Picking a DAW is hard…

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:15 pm With the rumoured cancellation of all legacy VST2 developer licenses from this point on, choosing a DAW has gotten a little easier.

DAWs with poorly implemented VST3 hosting should be avoided. That appears to include:
Ableton Live, Bitwig.

DAWs with solid VST3 implementation should be sought. That includes (but is not limited to):
Studio One, Cubase.

DAWs that don’t support VST3, but host other widely supported formats (AU, AAX), so are unaffected:
Logic, Pro Tools, LUNA

Maybe users of other DAWs not mentioned could chime in with their experiences with VST3 plugins in their respective DAWs.

Let's correct this shall we?
Live, AU is fine on Mac. VST3 seems to be slightly more stable on Windows than Mac. So Live is at most slightly affected.

Bitwig has plugin sandboxing, it hardly matters if a plugin is stable or not, you can still use it in the composition process, and since it has CLAP support you could do worse than it's built in instruments and U-He in a live situation. At least on Mac here, I don't really have any problems with 95% of VST3s so it might be a Windows thing.

Reaper, DP, and the various Other DAWs that host both AU and VST are not really that affected and in Reapers case you can turn on sandboxing for some dodgy VST3.

I would say probably Live and DP on Windows are the most affected by errant VST3's from reports in the field. In the case of Live the Suite is insane, if I was a Live Windows user I would be likely to mostly stick to M4L and the Suite instruments if some VST3 was being a trash heap. In sumary, there's nearly no reason at all to base your DAW choice on whether or not VST3 support is good or bad, most DAWs are offering solutions, and I will bet that solution is going to grow with CLAP.

So as long as you don’t want to use anything other than built-in plugins or the extremely small handful of 3rd party plugins that support CLAP, you’re OK?

I stand corrected! :hihi:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

elassi wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:42 am
kapirus wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:31 am Are the general purpose DAWs not suitable for electronic music?
To make it very simple: Electronic music is mostly about repetition and pauses, as well as build-ups (e.g. muting channels and bringing them back, one by one or in full). The pattern-based method of 'modern' DAWs supports this.

You won't find a song structure like this in a pop song, though it deals with quiet and loud parts also.
Any DAW is fine for electronic music.

Lots of people start in an arrange mode anyway and just skip patterns in both Bitwig and Ableton. Every DAW has loops markers and can loop. They all have copy paste as well.

Some people like patterns, and sometimes they can be useful.

Any track will end up in arrange mode at some point. Really you need this to make the best of track structure and have better transitions.

Bitwig is my preferred DAW, but its not because of the pattern based part of it.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”