Guitar Center -- selling floor model as a new guitar

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

an-electric-heart wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:36 pm That's funny. Where I live (in New Zealand), there's no stock "out the back", there's the one on display that gets touched and played by customers... And that's it. This whole concept you speak of is alien to me.
It's funny because this is how guitars and musical instruments were sold probably up to the 90s when all you had were small stores. You'd go to a shop, play a few, find the one that fit you best and buy the same one you just played. And this is still very much typically the case when you go to smaller, local stores. If they have three Gibson Les Paul's in your price range and you're intent on buying one, you'll still play all three and take home your favorite. They're not going into the back to pull out an unplayed one for you. In a way, that would be seen as a bait and switch.

But when it comes to big box and online retailers, the expectation is the exact opposite. That's in large part because their floor models get abused and will typically be sold at discounts to free up space for be models. So people want new or floor models at a discount. I don't blame folks but it's funny because the mom and pop shop is expected to work that way. They also won't let a grubby teenager with Dorito strained fingers play a 4k guitar like GC would. Selling b-stock as new is never cool though.

I would generally agree with 'go home with the one you like.' It is what I did until I had the Dinerii and access to a Master Luthier.
And it what I often did at one of the local shops I used to give my money to. Thing was, I'd play the guitar for maybe ½ hour, with other guitarists wailing away, in an echoe-y showroom, make the decision, bring it home, cash buy. And only then, after I'd sit with it for a few hours in the peace and quiet of my own home, I'd find deal-breaking faults. Buuut.. as I bought in the physical shop, no refunds. And so I'd have to choose a substitute guitar, and almost always had to spend more than I intended to get a decent axe close to what I was looking for in the first place. Last git I bought there was my 12 string, in 2012.
But knowing a Master Luthier with 40+ years experience made the buying online, sight unseen and unplayed, an attractive alternative to the local shop that sold instruments in crap condition. They're dodgy, but the other local one is worse.

I'm sure I would not have as many guitars as I do if I hadn't met him.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Guitars”