Steinberg seem to have completely sabotaged user presets in the latest Padshop Pro 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They have tacked on this awful 'media bay' that only shows Factory and Official Addons. I have made hundreds of presets and before they just showed in the dropdown menu which has now been replaced by this Media Bay monstrosity. All I can see is an import function but that is useless as it’s only possible to do this 1 by 1, not by folder or bank. I also have several third party banks so thousands that should be showing under User but it is completely empty and I am not prepared to literally import them one by one.

Also when I browse to them in the file menu and load one from a folder, the previous/next buttons don’t load the next one in that folder, they load the next one in alphabetical order from factory presets - it seems User content has been deprecated in favour of Steinberg authorised content

Didn't it have media bay for yearssss now?
Quite frankly media bay is my least favourite SB thing and it is a huge part why i never use their plugins.
And you know I love my Cubendo.

rsp
sound sculptist

No just since the last update

Thankfully I had imported my own presets into Komplete Kontrol ages ago which provides a much better browser but now I guess I'll have to import the rest too

If only there could be a preset management practise in place, where any plugin's presets would automatically match in Cubase, with tags etc.. so looking for say "mystic pad" could show results across multiple VSTis.

That's why I use Komplete Kontrol

This Media Bay is just terrible - it seems Steinberg do not think user presets are important

Made some progress, managed at least to get the presets into the user area, it seems they had changed the default place for me to put them. However they were a jumbled list of several hundred presets as the user section does not respect folder structure. There are bank name and author fields available but Steinberg do not seem to provide anyway to add new ones so you have to choose from a built in list and obviously I am not on it and neither is the name of my bank. In the end I found there was only one field where you could add new names to it and that was 'Family' so for now I have them all categorised that way which is stupid but it is better than nothing. Again not making it possible to add your own bank name or yourself as an author suggests Steinberg are indifferent to user created content unless you are some big name who they employ to do it.

Even having done this the previous/next preset buttons are still useless and keep reverting to just loading up the next preset from Factory patches.

I stopped trusting the Steinberg quick preset system a long time ago. Whether it worked or not seemed to depend on a complex combination of astronomical and weather patterns. It would also completely refuse to see all of the vst2 version presets of any synth when you had upgraded it to vst3. I always use a synths internal preset system.
If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YER MEAT!?

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 am There are bank name and author fields available but Steinberg do not seem to provide anyway to add new ones so you have to choose from a built in list and obviously I am not on it and neither is the name of my bank. In the end I found there was only one field where you could add new names to it and that was 'Family' so for now I have them all categorised that way which is stupid but it is better than nothing. Again not making it possible to add your own bank name or yourself as an author suggests Steinberg are indifferent to user created content unless you are some big name who they employ to do it.
Completely false, you just don't know how to use it. Here's a hint, try double clicking..

OK thanks I did try that but it just kept opening a drop down pre-made list, but now I know it is possible I tried again, you kind have to click on the edge of the dropdown for it to work but it does

Do you know how to make the next/previous arrows work as they used to (to just navigate one library)

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm Do you know how to make the next/previous arrows work as they used to (to just navigate one library)
That one I don't unfortunately. I remember playing with Halion when it first came out, but I didn't buy it until 7 came out last year so I'm somewhat of a 'noob' with a lot of the advanced stuff and even Media Bay.

The trick with the tags is you have to make sure you do a consistent double click. I found if you click and lag just a breath in between your next click, it registers as the single click and pops up that damn list, and likes to keep popping it up until you click in another field and then do the proper double click again.

Yes that's why I originally thought that was all there was

I think the 'new' Mediabay still has some growing pains they're working out. I've got a ticket submitted for some freezing/crashing where it locks up trying to listen to files and actually corrupts them and turns them into 4.29GB lumps. Few other Windows folks were having similar freezing issues as well. The thing might just not be ready to handle the sizes of sample libraries some of us have, I'm not quite sure.

My problems seemed to start after grabbing like 10-15 files at a time and adding tags to them all at once. After that, the database starts lagging and choking and will stop playing some files here and there. It's usually those files that won't play are the ones it just corrupted. These weren't VST libraries or sound containers or anything, this was just me browsing my /Media/Samples folder in the browser and trying to tag things.. I thought maybe it was just Cubase, so after it happened twice in Cubase, I opened the standalone Halion and decided to try adding tags there. Halion died just the same, so I'm a bit afraid to even use MediaBay until Steinberg can figure out why its happening.. I found some of Wavelabs temp .$$$ files left hanging around in some of those folders so I'm wondering if Mediabay scanned those files and they caused it to freak out and stop working properly. The particular samples I was tagging, was an old Zero-G cd I recently chopped up in Wavelab, so WL left some of those temp files its supposed to clear out in the folders where I was working.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm Do you know how to make the next/previous arrows work as they used to (to just navigate one library)
They work here the same way they always did.

When in Mediabay :
Use your up/down arrow keys on your keyboard. Load a preset by hitting enter. Select another attribute with the left/right arrow keys.

When in the VST3 preset list :
Use up/down keys to select presets, this will auto-load.
More BPM please

mothra wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:10 pm I think the 'new' Mediabay still has some growing pains they're working out. I've got a ticket submitted for some freezing/crashing where it locks up trying to listen to files and actually corrupts them and turns them into 4.29GB lumps. Few other Windows folks were having similar freezing issues as well. The thing might just not be ready to handle the sizes of sample libraries some of us have, I'm not quite sure.

My problems seemed to start after grabbing like 10-15 files at a time and adding tags to them all at once. After that, the database starts lagging and choking and will stop playing some files here and there. It's usually those files that won't play are the ones it just corrupted. These weren't VST libraries or sound containers or anything, this was just me browsing my /Media/Samples folder in the browser and trying to tag things.. I thought maybe it was just Cubase, so after it happened twice in Cubase, I opened the standalone Halion and decided to try adding tags there. Halion died just the same, so I'm a bit afraid to even use MediaBay until Steinberg can figure out why its happening.. I found some of Wavelabs temp .$$$ files left hanging around in some of those folders so I'm wondering if Mediabay scanned those files and they caused it to freak out and stop working properly. The particular samples I was tagging, was an old Zero-G cd I recently chopped up in Wavelab, so WL left some of those temp files its supposed to clear out in the folders where I was working.
Yes it completely corrupted some of my Padshop presets after I added some tags and I had to go back into Time Machine to fix it

Return to “Instruments”