Bitwig vs Ableton Live 11 - MPE, Seaboard Rise 2, and Kontakt

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am searching through this forum for how to use my Seaboard Rise 2 with Kontakt.

I am currently using Ableton Live 11, and I can't seem to find a way to make this work sense they changed the Roli Dashboard UI a year ago or so, rendering all the tutorial videos on how to do all this instrument assigning stuff useless (they use the old UI, which is just different enough for the tutorials not to help anymore at all).

I am hearing a lot of people here talk about Bitwig in my search, but I can't make heads or tails of whether or not Bitwig may be the answer to my problem, or if its even natively MPE compatible.

Has anyone here actually gotten many Kontakt instruments to work with a Seaboard in Bitwig? Is it really better than Ableton Live 11 in a lot of ways? Is it worth getting the essentials version if I have Komplete 14 Ultimate and a large plugin library already?

Kontakt itself does not support MPE... And yes, Bitwig natively supports MPE but it doesn't matter in this case cause Kontakt doesn't.

as1988

With a bit of work you can set it up as a multi though, not MPE is the strictest term, but gets you most of the way there.

Take the patch you are interested in, set it up with the required pitchbend and cc mappings and then save it say as "mypatch_MPE".

Then create a multi where you have a part with that patch with each midi channel.

Do this once or twice and then realise it is not worth the effort.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

:help:
BobDog wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm as1988

With a bit of work you can set it up as a multi though, not MPE is the strictest term, but gets you most of the way there.

Take the patch you are interested in, set it up with the required pitchbend and cc mappings and then save it say as "mypatch_MPE".

Then create a multi where you have a part with that patch with each midi channel.

Really, I only want to use some aftertouch (whammy) and slide (bend) with the guitar plugins in kontakt. There used to be a great tutorial on how to do that on youtube, but its obsolete now that that Roli has updated the UI on their dashboard.

Really.

If you want individual control over each note you need to do this. There are very limited (I know of one) Kontakt instruments that support MPE natively.

Can you add a link to the video you are talking about and I will have a look, maybe they are setting things up as normal midi.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

LOL :-) I too have been-there-done-that... I also found that the Kontakt Multis/Stacks I was building never played back smoothly. I simply gave up on using Kontakt for MPE. Better then to throw the samples into Bitwig's sampler and do the MPE thing from there, I'm thinking. I'm mainly using a Seaboard Rise 2.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Hello. Please tell me what MIDI commands are sent by the preset switching button on the Roli Seaboard Rise.

Hello. Please tell me what MIDI commands are sent by the preset switching button on the Roli Saboard Rise.

Return to “Bitwig”