Program Change) I reckon.
and also take care of the audio routing:

https://www.bitwig.com/hardware-integration/

Michael L wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:06 am
marcora wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:42 pm My question was about whether something like the "External Fx/Instrument" devices offered by Bitwig, Live, Studio One, Logic, etc. (where one needs only to specify MIDI and audio outputs + audio input and everything is automagically latency compensated) are available in MuLab.
The 'HW FX' device in Bitwig is just an audio router and a 'report latency' button. When you press the button, it reports latency in samples to the host.

Similarly, the MuLab 'Latency Generator' is used to "manually define a latency for hardware synth/fx that doesn't report its latency, and so it gets included in the APLC system. (Automatic Plugin Latency Compensation)" to quote the Mulab Docs.
LG.png
I have not had the need for it, but best to give it a try.

If you have hw that cannot report latency, try this to measures input + output together:
https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php
Thanks a lot! :)

marcora wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:19 pmand also take care of the audio routing:
As a Mac user, you "take care of the audio routing" in your MacOS Audio Setup with an Aggregate Device (or maybe a Multi-Output, depending on use case) and then just select it in Mulab.

IMO, it's more stable to route directly at the 'lower' OS level rather than with a DAW interface one level 'above' that just maps to the OS. Fewer steps to go wrong, especially with MacOS compatibility issues.

I observe that MuLab is overall designed with more hands-on, lower-level control rather than automagic buttons. It requires more knowledge, but knowledge is power !
:party:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Sadly, MuLab is not the best companion for modern HW inst/effects ime.
It depends on what the user is after of course, so ymmv :shrug:

*of course, I say this as I struggle with Mulab and OXIONE... :lol:

Michael L wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:09 pm
marcora wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:19 pmand also take care of the audio routing:
As a Mac user, you "take care of the audio routing" in your MacOS Audio Setup with an Aggregate Device (or maybe a Multi-Output, depending on use case) and then just select it in Mulab.

IMO, it's more stable to route directly at the 'lower' OS level rather than with a DAW interface one level 'above' that just maps to the OS. Fewer steps to go wrong, especially with MacOS compatibility issues.
No, not as good a solution where your external devices may not be consistently connected, ie where you swap the external device chain in some fashion, directly or via a patchbay. Abstraction is useful for a reason.

Not convinced by the stability argument either. If you're finding your DAW introduces stability issues just by changing which IO channels its using for what, an utterly core operation, you may want to reconsider your DAW.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:31 amNo, not as good a solution where your external devices may not be consistently connected
MacOS Audio Setup updates the Aggregate Device routing when you change IO devices.
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:31 am If you're finding your DAW introduces stability issues just by changing which IO channels its using for what, an utterly core operation, you may want to reconsider your DAW.
Nah, you can't blame a developer for compatibility problems arising from Xcode or OS version 'updates' because Apple does not make it easy.

I would rather setup my DAW audio to an Aggregate Device and make IO changes in MacOS Audio Setup but YMMV because use cases can vary a lot, e.g pekbro!
Last edited by Michael L on Sun May 05, 2024 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

pekbro wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:23 am*of course, I say this as I struggle with Mulab and OXIONE... :lol:
We are suitably impressed :clap:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:14 am
pekbro wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:23 am*of course, I say this as I struggle with Mulab and OXIONE... :lol:
Yes, yes... we know you r mulab's biggest fan. :roll:

Michael L wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:10 amMacOS Audio Setup updates the Aggregate Device routing when you change IO devices.
So what? Im not talking about IO devices, Im talking about the instruments and effects devices plugged into your IO devices. You know, like the actual thread subject is about.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pekbro wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:30 am
No, what I meant is that OXIONE seems to be the *ultimate* use case for hardware effects and instruments.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

nmv
Last edited by Michael L on Sun May 05, 2024 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:40 am
pekbro wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:30 am
No, what I meant is that OXIONE seems to be the *ultimate* use case for hardware effects and instruments.
Actually, what I meant was that having difficulty with the oxione probably wasn't putting me in the best frame of mind when it comes to mulab and hardware. You
are the one trying to put what I said into your own context.

Which is typical fare for you, sadly.

Anyway, whatever, once again I am done talking to you. :pray:

nvm
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

pekbro wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:49 amonce again I am done talking to you. :pray:
OK :hug:
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “MUTOOLS”