I bought too many soft synths

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:36 am
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 am I tend to like Slayer over Iron Maiden, NWA over Tricky, Ministry over Sisters Of Mercy etc.
Score: 0/3
Considering what absolute garbage your hot takes normally are I'm good with your displeasure. :wink:

Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:38 am... if I take the example of physical modelling, I don't think I am the only one thinking that it is useful and a beautiful technology.
So what? I don't care what the technology is, as long as it gets me the result I'm looking for and our sampled bass and guitar VSTi do a great job for a fraction of the CPU cost. In fact, all the bass guitar on our current album was done using Spitfire's free Labs plugins and it sounds great.
It is like for spectral, I don't really understand why you defend the fact that it doesn't make distinct sounds than traditional synthesis, in particular as you are a fan of Thorne.
Again, I don't care about the technology, only the results. Thorn isn't great because it uses spectral oscillators, it's great because of the way all the separate parts come together as a whole. I've never used any of the spectral features in a song, beyond choosing a preset shape. I've played around with them, though, and not found the experience particularly compelling.
Let's take a down to earth example. Imagine I am doing a sound using a sawtooth and applying FM on it. At the end, I want to tweak it a bit. Having the possibility to see and modify the partials of the sounds as I can in Avenger in order to give more bass in the sound is awesome. And it would be extremely difficult if even possible to make it with just traditional tools.
Not if you know what you're doing. If you want more bottom end, lower the frequency of the modulator. Or EQ it.
Your sister is basically your neighbour.
Then I am a terrible brother because I've never visited her there. It takes almost twice as long to drive to Brisbane as it took me to drive from Berlin to Venlo, in the Netherlands, in 2017. That's how far away it is. Just because there is nothing in between, doesn't lessen the distance.
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 amYeah I've always thought your regional based taste thing was moronic as f*ck, I've never once thought of the home town of any band really and any flavor that came out.
Same as me. It's just a thing that holds true, although there are plenty of examples that go the opposite way (although none come to mind right now). I mean, anyone can hear the difference between American Punk and British Punk. It's almost not the same genre. American Punk is more like Oi!, which I don't like either.
I concede that all the first wave of Post Punk was from the UK
Not really. I think there were a few US bands doing it. In fact, my all-time favourite album is a Post Punk masterpiece from Washington DC, by Urban Verbs. And what were Wall of Voodoo but PP? I'd also rate Minimal Man as PP, at least the one album of his I like (Safari). I tried to like Chrome but it never really worked for me.
Almost all the post punk bands eventually did garbage music though
That's true of the vast majority of bands who hang around long enough, though. It's hard to keep delivering, year after year, without just rehashing old tropes.
Later in the late 80's NY Noise for a lack of a better term was IMO impressive and worth a look, Swans, Big Black, early Sonic Youth, Dust Devils, Painteens.
Yeah, I never really got into any of that stuff. It didn't work at all for me.
I think it's near impossible to discount american bands without just losing the plot entirely.
It's not about American bands, it's about American music. Dire Straits, for example, make American music and I don't like them at all. I'm a bit the same with AC/DC, its just not my bag, far too American sounding. I couldn't even tell you what it is, there's just something about some bands that sounds like a lot of American stuff that I really don't like.
you do tend to drop the "only an idiot would xxx" a fair amount
Only when it's appropriate. Sadly, that's far too often.
I have to say Jac459 made me really take a second look at Pahse Plant, I'll probably pick it up if it ever goes on sale.
Really? I told those f**kers last night I was going give my license away just to rob them of a sale. If I follow through, it's yours.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 am Same as me. It's just a thing that holds true, although there are plenty of examples that go the opposite way (although none come to mind right now). I mean, anyone can hear the difference between American Punk and British Punk. It's almost not the same genre. American Punk is more like Oi!, which I don't like either.
I like both, and don't like all of either, that's how it usually goes. I don't think Dead Kennedys sounded anything like Oi? Or Fear, The Germs, Nuns etc. etc.

Not really. I think there were a few US bands doing it. In fact, my all-time favourite album is a Post Punk masterpiece from Washington DC, by Urban Verbs. And what were Wall of Voodoo but PP? I'd also rate Minimal Man as PP, at least the one album of his I like (Safari). I tried to like Chrome but it never really worked for me.
I would not consider Wall of Voodoo Post Punk actually, or Devo. Essentially not all Art rock bands with nods to punk are Post Punk. Plus I would say flatly that the addition of synthesizers as a permanent instrument is the most obvious difference, it's why in the US anyway they were considered new wave bands. Not knocking your taste there, the first three Devo records and all of Wall of Voodoo with Stan Ridgeway singing is just fantastic, so many great songs. I've always wanted to cover Factory. Plus Devo, Talking Heads, Blondie etc. all were there at the beginning, hard to be post, but the whole thing was different than the Ramones and the Clash etc.

It's not about American bands, it's about American music. Dire Straits, for example, make American music and I don't like them at all. I'm a bit the same with AC/DC, its just not my bag, far too American sounding. I couldn't even tell you what it is, there's just something about some bands that sounds like a lot of American stuff that I really don't like.
I could tell you, it's the blues rock underpinnings, it's why Oi bothers you, why AC/DC sound American to you, and Dire Straights are terrible, never liked that band. Like your pointing out here, not all American bands sound like blues rock, and some European bands do. It's not your fault, living through even more of the 70's than I did it's about drowning in shitty white guy imitation blues riffs in rock. It's why I gravitated towards all music that wasn't blues based.

AC/DC are one of my exceptions though, the brutally precise rhythm guitar playing of Malcom Young is just different, there's isolated live recordings and it's like a machine, in a great way.
Really? I told those f**kers last night I was going give my license away just to rob them of a sale. If I follow through, it's yours.
Now I'm curious as to what they did that pissed you off like that?

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 am
Jac459 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:38 am... if I take the example of physical modelling, I don't think I am the only one thinking that it is useful and a beautiful technology.
So what? I don't care what the technology is, as long as it gets me the result I'm looking for and our sampled bass and guitar VSTi do a great job for a fraction of the CPU cost. In fact, all the bass guitar on our current album was done using Spitfire's free Labs plugins and it sounds great.
It is like for spectral, I don't really understand why you defend the fact that it doesn't make distinct sounds than traditional synthesis, in particular as you are a fan of Thorne.
Again, I don't care about the technology, only the results. Thorn isn't great because it uses spectral oscillators, it's great because of the way all the separate parts come together as a whole. I've never used any of the spectral features in a song, beyond choosing a preset shape. I've played around with them, though, and not found the experience particularly compelling.
Let's take a down to earth example. Imagine I am doing a sound using a sawtooth and applying FM on it. At the end, I want to tweak it a bit. Having the possibility to see and modify the partials of the sounds as I can in Avenger in order to give more bass in the sound is awesome. And it would be extremely difficult if even possible to make it with just traditional tools.
Not if you know what you're doing. If you want more bottom end, lower the frequency of the modulator. Or EQ it.
Your sister is basically your neighbour.
Then I am a terrible brother because I've never visited her there. It takes almost twice as long to drive to Brisbane as it took me to drive from Berlin to Venlo, in the Netherlands, in 2017. That's how far away it is. Just because there is nothing in between, doesn't lessen the distance.
machinesworking wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 amYeah I've always thought your regional based taste thing was moronic as f*ck, I've never once thought of the home town of any band really and any flavor that came out.
Same as me. It's just a thing that holds true, although there are plenty of examples that go the opposite way (although none come to mind right now). I mean, anyone can hear the difference between American Punk and British Punk. It's almost not the same genre. American Punk is more like Oi!, which I don't like either.
Almost all the post punk bands eventually did garbage music though
That's true of the vast majority of bands who hang around long enough, though. It's hard to keep delivering, year after year, without just rehashing old tropes.
Later in the late 80's NY Noise for a lack of a better term was IMO impressive and worth a look, Swans, Big Black, early Sonic Youth, Dust Devils, Painteens.
Yeah, I never really got into any of that stuff. It didn't work at all for me.
I think it's near impossible to discount american bands without just losing the plot entirely.
you do tend to drop the "only an idiot would xxx" a fair amount
Only when it's appropriate. Sadly, that's far too often.
I have to say Jac459 made me really take a second look at Pahse Plant, I'll probably pick it up if it ever goes on sale.
Ok, so everything I predicted with this discussion happened.

When showed examples of modern synthesis, I predicted you would either answer "it is a sample", either answer "I don't care". Both happened in a very borring and predictable way, as I was also planning

If you think that EQuing a bass sounds the same than adding a partial, then I am pretty sure we won't manage to agree.

And as you don't care about my views and I don't care about yours, I propose to stop.
Have a lovely day, my friend 💞, no hard feelings (no feelings at all actually).

liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 am Singapore... :o
Well... I live in Manhattan, but I own an apartment in Milan, so the coordination is a quite difficult.
That's the fun fact of forums. We have people from everywhere.

To link back to the too many synths discussion, one point when you live in very expansive places is that comparatively, VSTs are cheaper hehe.

^^^ Yes! With what’s happening here with the economy, the VST market feels like is on a permanent Black Friday :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am ^^^ Yes! With what’s happening here with the economy, the VST market feels like is on a permanent Black Friday :hihi:
Remind me of this hilarious video of a guy pretending to explain how to survive a weekend in NYC with 30USD... Then the Saturday at 9AM, he goes to a coffeeshop, order an elaborate coffee and is charged.... 29.60USD lol....

Would you get a coffee or get Thorn ?? For me the choice is quick...

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am ^^^ Yes! With what’s happening here with the economy, the VST market feels like is on a permanent Black Friday :hihi:
Remind me of this hilarious video of a guy pretending to explain how to survive a weekend in NYC with 30USD... Then the Saturday at 9AM, he goes to a coffeeshop, order an elaborate coffee and is charged.... 29.60USD lol....

Would you get a coffee or get Thorn ?? For me the choice is quick...
Thorn for sure. The coffee quality and taste in Manhattan is close to a paint remover :hihi:
I thrive on Espresso and that's above Thorn (we need to function here!) :D

liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pmManhattan
N.Y. Pizza! I'm from Jersey (home to some of the worst bands ever) and if there's one thing I miss from home it's New York f**king Pizza!

VOODOO U wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:41 pm
liquidsound wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pmManhattan
N.Y. Pizza! I'm from Jersey (home to some of the worst bands ever) and if there's one thing I miss from home it's New York f**king Pizza!
You better hurry before it's too late for that too.
Every single chef I know (and I know many of them and some are good friends of mine), sadly, left New York for obvious reasons.
Pizza... :love:

*MY* pizza rankings (don't @ me):

Chicago > NY > Detroit > California

Is California pizza even a thing? Yes, sadly, it's a thing.

i dont like pizza :shrug:
so sue me.

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:24 pm i dont like pizza :shrug:
so sue me.
Try it with Reaper on it! :hihi:

Uncle E wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm *MY* pizza rankings (don't @ me):

Chicago > NY > Detroit > California

Is California pizza even a thing? Yes, sadly, it's a thing.
Frozen Pizza! I see... :ud:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”