Delay, again, 2024.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love PSP85 for its filter and modulation capabilities.

I quite like the SSL X-Delay nowadays. I think it sounds lovely. For what it’s worth I prefer it to the digital mode in Valhalla. I think it supposed to model the tc 2290 (not too sure) which hasn’t got as much character as other vintage digital delays (think RMX, PCM, Prime Time), but it blends really well with the mix.

i also like x-delay and prefer it to Valhalla delay. i’m still shocked that i don’t like Valhalla delay that much. on paper i should love it and love their other products but i’ve never liked it’s overall sound. i just never reach for it.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm Not sure why some other people recommended more expensive delays, like Timeless 3 (with its awful UX for simple delay uses).
You forgot to mention "and its dull and generic digital sound". :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

This thread caused me to check out Replika XT, and I gotta say that I absolutely love it.

I also never really gave the native Cubase multi-tap delay plugin much of a look in the past (I've always used the more vanilla delays), but it's pretty fantastic, even without using the multi-tap function and using it like a normal delay. So many options for applying and routing effects, it's really quite unique and powerful!

t.o.t.s. wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 pm i also like x-delay and prefer it to Valhalla delay. i’m still shocked that i don’t like Valhalla delay that much. on paper i should love it and love their other products but i’ve never liked it’s overall sound. i just never reach for it.
Revisit it sometime - check out all the modes, maybe try it on a send instead of directly on a track, if you haven't already.

It is a fantastic delay, super versatile - the modes make a huge difference to the sound.

concealed identity wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 pm This thread caused me to check out Replika XT, and I gotta say that I absolutely love it.

I also never really gave the native Cubase multi-tap delay plugin much of a look in the past (I've always used the more vanilla delays), but it's pretty fantastic, even without using the multi-tap function and using it like a normal delay. So many options for applying and routing effects, it's really quite unique and powerful!
I use Cubase multitap in most things. It's deeper than most 3rd party delays, being modular almost. I'd use it for big filtered dub delays as it's almost perfect for that, BUT its big limitation is the resonant filter only seems to work with LFO, not in the feedback loop directly. It's a surprisingly common limitation in a lot of delays IMO. And its GUI is a bit Byzantine. The multitap graph thing just does my head in - it doesn't ever do what its labels make me think it should do. But it can do some really coloured, mangled delays. If I had to use only 1 delay, I could happily live with it. I wonder how many Cubase users automatically reach for 3rd party not realizing they have some real powerhouse FX in Cubase already?

roman.i wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:39 pm
Also tested and didn't like:
Valhalla delay
why

Zoopy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 am
Valhalla delay
why
I don't like both the sound and the interface.

kritikon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm I wonder how many Cubase users automatically reach for 3rd party not realizing they have some real powerhouse FX in Cubase already?
In my case, I recently upgraded from Cubase 4 to 12, so I think that played a role in it. In its earlier days, Cubase had quite a few plugins that were of not great quality imo; either because of the sound, or an unintuitive interface, or a strange or lacking set of features. Some weren't bad, but they had better third party equivalents, either paid or free.

So over the years, I've found a lot of plugins I really like, and in general didn't look too closely at the native Cubase ones. Of the ones I did look at, some were brilliant (Frequency, Quadrafuzz, Magneto, Retrologue, now the Multitap Delay), some I still felt were lacking (I didn't like the selection of filters and found them difficult to use compared to third party ones, I don't like the sound of Roomworks, and the REVelation and REVerence interfaces were clunky), and others were good bread and butter effects that I may or may not already have replacements for.

Multitap really surprised me though, and it's convinced me to take a second look at some of the plugins I've ignored: Mod Machine, FX Modulator, Loopmash FX, Tranceformer, etc.

roman.i wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:45 am
Zoopy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 am
Valhalla delay
why
I don't like both the sound and the interface.
https://www.audiodamage.com/collections ... ert-cities
Maybe try Arturia's lineup or Audio Damage's

kritikon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:33 pm
concealed identity wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:19 pm This thread caused me to check out Replika XT, and I gotta say that I absolutely love it.

I wonder how many Cubase users automatically reach for 3rd party not realizing they have some real powerhouse FX in Cubase already?

I think a lot of people do this with almost every DAW and every type of effect.

People spend a lot of money on things they don't bother learning.

I think people that have been in the game for a long time also have a well-established workflow and tools they like, and generally stick to those. It's also why you'll see some plugins, etc. stay as the "industry standard" for a long time after they've been surpassed.

Take a look at FX Modulator - it's another incredibly powerful FX, though I have to admit it takes a fair amount of diddling around with to get useful stuff. I probably haven't given it as much time as I should, mainly because it's not immediate. There's a random gizmo in it fortunately, so you can just spin the dice until it works. I found it can do great things with drumloops, often quite subtle but sometimes a complete mangler.

Loopmash FX I like, but I really miss the full Loopmash. I transferred it from 10.5 into 12 and it worked fine but of course you need the dongle to do that. I let it lapse in 13, but I might just transfer it again. I still have the dongle...not sure I want to go back to using it just for 1 effect.

Is this thread about Cubase now or delays?

Return to “Effects”