Sound Design for IDM?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! I'm a huge fan of IDM and wonder if there is a place dedicated to exploring the sound design of this genre :)

I'm a big fan of classic IDM artists like Autechre, Plaid, u-ziq, Boards of Canada and of course Aphex Twin :)

There are 100s of sounds made in the threads here. It's usually better so start with one or two sounds.
Post a youtube link and a timestamp so it easy for others to help

Cheers
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

tl_rl wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am I'm a big fan of classic IDM artists like Autechre, Plaid, u-ziq, Boards of Canada and of course Aphex Twin :)
Me too! Have you kept up with the recent IDM scene, and if so, who's good now?

Have you checked out the WATMM forums? A while back (like 15 years ago) I think they would actively discuss IDM sound design and related topics.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 pm
tl_rl wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 am I'm a big fan of classic IDM artists like Autechre, Plaid, u-ziq, Boards of Canada and of course Aphex Twin :)
Me too! Have you kept up with the recent IDM scene, and if so, who's good now?

Have you checked out the WATMM forums? A while back (like 15 years ago) I think they would actively discuss IDM sound design and related topics.
Cialyn is really good. Music is somewhat similar to Boards of Canada.

3ptguitarist wrote: Cialyn is really good. Music is somewhat similar to Boards of Canada.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
A well-behaved signature.

A simple & boring genre for sound design... I think the previous sound design forefathers already screwed it all up>>>

Sound design for disco would be a step up>>>

:roll:

Since , I think, all the artists mentioned by the OP are still around, it could be useful to be a bit more specific about when/ what sounds you want to receive. For a very broad recommendation, synth 1 can do a decent impression of the early nords which were all over all those folks' music around 2000. FM8 or any other Yamaha style FM synth. Then samples of drum machines and breakbeats with interesting processing. Get pure data and learn how to do some buffer manipulation and crazy waveshaping. Also resample your stuff and go crazy repitching and repurposing sounds you've made.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Sound Design”