SP 404 MK2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone received theirs yet ?

I just got one in the UK (got lucky, just randomly found one in stick at Juno for £409)

Great device and great value for money...took me about a day to switch to the workflow (I also have an MPC Live) but it is as fast and fun as everyone claimed and the V2 firmware update adds a lot of very useful features along with the (much needed) step sequencer. I was originally mainly interested in it for FX and loop capture from my modular, but it is turning out to be a much more rounded production platform and I have found myself recording my guitar in to it quite often like a little multitrack!

Much more portable than the MPC Live 2 obviously, other than that you could probably do the same thing with both...but the SP is more immediate (from boot times to just navigating around without a touch screen) and definitely fast to navigate with all those buttons once you 'get it' (and learn a few shifts and second uses), ironically it feels more suited to 'live' performance than the MPC Live which feels more like a studio/DAW type tool.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:01 am I just got one in the UK (got lucky, just randomly found one in stick at Juno for £409)

Great device and great value for money...took me about a day to switch to the workflow (I also have an MPC Live) but it is as fast and fun as everyone claimed and the V2 firmware update adds a lot of very useful features along with the (much needed) step sequencer. I was originally mainly interested in it for FX and loop capture from my modular, but it is turning out to be a much more rounded production platform and I have found myself recording my guitar in to it quite often like a little multitrack!

Much more portable than the MPC Live 2 obviously, other than that you could probably do the same thing with both...but the SP is more immediate (from boot times to just navigating around without a touch screen) and definitely fast to navigate with all those buttons once you 'get it' (and learn a few shifts and second uses), ironically it feels more suited to 'live' performance than the MPC Live which feels more like a studio/DAW type tool.

I'm waiting for mine to arrive in the mail. I was also thinking about a way to use it as a multitrack. Do you have a technique you would like to share?

Got mine today. OMG does no one on this forum even use one? Feels like a ghost town.
<List your stupid gear here>

This just had a significant update to Version 4.04:

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... downloads/
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:34 pm Got mine today. OMG does no one on this forum even use one? Feels like a ghost town.
not the mk2, but i do use a mk1.

new update is killer. I think many non users of the SP404 might want to buy one now. Built in audio interface, audio over USB, looper, built in bass synth, deep sampling capability, bangin FX. No brainer

How well does the MK2 handle treating the device as a dedicated multisampler, complete with seamless loops and crossfading? Can it be treated as an external sampler module with easy access to the multisamples as presets?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

vertibration wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 pm built in bass synth
.. that's a bit exaggerated. Isn't it just a simple single oscillator with basic waveforms? There's not even a proper ADSR for amplitude, just preset ADSR settings.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:51 pm
vertibration wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 pm built in bass synth
.. that's a bit exaggerated. Isn't it just a simple single oscillator with basic waveforms? There's not even a proper ADSR for amplitude, just preset ADSR settings.
I mean, yea....

My question above wasn't snark or anything.... I am seriously interested in knowing. Does anyone know?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

hmmm, with the firmware upgrade seems like something to go on the wishlist (alongside the nymphes, minifreak and less-likely-to-happen solar 42) but that I dont currently have the dosh for. persuaded me spend a few bucks on koala though.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

ChiTown24 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:57 am Anyone received theirs yet ?
Yes. Just picked up a used one for $370 on Facebook marketplace. Great pairing with Digitakt & MC-707!

I replaced my live 2 and rc-505 with this and don't regret it at all. Great box, easy to use and love the quick workflow and fx!

For those of you using SP404MK2 and Koala Sampler, can u compare these two?
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”