Synthesizers with diversity of presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If a man need a soft synth with a diversity of presets for commercial production,which synth you'd recommend to have enough,so to cover all modern styles?
Minimum amount is 2000 existing presets.
Correct me if i am wrong with numbers:
1.Synth1 - over 25 000 presets,free.
2.Sylenth1 - over 10 000,paid.
3.Vital - over 2000,free
4.Massive - 0ver 2000,paid.
4.Serum - over 2000,paid.
5.Spire - over 2000,paid.

2000 pings only

Is it Quantity over Quality? what is special about 2000? Could be 2000 junk presets.
I personally would much rather have 200 great inspirational presets than 2000 mostly of junk/stuff that I would never use.

rsp
sound sculptist

usually if a synth is good,people use it and make/share/sell more presets for it.
Sometimes is opposite,the synth is superb,but users can't programm it and there is no much of presets available,but i think for commercial production in edm genre,sadly but mostly quantity is over quality or maybe i am wrong and all 2 345 678 available edm tracks are amazing,each and every one of them chase unbelievable sound quality over quantity :)
mho - my humble opinion :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:27 pm maybe i am wrong and all 2 345 678 available edm tracks are amazing,each and every one of them chase unbelievable sound quality over quantity :)
99% of them sound the same, so you could be on to something!

joking. i obviously haven't heard them, don't all go and get defensive.

Obvious ones to start...
Kv331 Audio Synthmaster2: 2000
Rob Papen Blue3: 5000+
Spectrasonics Omnisphere: 14000+
Tone2 Icarus3: 2000+

Seems like this thread will also be about bloat though. As preset management is one of the things I consider in owning/using plugins now.

One of the things that u-He is tops for me because I can easily discard the sounds that do nothing for me while keeping those that do.
Last edited by BBFG# on Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually as the wisdom said - one man trash is another man treasure,so it's easy to upgrade quality of any subtractive synth presets,if there is problem with some details,but i need original ideas to explore,almost never use default presets,usually make my own variations,so it's weird ,but in this case quantity is over quality, not in direct meaning ,but as diversity of ideas :)

Pigments has lots and very diverse

Also Omnisphere

Surge XT (more than 2000, I think, almost 3000), free.
Zebra Legacy (Zebra 2 + Zebra HZ + all soundsets + infinite amount of third party presets), paid.
Tone2 Warlock (2000+).

ReFX Vanguard 2 (2000+).

Users could discover 'rigth' synth this way easy - if had diversity of sound to choose from,cause not everybody is trilled to waste time with sound design and in 2024 quality of sound is decent within most synths.
I have huge libraries for some of synths mentioned above,but didn't list them,cause immediately somebody will suspect me in hidden advertisement hahaha :)
Discussion of dope synths with enough presets,which can be loaded into mix immediately, working on commercial production to have tons of sound ideas,so to modificate some parts,if need to,but to have solid starting point with diversity of presets is useful imo...
My biggest problem after 15 000 presets i made is new ideas and new sound,totally bored with everything super/hyper/mega saw related,moog-ish,trance gated or festival tunes or whatever last 30 years we all are listening,,honestly last 10 years can't count 10 really original sound i've heard anywhere,including my own start to sound the same...it's kind of what new i can do ,so i guess i am in the beginning of search and rediscover my music taste and goals...
Kind of hesitate to experiment with totally new sound,which even if it is recognozable as sound signature,may be perceived as weird or something,so willing to explore available options from another designers and to make some modifications,combining ideas and upgrading,which is my superpower,start dealing with sound design this way and find it very productive,when starting point is existing sound to let your fantasy to shape it differently and use it more efficiently in the mix.
Recently i am asking myself - am i original,do i make same stuff like other guys,is it worth the time i spend behind the pc ,so on...when make some super dope sound all is worth,but now inspiration is gone as the sun in the rain storm,so need flashes of light :):):)
For example i still haven't explore deeply Vital - so many dope sounds for free around and i even haven't dig it deeper,is it the right synth for new experiments or to stick with old ones i used to play and to try new stuff with them?

U can write a script that translates your words (better: series of letters) into a stream of 0-to-1 values and try if that data works when routed to a random parameter (or a set of params, called macro) and eventually do something magic to your basic starting preset.

Some synths like Tone2 Icarus have randomize function,which is useful when inspiration is gone,but you can't make music this way - first need to shape sound into something useful,which mean you need to be sound designer on some level,second the algorithm create random sounds,which definitely don't fit your song in 99% of time,so...
Best case scenario is to hear real music to have similar sounds and to experiment,which bring us to starting point of this topic.
I am trying to explore some free soundsets for Virus loaded into Viper with some external fx for more interesting final sound, things in music evolve ,so why not to use best from past so to create new in the furure.
For example i am interested,is it possible fake analog or virtual analog at some point to become more interesting and vital as sound compared to real analog?
Why not to experiment,in virtual environment everything is possible :)
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I assumed u meant 2000 factory presets, not including third party presets.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

i only need one sound to make something cool 8)

Return to “Instruments”