IKs MixBox

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 am There are four all-new reverb algorithms. It states this on the MixBox web page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mixbox
Ah - so these aren't based on CSR at all, despite being the same four types?

I had assumed that it's a macro-system that controls CSR under the hood.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

vata44 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 am
Teksonik wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 pm Seeing there is a sale on MixBox now reminded me that I already own it so I thought I'd give it some time today. One thing that sets my OCD to screaming is the EQ's are upside down. Low frequency on the top High frequency on the bottom. Not impossible to use by any means but drives me nuts. :?
Yeah, wtf 😳
It makes zero musical sense but then that's IK for you...... :?

Lotuz2019 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:58 am I posted this in June 2021 at gearspace:
Look at the new EQ-PA. At first I thought that was a good thing, but now it's inconsistent, because the other channel strips/equalizers are still 'upside down'.
Almost three years later this hasn't changed. :neutral:
Yeah it's not going to change. No profit in that. Just like the complaints for years about the fuzzy GUIs on the MixBox versions compared to the TRacks versions. They did improve them a bit but they're still not as crisp and clear.

I own all the TRacks versions of the MixBox plugins so I just use them.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yeah same, I just can’t get used to bass on the top, it’s off-putting.

Can anyone who owns this and Guitar Rig 6/7 comment on how they compare CPU-wise, with roughly the same types of modules?

Cheers :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 4:12 pm Can anyone who owns this and Guitar Rig 6/7 comment on how they compare CPU-wise, with roughly the same types of modules?

Cheers :tu:
You got me curious. I've got both and quickly compared it with Guitar Rig 6 and IK Tonex. Guitar Rig takes about ~3 times more CPU, but it also has a better sound quality and way more effects, e.g. the Raum Reverb just sounds great. I've also compared it to one Tonex Instance (but without an overdrive/distortion pedal in between) and it took surprisingly little CPU (even a little less than Mixbox). But that's probably because its not using physical modeling (which is CPU intensive), but a neural net architecture.

My Computer sports an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X with 32GB of DDR4 RAM. I used Reaper DAW.

Btw. Mixbox also loads quickly, which cannot be said of Guitar Rig (or anything NI). I don't play much guitar at the moment, but I currently enjoy the mix of Tonex with IK Mixbox as a pre-amp stage and some Valhalla Reverb / Delay as post-stage.
2024-05-03 07_57_22-[unsaved project] - REAPER v7.15 - Licensed for personal use.png
2024-05-03 08_01_06-[unsaved project] - REAPER v7.15 - Licensed for personal use.png
2024-05-03 08_05_04-[unsaved project] - REAPER v7.15 - Licensed for personal use.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Thanks so much for the very comprehensive reply. It's a very useful comparison, and kinda what I was expecting.

I have GR6, and think it's a fantastic multi-fx plugin. When I saw the recent Mixbox prices, I wondered if I could create a similar or better set of mixing patches in GR. But it didn't take too many of the Softube plugins for for it to start shooting up. It certainly would be the most CPU-hungry channel-strip I have.

Think I'll keep GR for special channels and bounce-in-place if things get crazy. But I may vey well jump on Mixbox, at some point.

Thanks again :tu:

I think with the load times it is because MixBox loads on a module by module basis, whereas Guitar Rig loads in all of the modules, which doesn't make as much sense as that would consume more overhead.

Yeah, the "bass on top" layout drives me crazy too, I suspect they're trying to stay away from being accused or ripping off someone else's UI patent, lite Slate or something. Convention exists for a reason.

I don't carte too much though, many things in life has its idiosyncrasies, a Moog Model D for one, a Vox AC30 for another, this is just another one of them.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:53 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:56 am
concealed identity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:14 am Edit: I just had a look at T-RackS, and I guess it's the Classic Studio Reverb modules from there.
Actually, I believe the versions in Mixbox have been refined a little.
I doubt that tbh since these algos where coded by Martin Lind way before he founded Relab.
Yeah as it works out they are different, They just have a similar look and sound to some respect, but there is nothing else they have in common.

Return to “Effects”