Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dayjob wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:51 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:20 pm Be happy that most developers contemporarily patched their software, that's all I can say.

AFAIK, Logic Pro and Bitwig are the only ones which run natively on M1 anyway, anything else is Rosetta.
MOTU DP is M1 native also. I'm sure both users are stoked.
:)

I f**king hate Apple btfw, I curse some aspect of the experience about every day.

but it's hilarious to me to constantly see the same people hammer on this or another issue like that, year after year. Now you've the best talking point yet, isn't it.
So all the issues of windows we do_not_have vanish magically behind the strength of the argument Apple doesn't support things forever, a talking point which just trumps everything.

Acknowledged, if yez wants to use Cubase 8.5, OSX.12 or something is the last one will "support" it.
"Apple broke yer DAW!" don't call the waaaaahmbulance on my behalf.
I don't know if it will work or not, I go with the times and somewhat passively because it's not an issue for me.

I gave up a couple of things in my journey but they were discontinued several years ago anyway.
There are surely people using some prehistoric Cubase on an Atari or something, perfectly happy making the music they make, takes all sorts to spin a world. I take advantage of features maybe and embrace some change, the one constant in life.

---

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:45 am Yeah, Windows has ARM as well, but, it never really took off, most probably also because of compatibility problems. As far as I know, there's very few ARM native software for Windows.

If anything, it will take decades for Windows to completely adopt ARM. Apple just says "Screw this, we will do it now, today.". Ok, that's just consequent. People will have to live with the consequences of such consequence though.
Right, you be very concerned on all our behalfs, then.
if only because...
what? you're a giant fan of Microsoft? Or just _that guy_. Shameless.

What are you actually expecting me to reply to something like that? :)

I'll leave you to your butthurt defensive monologue. Guess that's the best.

jancivil wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:41 pm I f**king hate Apple btfw, I curse some aspect of the experience about every day.

but it's hilarious to me to constantly see the same people hammer on this or another issue like that, year after year. Now you've the best talking point yet, isn't it.
So all the issues of windows we do_not_have vanish magically behind the strength of the argument Apple doesn't support things forever, a talking point which just trumps everything.

Acknowledged, if yez wants to use Cubase 8.5, OSX.12 or something is the last one will "support" it.
"Apple broke yer DAW!" don't call the waaaaahmbulance on my behalf.
I don't know if it will work or not, I go with the times and somewhat passively because it's not an issue for me.

I gave up a couple of things in my journey but they were discontinued several years ago anyway.
There are surely people using some prehistoric Cubase on an Atari or something, perfectly happy making the music they make, takes all sorts to spin a world. I take advantage of features maybe and embrace some change, the one constant in life.
The issue with Apple is not that OSes will obsolete software, its that OSes with obsolete hardware, which complicates things.

Its not a matter of upgrading your OS to run a new release, sometimes. Its a matter of upgrading your entire machine.

This introduces an additional complication that Windows generally does not.

Granted Windows has/will have releases like Vista and 11 that contain enough architectural changes which can necessitate new hardware purchase, but those are going to be about 15 years apart in release timeline. Not comparable.

Saying you need macOS Big Sir to run Cubase 12 or whatever is not the same as "you need a completely new iMac to run macOS Big Sur so that you can run Cubase 12 or whatever."

Also prefacing your post by stating you f'ing hate Apple reads like some fairly transparent virtue signaling.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

chk071 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:00 pm What are you actually expecting me to reply to something like that? :)

I'll leave you to your butthurt defensive monologue. Guess that's the best.
Well, it's quite unsurprising to me you do an ad hominem and a story about my mental state, it's all of a piece with that quality of argument. It's irritating is all: the constant taking the opportunity to do that. We cannot have a thread mentioning Apple anywhere without you complaining about stuff that doesn't affect you.

You needing to amp it up is exactly what you accuse me of. Why would someone that does not like Apple be butthurt? You aren't using it, so it looks to us to be 'concern on our behalf', simple logic. It would be *best* not to troll, but that's not going to be, now is it.

it will take decades for Windows to completely adopt ARM. Apple just says "Screw this, we will do it now, today."
Yeah, that's right, that's accurate. I have no feelings on that at all. However, here's why I prefer the platform even as I'm annoyed in myriad ways by it: Apple is progressing while the other platform chooses to stay put. At some point I hope to benefit from it. I plan to update to Big Sur because Cubase et al are reported to be faster. You lot have issues we do not, but you're concern trolling about how Apple does things. It comes across as passive aggressive insult, for no good reason, of people. I don't think this is unfair to point out at all.
I get that you don't want it, but why are you bugging? "Apple breaks your compatibility." We're most of us well aware of when something is going to be no longer possible and make informed choices. If this implies an argument it's done prematurely and windows is doing it right, ok, no prob; but isn't that some fanboy shit (time to project)?
I am not a fan of the corporation itself. I am perhaps less of a fan of how Microsoft does things so...

So there's a question: what's with this? I don't find what I say about this unfair, sorry if you can't take an expression of irritation any better than that.
I don't have feelings to be hurt on it. I do things you'll never do in so many ways, I'm not worried about that.
It seems like jealousy owing to the sheer volume of it, the same thing repeatedly. But I think imputing thoughts to someone is unfair for me to do. You lack that reflective capacity, clearly. After years maybe you get to hear someone's genuine reaction.

I doesn't haz a sad about this stupid 'butthurt defensive' shite either, it's irritating because it's so crass, and immature.

Ya don't even need to take it personally, I went off on the Image Line guy last night for the same lame-ass trolling. for what it is, troll.
I'd rather get it off my chest; don't you worry about my mental state.

The Cubase dongle divorce reaches its conclusion in 2025 when the eLicencer servers will be turned off.....

https://www.steinberg.net/licensing/eli ... f-service/

All my Steinberg stuff is migrated to Steinberg Licensing, so, no tears. ;)

The dongle catches dust in the drawer.

When I bought a new laptop a few weeks ago I only installed Cubase 11 Pro, even though I have a version 12 licence. Plugged in the dongle and was ready to go. Job done. I was thinking about upgrading to version 13 with the sale now on,but I think I will pass on it now. When the dongle dies,Cubase dies.

Might I ask, why you don't use Cubase 12 instead which you already have the license for?
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:09 pm Might I ask, why you don't use Cubase 12 instead which you already have the license for?
rsp
There was nothing in 12 that I needed. Nothing in 13 either. I just upgraded because you get hit with extra charges if you skip a year. But as the discount has now been dropped to 30% I think its time to say goodbye to Cubase.

dellboy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm I just upgraded because you get hit with extra charges if you skip a year.
I've heard other people say this too, but I don't really get it. When I look at the Steinberg website, the price to update if you're one version behind is once price, and the price to update if you're more than one version behind is 2x that price (actually a little less than 2x).

So updating every version or every two versions ends up costing pretty much the same amount of money, and you'd actually be saving money if you update every three versions. Am I missing something?

Yep. Doesn't really matter whether you upgrade every year, or every two years. Costs are the same, I think.

What matters is whether you skip several versions. Upgrading from Cubase 4 to 13 is the same as upgrading from Cubase 11. ;)

concealed identity wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:22 pm
dellboy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm I just upgraded because you get hit with extra charges if you skip a year.
I've heard other people say this too, but I don't really get it. When I look at the Steinberg website, the price to update if you're one version behind is once price, and the price to update if you're more than one version behind is 2x that price (actually a little less than 2x).

So updating every version or every two versions ends up costing pretty much the same amount of money, and you'd actually be saving money if you update every three versions. Am I missing something?
Its been a while since I upgraded to 12, so my forgettery is struggling to remember why I always upgraded every version. Maybe it was something to do with when Cubase used to update in half versions? Anyway, the discount used to be 50%, but now it is just 30 %, and this is not enough to tempt me anymore. So if I ever upgrade again it will be because it has something really worth upgrading for.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”