The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't usually talk about work much here but I'm getting started on my second album mix of 2024. Most of the work I used to get was for stupid corporate stuff and not fun to talk about. All of the jobs I have had this year have been for independent artists. Those kinds of jobs may not pay as well but they are much more rewarding. :tu:

This is an ambient/atmospheric project and in addition to mixing/mastering for the whole album, they asked me to remix one of their tracks, which is pretty cool. 8)

Since the release of the latest controller product, work at Nektar has been very busy and as is common when a new product is released, it's spilling into my free time a bit. Not bad, as I enjoy the work but it's just one of those times when there is never a moment to rest. When it rains, it pours!

justin3am wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:57 pm I don't usually talk about work much here but I'm getting started on my second album mix of 2024. Most of the work I used to get was for stupid corporate stuff and not fun to talk about. All of the jobs I have had this year have been for independent artists. Those kinds of jobs may not pay as well but they are much more rewarding. :tu:

This is an ambient/atmospheric project and in addition to mixing/mastering for the whole album, they asked me to remix one of their tracks, which is pretty cool. 8)

Since the release of the latest controller product, work at Nektar has been very busy and as is common when a new product is released, it's spilling into my free time a bit. Not bad, as I enjoy the work but it's just one of those times when there is never a moment to rest. When it rains, it pours!
That’s cool, sounds like a good project to be involved in. We have to take the busy times with the slow, it’s usually never ideal for long, just when passing through from one to the other.

For sure! I'd definitely prefer to be busy. Last year wasn't too bad but much slower than I had hoped.

Just finished a move. I've been busy non-stop for a few weeks now.
Tonight finally got the "main three" synths hooked up. So far, so good. The monitors are raised to ear-level and off my desk. I think it's a true equilateral triangle and I can hear the difference. Things are still a mess of wires.

Some ye olde style pretty pop. Finally. :love:

Getting over a sinus infection so I'm not super motivated, but I did rearrange my modular so it's grouped by manufacturer again. Trying to arrange everything by function seems futile to me and not all that helpful, but this way modules seem a tiny bit easier to locate.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/836750

Some intentional features of this layout:
- controllers on lower right, closest to hand
- interface stuff on the lower left, closer to where it connects
- utilities in the middle. That's handy in general, but also I don't keep patch cables long enough to go corner-to-corner directly... but I can bridge them with one of O'Tool , Shades, Cluster, Ana, or the switch, whatever's not busy :)

For completeness, there's also this Pod and an 0-Ctrl in front:

And Strega/Minibrute 2S on the other side of my desk.

Woke up at 4:00 am, couldn’t fall asleep again, spent a couple of hours before work getting lost in my Trigon 6. Definitely one of the best synths I’ve ever owned.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Getting some lovely modulated bass from the Boog Model D. Hadn’t used Superior Drummer for ages and it can sound really great accompanied by raw synth sounds.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Recorded a track this morning and then hated it. Recorded another one this afternoon and like it. :shrug:

Finished recording for the next album. Now I just need to master it, put together the artwork and publish my notes.

I've been working on this one about 3.5 months, which is 2-3 times as long as I've spent on most of my releases in the last few years. Things have been busy and then I got sick.

I have an idea for a next project -- a shorter thing, but with no delay or reverb, which is a bit scary. :hihi: Probably going to do some gear study stuff first though.

Farting around installing shizzle on the Macbook Pro that arrived today.
I had severe conniptions until I realised that a lot of the things I was trying needed defaults turned off so now the mouse will work like a right click button, scroll bars will always be visible and now I can see all the files on the bloody main disc.
Pretty impressed so far though there are a few things I can't install due to the m3 / Sonoma bs.

Are you safe?

Still moving stuff over. Because my external drive is exFat formatted I have had to install the whole of Omnisphere on the mac's internal drive - 100GB+ eek! Looks like I'll need to get another external drive that's formatted for MacOS just for fussy bastard apps like that.

Are you safe?

Finally, a week after I started I finally got everything installed on my new Macbook Pro.
Installing thousands of plugins really highlights the different approaches people take.
At one end there are people like Melda or Plugin Alliance where you sign in once and an app takes care of dozens of installs for you. At the other dobbers like Waldorf who make you restart the computer after each individual plugin install.

Are you safe?

Started into a study of Akemie's Castle. I've gone over that module a few times before, but always from the perspective of deciding whether to keep it. (The answer has always been yes, over the course of 5 years, but somehow I keep finding myself circling back to the question, because it's big and I have plenty of other options for FM).

But this time I'm really digging in detail, and already I've made a couple of new discoveries.

changing all my screws :cry:
i like the thumb screws for moving stuff around, putting individual modules in, so thought "ooh replace them now"
doing 160ish screws, all at once, hurts :o

also having lots of fun with cloudbusting and the loopman (error instruments)

doing a bit of a clear out (old boxes and odd bits) so im not taking loads of shite, when i move later this year.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”