How to close to position my monitors to the wall?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have the 'JBL LSR305' monitors. Due to limitations, there's only a couple options I have for studio layout. Basically, my desk has to be mostly against a back wall, and my monitors are on each end of the desk. I've read different suggestions. I can put the monitors up to about 10in. away from the wall. With that being the limit, would it be better to put them out as much as possible or up as close to the wall as possible?

I have the same speakers. In my previous abode the only placement option I had was on a shelf about 10 inches away from the wall, IIRC I set the "LF trim" switches on the back to -3. It was fine, in my current setup they are on stands about 36" from the wall. I now run them with a 10" PreSonus sub so the LSRs have a highpass filter at 80hz, "bassically" removing them from the low bass equation.

While lower frequencies are essentially omnidirectional, I find that rear-ported speakers like the LSRs are more sensitive placement-wise. If you have the ability to run sine sweeps you can get a sense of where the peaks and dips are in the frequency response. Regardless, listen to mixes you are familiar with to learn how the speakers respond in the setup you choose.

What does the manufacturers literature say? Do that.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Use your ears or measure with sine sweeps.
Experiment and find out what the best compromise is.
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:05 am What does the manufacturers literature say?
Educated guess: at least 10 or 12 inches = 25-30 cm from the back wall.
ramseysounds wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:05 am Do that.
He ain't no sheeple :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

it is much more important how far away your head is from the monitor. you need an equal triangle, and at least 80cm on sides. also, adjust not to sit in the standing waves, those places where the bass disappears.
monitor against the wall will have less depth, and more bass. the wall is the last thing you need to worry about.

Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:50 am I have the same speakers. In my previous abode the only placement option I had was on a shelf about 10 inches away from the wall, IIRC I set the "LF trim" switches on the back to -3. It was fine, in my current setup they are on stands about 36" from the wall. I now run them with a 10" PreSonus sub so the LSRs have a highpass filter at 80hz, "bassically" removing them from the low bass equation.

While lower frequencies are essentially omnidirectional, I find that rear-ported speakers like the LSRs are more sensitive placement-wise. If you have the ability to run sine sweeps you can get a sense of where the peaks and dips are in the frequency response. Regardless, listen to mixes you are familiar with to learn how the speakers respond in the setup you choose.
Having the same speakers, I can totally confirm that. In my room setup, they're especially "sensitive" in the 50 to 60 Hz range, where they become pretty boom, sitting close to the wall. Unfortunately, I don't have much room for placement options here, so, I just had to get used to it.

That said, my other, smaller PC speakers also tend to become boomy at that frequency, so, it probably is a room/placement issue.

roman.i wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:30 pm it is much more important how far away your head is from the monitor. you need an equal triangle, and at least 80cm on sides. also, adjust not to sit in the standing waves, those places where the bass disappears.
I frankly had better luck with spacing them a bit away from each other, than forming a perfect triangle. Gives me better spatial imaging, and a somehow more coherent sound. Again, that could be due to the room and placement of the speakers here. I know that the perfect triangle thing is always recommended. But, I also know that recommendations can be a bit misleading sometimes. ;)

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll do some trial&error and use my ears

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”