Hit spacebar (playback) starts 1-time a volume ramp?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I would like to set up a plugin so that it triggers a volume ramp from silence to normal level once when the play button/space bar is pressed. I want to stop the constant clicks that ruins my ears, which occurs with rare VI. You can think abstractly of a one-time sidechain effect like with Shaper Box, which closes the fader at the moment of the click and then opens it to normal level. My trigger would be the spacebar, no other dynamic plugin (like limiter or comp) is fast enough and disappears after the initial click to not disturb the upcoming normal sound of the VI.

I work with LogicPro. How can I do this (any plugin)? Can I do this with standard plugins/ with Shaperbox3?

On the screenshot you can see a VI called Abyss, I suspect poorly tuned buffer settings (release) are to blame for the 1000x clicks I get at start/stop or when changing presets. My system is M1 Pro and very well tuned, dozens of third-party plug-ins working very well and don't have this problem. Nevertheless, I would like to give Abyss a chance.

A noise gate isn't an option.

Any creative ideas highly welcome! :-)
Cheers
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-17 um 18.15.29.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sir Hannes wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:14 pm A noise gate isn't an option.
why?

logic's gate does this quite well imho
try
lo threshold (-98), hi hysteresis (-20), slowest attack (100ms),
hold 50ms, rel 10ms, loookahaed 10ms

or unfiltered audio g8
lo thresh -70
hi histeresis -80

so ot's basically an on/off switch
slow attack 380ms

or try devious machines duck
https://deviousmachines.com/product/duck/

UVI shade has a modulation module called "Follower"
it has a threshold and attack release
so with a low thresh (-90) you basically switch it on
attack and release go upt to 10 sec,
you attach this modulator to "Gain out"
voila: very very smooth fade ins (and fade outs)

Hi Muki,

will try your parameters! Thank you for your efforts. :-)
Why? Because it never works as I want it. But with your parameters for Logic at least I could reduce the drop outs around -10dB which is a lot, but not quiet. The G8 isn't working at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You could easily build something to solve that in a modular host; Reaktor and bidule would both do it. Do you have either of those?

Reaktor 5 isn't supported anymore with macSonoma.

I guess there isn't much impetus to upgrade to 6, which does work, if only for that.
You would need a plugin which can detect, and offers modulation of stuff from that, Transport activity; Play and Stop.

Blue Cat's Patchwork can _maybe_do it? I don't use, so I'm, not sure, but bidule is marginally cheaper and gives you a tonne more potential.

www.plogue.com/bidule

It's off the mark but that made me think about the free Kilohearts tape stop plugin.
All DAWs should have the function you mention built-in, to protect our ears.
If only I could apply this to my wife and children then life would really be easier :-p

Sir Hannes wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 am The G8 isn't working at all.
here is my screenshot og g8

and imho UVI shade ist amazingly well working (somehow) esp with it's enormous range of up to 10 sec for attack/release

screenshot:

in re unfiltered G8:
maybe even better:
in a flipped state, where release becomes the (longer) attack with a one-shot trigger

screenshot:

if you have fabfilter saturn or any other fabfilter that uses the mod system,
you can use envelope follower to fade in out-level
attack goes up to 1sec

like:

or use the env-follower to trigger an independent envelope that opens the out-level...

or even better:
the envelope generator (EG) alone is sufficiant since it has a threshold
attack can go up to 3sec

that's: EG (with threshold set low) > out lev
as good as the UVI imho
see:

another one as often used in the old days:

a synthesizer with audio in and using it's envelope
korg ms20 does this super good imho
also the plugin - use sidechain for the audio input;
the init patch works right away as far as i can see
(only open the filters, lower the peak, adjust attack accordingly - salt pepper to taste)

Quick question to Noise Gate/ G8: audio drop outs and clicks have <1ms attack time. Why the Attack time of a Gate set to 500ms? Example: Click appears, Gate reacts due to Threshold -90dB, but it closes within 0,5s.

I am getting something wrong here, no?

Return to “Effects”