2024: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2024)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:34 pm

Got into vurt tv like territory with Brinta into Mimeophon, modulated by Wogglebug and Bella Gliss. I used Tempi and modulated self-patched tempo switching for the reset input.
cool!

i dont know bela gliss... :hihi:
and still dont have a tempi, although i do keep thinking i should.

elxsound wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:51 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:47 pm whats that one with the vape cartridge? :lol:
Another great noise source

Tassel

https://youtu.be/ubnbtWqyweA?si=r99tAekFCOAEjfBa
I have a friend who does noise, too much noise. I'm not really a fan, but, you have to love the aesthetic and the component choices. A bit like something lofi MakeNoise.

For the umpteenth year on the trot I said it'd be the year of the Tele but I've just picked up a 2012 SG Standard instead. Played it for a couple of hours and felt right at home; nice neck and the pickups sound good. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I've read that some 2012 SGs had 490r/498t and others had 57 Classics. If it's the latter, they sound better than the 57s do in my LP R7.

I prefer the scale of the Gibsons over the tele
myself. Though it may be just that im used to
the smaller scale. :shrug:

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:51 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:47 pm whats that one with the vape cartridge? :lol:
Another great noise source

Tassel

https://youtu.be/ubnbtWqyweA?si=r99tAekFCOAEjfBa
I have a friend who does noise, too much noise. I'm not really a fan, but, you have to love the aesthetic and the component choices. A bit like something lofi MakeNoise.
I like the idea of adding noise sources that normally would require the appliances in Heinbach’s room!

Like vurt was mentioning, it’s like a punk/steampunk aesthetic. I definitely like the vibe including the little ballerina on some of the modules, but the amount of hp some of these things take up! I would love to add, but yeah… can see like the Make Noise stuff, it’s not for everyone.

I am torn on whether to get a Hydrasynth Explorer as a standalone instrument, considering that it is on sale until the end of the month. I had it once but found it frustrating to make it sound good. Now I think it would be a great partner for my Liven 8bit Warps. I could get something cheaper like a Reface DX, but that is not as good for sound design. There is also the Blofeld, but it can't be battery-powered. Or I could use my iPad Air 3, but its playing field isn't as wide as the Hydra's. Ofc, there is Sweetwater's 30-day return policy.

error instruments cloudbusting in brickie standalone :party:

Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 am I am torn on whether to get a Hydrasynth Explorer as a standalone instrument, considering that it is on sale until the end of the month. I had it once but found it frustrating to make it sound good. Now I think it would be a great partner for my Liven 8bit Warps. I could get something cheaper like a Reface DX, but that is not as good for sound design. There is also the Blofeld, but it can't be battery-powered. Or I could use my iPad Air 3, but its playing field isn't as wide as the Hydra's. Ofc, there is Sweetwater's 30-day return policy.
I've tried to convince myself so many times that I'd like a Hydrasynth, but then I listen to demos and it does absolutely nothing for me. It either sounds completely boring/lifeless or just flat out bad to me. My Blofeld OTOH sounds amazing. I was a very late convert to the Blofeld club, having finally bought one a couple of years ago when a local seller had a mint desktop unit at a no-brainer price. Now, I'm kicking myself for not having bought one when it was released 16 years ago. I always thought it would overlap too much with my Virus, Nord, etc., but it really doesn't. It's a modern classic that still sells for many very good reasons.

Have you considered a MiniFreak? It absolutely destroys the Hydrasynth Explorer in terms of sound (IMO, of course).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:17 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:17 am I am torn on whether to get a Hydrasynth Explorer as a standalone instrument, considering that it is on sale until the end of the month. I had it once but found it frustrating to make it sound good. Now I think it would be a great partner for my Liven 8bit Warps. I could get something cheaper like a Reface DX, but that is not as good for sound design. There is also the Blofeld, but it can't be battery-powered. Or I could use my iPad Air 3, but its playing field isn't as wide as the Hydra's. Ofc, there is Sweetwater's 30-day return policy.
I've tried to convince myself so many times that I'd like a Hydrasynth, but then I listen to demos and it does absolutely nothing for me. It either sounds completely boring/lifeless or just flat out bad to me. My Blofeld OTOH sounds amazing. I was a very late convert to the Blofeld club, having finally bought one a couple of years ago when a local seller had a mint desktop unit at a no-brainer price. Now, I'm kicking myself for not having bought one when it was released 16 years ago. I always thought it would overlap too much with my Virus, Nord, etc., but it really doesn't. It's a modern classic that still sells for many very good reasons.

Have you considered a MiniFreak? It absolutely destroys the Hydrasynth Explorer in terms of sound (IMO, of course).
The demos from Jexus and a few others have convinced me. I tried the MiniFreak plugin, and I was not impressed except for a few oscillators. Again, I want something that is expressive and battery-powered. I ordered it anyway, but if I don't like it, I can return it within 30 days. Thanks for the advice. I would love to have a Blofeld, but the Modwave might be a better choice.

Edit: Want to clarify that it is not a sweet spot synth. The filters could've been better, but it takes time to get the sound to be the way you like it.

vurt wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:01 pm error instruments cloudbusting in brickie standalone :party:
apparently they don't have this in stock, it's the eurorack module, so now im getting that.

Grabbed a Mystic Circuits Ana 2. I like the original version, not something I use every day but good for smashing a couple of signals together to see what happens.

This version adds bipolar VCA inputs and a mix output, so that immediately makes it a much stronger utility (attenuvert, offset, mix, ringmod, VCA) and also adds a couple more "weird" outputs and improves one of the existing ones. Having CV control over the levels will also help add motion to the weird stuff and a lot more opportunity for feedback patching.

I got a nice little profit-sharing windfall from work and I'm tempted to use some of it for a little reward for myself, but there's nothing music-related that I really need right now. That said, I'm debating about buying a secondhand MPC One or possibly giving a Roland TR-8S a go. I've owned and sold the TR-6S twice - love the sound, but hated that Roland doesn't believe in song mode or ability to trigger patterns via MIDI, so it didn't really work for me, but maybe the TR-8S will change my mind,...for some reason. :shrug: My other option is that I'm considering selling my photo studio lighting and switching it to a different system, but that's a pretty big commitment. Decisions, decisions...
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm I got a nice little profit-sharing windfall from work and I'm tempted to use some of it for a little reward for myself, but there's nothing music-related that I really need right now. That said, I'm debating about buying a secondhand MPC One or possibly giving a Roland TR-8S a go. I've owned and sold the TR-6S twice - love the sound, but hated that Roland doesn't believe in song mode or ability to trigger patterns via MIDI, so it didn't really work for me, but maybe the TR-8S will change my mind,...for some reason. :shrug: My other option is that I'm considering selling my photo studio lighting and switching it to a different system, but that's a pretty big commitment. Decisions, decisions...
The TR Editor from Roland Cloud really helps open up the power of the unit, so I recommend getting that if you do get the unit.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm
cryophonik wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 pm I got a nice little profit-sharing windfall from work and I'm tempted to use some of it for a little reward for myself, but there's nothing music-related that I really need right now. That said, I'm debating about buying a secondhand MPC One or possibly giving a Roland TR-8S a go. I've owned and sold the TR-6S twice - love the sound, but hated that Roland doesn't believe in song mode or ability to trigger patterns via MIDI, so it didn't really work for me, but maybe the TR-8S will change my mind,...for some reason. :shrug: My other option is that I'm considering selling my photo studio lighting and switching it to a different system, but that's a pretty big commitment. Decisions, decisions...
The TR Editor from Roland Cloud really helps open up the power of the unit, so I recommend getting that if you do get the unit.
I think I tried that when I had my second TR-6S, but I mostly used the 6S for making beats on the couch and it was actually pretty good for that with the compact size and battery operation.

Oh jeez, looks like details about Digitakt 2 have been leaked: https://www.matrixsynth.com/2024/04/ele ... oming.html

I hope some of those sequencer enhancements make it to the OT and AR.

Oops, didn't realize there is already a thread: viewtopic.php?t=609529

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”