Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personal thoughts:

- The price is fair, this is a monster synth.
- The tutorial stuff is well done.
- I am not generally into offline resynthesis as a rule, but there is so much going on here that I could leave the iris on a sine and do PLENTY with the transformers and modules. Maybe if I stick with it I'll also find uses for the resynthesis as well.
- I wish I could pull out some of those modules or the oscillators and use them in a fully modular environment :)

I'm gonna have to mess with the demo a lot more and think about it. For my purposes, I have to weigh Myth -- however unfairly -- against the combined forces of my entire Eurorack rig + other hardware + VCV Rack + Bitwig Grid + dozens of other plugins.

(And synth plugins represent only about 20% of the voices/parts in my last 4 releases, spread thinly between many different plugins... my absolute favorite synth plugin gets used 2.5% of the time, compared to 8% for VCV and 50% for Euro... and I have a horde of very fine plugins I love yet haven't touched in months.)

So it comes down to whether Myth's different approach provides enough inspiration to justify adding it to a too-large collection. It might...

agharta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 pm
gnu23 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm Yeah, I can tell it only uses one core. I have a separate CPU monitor.
Win 11, btw. CPU is Intel Core i9 11900K (Rocket Lake), underclocked to ~ 2 Ghz.
2GHz is extremely slow I suggest unless it can clock higher than that for a single core?
I wouldn't want to run that low even with a current generation CPU.
Yeah, I will up the clock rate when I'm using Ableton. I'm sure it will help. Interestingly, MYTH is the first synth I've used that doesn't hum right along at 2 Ghz without some finagling.

Thanks to the KVR crew for your insights.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

Ok, haven't had more than 5 minutes of time exploring yet but here is one thing I think needs to be changed.

SETUPS: The _DEFAULT_ setup is nowhere to be found in the list of Setups, meaning once you click any of the other ones, it's tedious to get back to the default. This is a huge oversight in my opinion. To get back to the default setup you need to delete the file MOST RECENT.synsetup found in the setups directory you can reveal from the menu. Why on earth don't you just provide the DEFAULT setup itself?

Anyhow, carry on! So far I'm super impressed by just the first default preset! Having tons of fun playing with it.

EDIT: Oh one more thing, the POLYPHONY feature should absolutely 100% be in the SETUP menu and NOT be affected by presets. We need a way to lock it. With such a CPU heavy synth it is really silly to keep it at 24. Also most of the sounds in the synth, being pads and atmospheric sounds, play better with much less polyphony.. I mean they just sound better when not getting too crowded with notes.

EDIT2: And can we please have the super awesome and flexible FX system as a standalone VST3 fx plugin???? Please please please!!! :pray: :pray: :pray:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Re the SETUPS - has been fixed by Peter and will be in the next release 1.08

Well commenting after the man with the golden ears.... :).

Let me start with the bad... I would love to have midi cc learn, at least on the macro knobs... the preset browser, the big one is just too large, i would wish i could make it smaller font wise or at least it resize appropriately and dynamically based on the overall GUI size... and for sure this main large preset browser should indicate the favourite presets.

now to the good...this is why I try not to demo some stuff.. I am too weak.
the other of his synths that I have (novum and kult) sound very digital (probably by design) and not really my cup of tea, but this one where he includes modeled vintage analog filters and includes presets by sound author and arovane.. just has me.. I may buy it for those two sound designers works alone (no I haven't gone thru even 100 of the patches yet so there may be tons of other gems in there beyond these two)...

But my main concern was is it too digital sounding? so I did a lil 12 bar something where I used two of my favourite analog synths.. the Tal J-8 and another one which we have spoken about on kvr from another developer but hasn't been released yet, and added four tracks of myth to it... they blend beautifully...

Sigh... looks like i am going to have to buy this one.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:54 pm Well commenting after the man with the golden ears.... :).
I assume that was meant for Bmanic as I just have olden ears

bmanic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 pm
Anyhow, carry on! So far I'm super impressed by just the first default preset! Having tons of fun playing with it.

EDIT: Oh one more thing, the POLYPHONY feature should absolutely 100% be in the SETUP menu and NOT be affected by presets.

EDIT2: And can we please have the super awesome and flexible FX system as a standalone VST3 fx plugin???? Please please please!!! :pray: :pray: :pray:
Thank you for the feedback!

The DEFAULT setup is added, will be in the next update. As a workaround: choose MIDI and set E3 to PRESS (and if you want GLIDE to 2)

There was a long discussion in the beta group wether POLY should be part of the SETUP. In the end we decided against. It may not be obvious, but this is less straightforward from UIX perspective as it may seem. I will revisit the decision and think about a solution!

I like the idea of having the FX system as an FX standalone! Will give it a think!

As you seem to have many good ideas - maybe you want to join the Dawesome Village?
Here is an invite:
https://discord.gg/7t84hnqJxc

Can’t wait to put my hands on this…

cb8rwh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:56 pm
zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:54 pm Well commenting after the man with the golden ears.... :).
I assume that was meant for Bmanic as I just have olden ears
lol.
yes
rsp
sound sculptist

foosnark wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm So it comes down to whether Myth's different approach provides enough inspiration to justify adding it to a too-large collection. It might...
I have so much synthesis now, that I am really picky with anything new that comes along. I find the UI of Myth interesting, but then I listened to a sound demo and the sound character didn't immediately catch my ear and so I already dismissed it. Tough market.

Very impressive, wasn’t that taken by the videos so far but this is really good.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

PetVor wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm There was a long discussion in the beta group wether POLY should be part of the SETUP. In the end we decided against. It may not be obvious, but this is less straightforward from UIX perspective as it may seem. I will revisit the decision and think about a solution!
Just give it a "lock" function then.. so that the user can prevent it from changing when switching presets.

Just like many Reverb plugins allow the user to lock the wet/dry amount so it doesn't change when switching presets.

Sounds great, at %125 would be a no-brainer.. if I didn't have to wait until 5/3 to get paid.

Net result: at $180, for ME personally, it may have to wait. Not like one sale makes that big a difference but.. oh well for me.

Not bothering with the demo, I know I want it, just will have to wait an indefinite amount pf time fo it.
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

What is really blowing my mind right now is just how good in general this thing sounds! Simply messing around with the basic Sine wave from the tutorial is amazing! Just adding the various transformations to it in the OSC section is so much fun when everything actually sounds super nice!. I don't know what it is, maybe it's just placebo, but it somehow manages to sound very good even with rather extreme settings that go into noise territory. I don't think this is all that trivial and suspect there is something clever going on behind the scenes. Could also explain the heavy CPU.

.. oh and if you put it into ULTRA quality mode, it's just ridiculous what you can get away with! Even the nastiest noise you cook up doesn't seem to irritate me at all.

In short: THIS is digital awesomeness that I actually like very much! It's got that magic "something" about it.

SuitcaseOfLizards wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm Sounds great, at %125 would be a no-brainer.. if I didn't have to wait until 5/3 to get paid.

Net result: at $180, for ME personally, it may have to wait. Not like one sale makes that big a difference but.. oh well for me.

Not bothering with the demo, I know I want it, just will have to wait an indefinite amount pf time fo it.
Paypal Pay in 4?
Yo Leroy!

Return to “Instruments”