Linux update

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently with MSF 16.11 the only track in a saved session, and loading that session for the first time in the day, results in MSF crashing and Bitwig audio engine also crashing. Terminating Bitwig, restarting it, and reloading the same session works fine. It looks like there were 'things' that did not load correctly the first time around although parts of the RAM were loaded with 'things' which made the second try succeed.

Two versions are being updated at the same time : Bitwig and MSF are both recent versions. So it's not easy to isolate the problem unless one goes back to each major version (Bitwig 5,0 and MSF 16.0) to try it out.

I have the impression that for the Bitwig code it goes on as usual whereas for Melda plugins I have the impression that (parts of) the code is being transitioned to other(s) developer(s).

That's why a linux version is needed, you never know what happens with update, and till is not supported, it's everything up to luck

I know and that's what I totally considered when going that way, eg. running Windows plugins. That the version I have of them might be the last one I get.

With Melda plugins I certainly got a lot for the initial investment. No complain there. Years and years of trouble free running them.

Experience has shown me that when VSTs are behaving badly at times, it's because there's something not right in the code that is not apparent under Windows/Mac put becomes noticeable in Linux with the extra yabridge/wine layer.

From working with other Windows VSTs in Bitwig Linux, like Rob Papen's Blue3 and Predator 2, Tone2 ElectraX and Gladiator, even SyntMaster2 which is certainly slow to show its GUI, I noticed that the audio crashes when opening a session only happens with MSF and MDrummer. That is, since recently. Never had any problem before.

I do not know how communications works within VST clients and host but I've worked professionally with other protocols and timings on embedded devices. My guess is that there's a 'window' of time at startup of both Bitwig and the VSTs inside a previously saved session and somehow these Melda VSTs are now missing a heartbeat or two and are reported as crashed by Bitwig, bringing down at the same time the audio engine.

When it happens, a simple restarting of the audio engine in Bitwig (not restarting all Bitwig) loads MSF and MDrummer (and any other Windows plugins) correctly.
Last edited by mevla on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi.
Have you tried running MSF on reaper (using wine) ? By the way - do HY-Plugins work properly in Bitwig ? Are you able to check this ? I mean vst3 versions.
Best

rtoip wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 pm Have you tried running MSF on reaper (using wine) ? By the way - do HY-Plugins work properly in Bitwig ? Are you able to check this ? I mean vst3 versions.
Hello. I'm afraid it's out of the question to install Reaper to check it out. I'm really sticking to Bitwig Linux. That the other VST (all v3) are still working fine in the latest Bitwig, with only MSF and MDrummer showing this behaviour points to 'something changed' within these two. Which, if I'm not mistaken, since the buying of Melda by Image Line, there's some code transitioning to other developers for maintenance and further development purposes. That transitioning can involve a time with a bit more bugs.

What are HY-Plugins ?

Cheers.

Return to “MeldaProduction”