Synthesizers with diversity of presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am trying to remember and can't say what was last preset from build in library , which makes me feel ''wow that's amazing'...so i understand you guys speak hypothetically about sound quality, but i mean practically to make something really fresh and recognizable in specific genres - don't think,that buying soundset from famous artist is really step into unique sound,you just copy paste somebody else sound,that's exactly i am trying to avoid.
Agree with Teksonik,that unique sound is what man should be after,but from my experience only way preset to become really unique is using it inside the mix,not before,no matter how good is a preset,should be tested in real mix,so to fit and to shine, otherwise sounds weird.
I don't wanna sound weird,with non genre defined tracks i do mostly ,especially with styles like euro dance it's really hard to be unique and to have your own presence,when everybody make same old stuff.
I am trying to differentiate favorite styles and sound i make for them to be not so typical,but to stand out somehow.
Perfect scenario is to create new sound for new style ,but that's too ambitious and request many tracks from many artists copying your sound and ideas.
Last 7-8 years there was new styles,which appear and then disappear same way,probably because there was no good artists,designers so on to develop it further,just bunch of enthusiasts,which by accident use some dope sounds made by dope unknown designer .
To me is all about the emotion the sound provoke - if touch you,it is good,if sounds like broken robot,you wanna turn of... nah :):):)

No such thing as a unique sound in soft synths

Doesn’t need to be unique, just needs to sound great imo.

You can't really bemoan sounding like everyone else if you use presets that everyone else uses. You'll either have to do something different with the sounds or create your own. The very 'best' or unique sounds you hear will be made by the artists themselves and not in any preset packs.

Sylenth is good for bread and butter sounds but is so limited soundsourcewise, even though it probably has the most 3rd party presets of any synth, Serum has tons as well, and has obviously way more sound generational capability, but most presets sound like hi-freq ass because they use OTT on everything.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

LFO8 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 am
BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm Obvious ones to start...
Kv331 Audio Synthmaster2: 2000
Rob Papen Blue3: 5000+
Spectrasonics Omnisphere: 14000+
Tone2 Icarus3: 2000+
End thread.
Speaking of useless presets...
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm Users could discover 'rigth' synth this way easy
That's not been my experience. Who has time to sit down and audition 2000+ synth patches? Give me 64 really, really good ones and I know I will actually get around to trying them all out and, more importantly, remember which were the potentially useful ones.
honestly last 10 years can't count 10 really original sound i've heard anywhere,including my own start to sound the same...
So what? We use the same patches in multiple songs. I set a limit of two songs on the same album but in our live sets, sometimes 4 or 5 songs will use the same lead or bass patch. It helps define our sound. If a patch works in one song, then it is very likely it will work in many others. It's only a problem for people like you who think patching synths is a job.
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pmi only need one sound to make something cool 8)
Hopefully one day you will find it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

All symphonies pretty much use the same sounds all the time. But once in a while you might get an anvil.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 am
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pmi only need one sound to make something cool 8)
Hopefully one day you will find it.
ooh you cheeky bugger!

I am starting not to recognize a useful or good sound in favorite styles like euro dance,big problem.
For now use Sylenth1 and Viper mostly as edm machines,cause they are typical edm synths,but have to dig deeper in Massive and Icarus,which have amazing filters,so to squeeze some more harmonic content, maybe this could help,cause previously two mentioned sound so familiar and typical on everything or maybe the key is to use something different as main synths,so to achieve non standard vibe i am looking for.
Have over 50 never used so far ,for example AIR Hybrid is super nice synth i bought for 1 euro and because of the price or i don't know why ,but never used anywhere,made some really nice organ bass with it ,when bought it ,then forget it and it's super 90s sounding synth imo.
Or Wiggle,which is abandoned but really top notch sounding synth.
For some reason most club-ish sound to my taste is what Largo make with lp filters and some sick reverb on it.
You have no idea how stereotype this style (eurodance) is and how mission impossible is to make something out of the box,until you try to :):)
Even remix of popular 90s song in more modern version,doesn't sound original and fresh to my taste.
It's one of favorite genres i adore and listen last 30 years,know it well,but listening is one thing,making totally different.
Start to give up:):):)
I am guitar player and to me is more natural some rock/metal oriented style,but also like any kind of popular styles from 70s till today so i am sonic chameleon a music hybrid,can't understand people who listen only rock or dance or whatever only music is recognized as '' The real music'':):):).
All music is interesting,but making specific style is big issue to me ,just can't feel right direction and sound,maybe cause made so many presets and everything is technically similar like if you are cook and make many types of stuff with sugar - in the end everything taste like sugar:):):)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLSNOO-Y5nc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWhLd8uS2M

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:47 pm If a man need a soft synth with a diversity of presets for commercial production,which synth you'd recommend to have enough,so to cover all modern styles?
Minimum amount is 2000 existing presets.
Correct me if i am wrong with numbers:
1.Synth1 - over 25 000 presets,free.
2.Sylenth1 - over 10 000,paid.
3.Vital - over 2000,free
4.Massive - 0ver 2000,paid.
4.Serum - over 2000,paid.
5.Spire - over 2000,paid.
I think someone had compiled 54,000 massive presets (i don't know about the legalities) on reddit
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

yeah i just made something with massive this synth sit nice everywhere.
Definitely have to forget about super/hyper saw if want to achieve something original as vibe.
By default i start every dance project with Sylenth1,but original dance sound in 2024 is impossible with saw imo.
Sec ago made a modification of massive preset called - Herby & Bender - and its promising as start.
Massive definitely have a lot to offer yet.
Think to experiment with some techno stuff inside euro dance ,may be nice combo.
Have you listen modern techno - it's amazing,nothing in common with what was labeled as techno in 90s.
Don't wanna dig too much into experimental zone,cause will go too far from the style,just some lite touch,cause once i start to dig,i dig deep:)
Modern euro dance and techno, new space for morphing experiments :)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pm i only need one sound to make something cool 8)
I'm always making good use and sounds from the presets I find everyday folk leave behind.
Mainly underground/overground in the local Wimbledon scene.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 pm yeah i just made something with massive this synth sit nice everywhere.
Definitely have to forget about super/hyper saw if want to achieve something original as vibe.
By default i start every dance project with Sylenth1,but original dance sound in 2024 is impossible with saw imo.
Sec ago made a modification of massive preset called - Herby & Bender - and its promising as start.
Massive definitely have a lot to offer yet.
Think to experiment with some techno stuff inside euro dance ,may be nice combo.
Have you listen modern techno - it's amazing,nothing in common with what was labeled as techno in 90s.
Don't wanna dig too much into experimental zone,cause will go too far from the style,just some lite touch,cause once i start to dig,i dig deep:)
Modern euro dance and techno, new space for morphing experiments :)
I pretty much use Vital for 90% of the stuff i make. Most of the time i start with an existing preset and tweak it until i get the sound i want which is way easier than starting from scratch (unless it's bread and butter sounds like a supersaw or a simple reese bass). There is a website called presetshare from where you can get 1000s of Vital presets.

Vital + Synth1 covers all my needs to be honest. I rarely use Surge, Decent Sampler and Kontakt Player is enough for the sample library side of things.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Some day, NI will drop Massive and ...

I pretty much use Vital for 90% of the stuff i make. Most of the time i start with an existing preset and tweak it until i get the sound i want which is way easier than starting from scratch
[/quote]

Same here,actually doubt ,that 'from scratch' is popular sentence,but real thing.
It doesn't matter starting point,but final result.
I like Serum,but Vital has more options in some areas without been superior,cause have issues as any other synth.
Too many synths i am starting interesting projects with and then go back to familiar ones.
Maybe that hold back creativity.
Vital is still never used anywhere,could be nice to add something with it.
If have to only lone synth as fresh touch will be Thorn.
There is some limitations,not many presets,but there is something really fresh in it and with discount price drop to 25-29 euro.
Supersaw -ish stuff will be more recognizable with it,than with Massive,Sylenth1,Viper,Serum or Spire cause these are so overused last decade.
Conversation about synth gives me some ideas.
Maybe i don't need to follow typical euro dance line,which is so familiar,but to start using synths as inspiration.
To see where i am stuck with mixing and morphing,try to imagine a track as mix of these with 130 bpm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRTPmzI3mY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8wq4daxxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctARV0q6aV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEXWRTEbj1I

Return to “Instruments”