Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The cpu usage of Comp+ is not that bad for me, I can put 25 instances on a track before it hits 90+% CPU.

That is, unless the Saturate color mode is activated. It uses way more cpu than the other color modes. Almost 2x as much as without coloring. I can only get 15 instances on a track with it activated.

In real world usage, I'm not worried, but I might avoid Saturate mode for larger projects.

spoontechnique wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 am In real world usage, I'm not worried, but I might avoid Saturate mode for larger projects.
Interesting sound decision :D :D

I mainly use fabfilter Pro c2 and Pro MB (along with some UAD character compressors) so will be comparing with those for CPU and sound, I’ll post when I do. Waiting until it’s more stable as on a PC you have to download and then uninstall each version, last beta I think I had to uninstall 8 old copies manually!

Hopefully at some point there will be the option to replace rather than make multiple copies, especially on betas.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Milkman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 pm I dont think the audio stretch / snap to tempo feature is working, or Im doing something wrong.
In the case of Boney M - Painterman, i drag the file from a folder right into the arrange and i had -pre set the BPM to 128 then Edit > Track > Stretch and there should be orange markers lined up nicely.
Bitwigs Detect Tempo Changes and Sync to Playing Tempo was on and it did a good job with it.

But... i just tried it on Windows 11 and that was not exactly a success.. but on Ubuntu 24.04 it was, hmm, will try more with Ubuntu tomorrow and i am not qualified to explain the why's of this one if it works better on Ubuntu.. :)

Ps, read it as top secret information, it is beta1 after all.. unless you are curious and/or work for NASA or summit ;)

I started a project in 5.2 and now that I'm invested in this project I'm noticing crashes every few minutes. Even my Nektar LX Mini keeps giving an error every 20 mins or so. I tried reloading 5.18 but my project isn't backwards compatible. Guess I'll have to scrap this song and start new projects in 5.18... just giving you all heads up if you think about starting new music in 5.2

p.s. one of the stranger crashes is the HELP button. It crashes almost every time.

Digital-Aura wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 pm I started a project in 5.2 and now that I'm invested in this project I'm noticing crashes every few minutes. Even my Nektar LX Mini keeps giving an error every 20 mins or so. I tried reloading 5.18 but my project isn't backwards compatible. Guess I'll have to scrap this song and start new projects in 5.18... just giving you all heads up if you think about starting new music in 5.2

p.s. one of the stranger crashes is the HELP button. It crashes almost every time.
Save your project and wait for beta 2 or 3 and you will likely be able to continue with it.

Somehow... the separate 5.2 installation modified one of my Bitwig sound packages from 5.1.8, and now the "Essentials" collection in 5.1.8 has a flag on it and says "you need to be at least version 5.2 to use this".

Yeah Im getting a good number of crashes in 5.2, but not whole program crashes. Ive been dragging/dropping samples into the arranger or into clips when this has happened. I really dig the new interface, the new compressor, etc, but I think I need to work on the time stretch/sync stuff a bit more.

So the multiband compressor isn't really multiband?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 am So the multiband compressor isn't really multiband?
It has never been marketed as a multiband compressor.

muzicxs wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 am So the multiband compressor isn't really multiband?
From the website, this makes it seem like there's a mb mode:
"Even the output section is stocked with different VCA Colors, including analog options that are stable (transistor-style) or moving (like tape saturation), as well as a more digital flavor that mixes in true multiband at the output. Good for familiar directions and finding new ones"

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 am From the website, this makes it seem like there's a mb mode:
"Even the output section is stocked with different VCA Colors, including analog options that are stable (transistor-style) or moving (like tape saturation), as well as a more digital flavor that mixes in true multiband at the output. Good for familiar directions and finding new ones"
Hmm, interesting. So it seems to be a Swiss Army knife. From the first paragraph it states to do multiband analysis for single band compression. However, they indeed do mention there's a multiband option at the output.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 am
There's no crossovers for the Prism mode... even if the crossovers were hidden, you would see the effect of them by looking at the phase. And if it were linear phase, then there would be a lot more latency. So not sure what they are doing that they are calling mixing in true multiband at the output for the Prism mode.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:06 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 am
There's no crossovers for the Prism mode... even if the crossovers were hidden, you would see the effect of them by looking at the phase. And if it were linear phase, then there would be a lot more latency. So not sure what they are doing that they are calling mixing in true multiband at the output for the Prism mode.
Just trying out Prism with white-noise and different intensity settings, looks like some form of multi-band to me:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have watched the video on compressor+ on bitwig.com again. I still don't have a clue ... from "it's only multi-band analysis" over "per band upwards and downwards compression" up to "unified compression" this is all really disturbing pieces of "information" in one video ... I understand the urgent need for distinction of a niche company ... but I'm utterly puzzled whether all this goes in the right direction... only my personal opinion.
I really don't want to go PhD Thesis style individual re-engineering analysis to understand a commodity feature like compression... I have to honestly admit: this compressor+ is too much for me. Either I upgrade to Peter+ or better stick to bread & butter compressors which I understand.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:30 am I have watched the video on compressor+ on bitwig.com again. I still don't have a clue ... from "it's only multi-band analysis" over "per band upwards and downwards compression" up to "unified compression" this is all really disturbing pieces of "information" in one video ... I understand the urgent need for distinction of a niche company ... but I'm utterly puzzled whether all this goes in the right direction... only my personal opinion.
I really don't want to go PhD Thesis style individual re-engineering analysis to understand a commodity feature like compression... I have to honestly admit: this compressor+ is too much for me. Either I upgrade to Peter+ or better stick to bread & butter compressors which I understand.
Pretty much what I was posting earlier, I have already invested a lot of time learning (in use/listening) a few good 3rd party compressors that do everything I need. I felt the same about most of the other + effects but obviously others enjoy them and see the benefit over 3rd party plugins.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Bitwig”