Is REAPER the current worst long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:tu:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

No, yes, maybe, artichoke

I´m a Cubase user since the dawn of time, but when I decided to set up a raspberry pi in my living room for a goto solution (with WAF) fullfilling my needs to have a midi keyboard and a sample player with an instant piano sound, Reaper turned out to be the best performing DAW software for this need. There are only few choices under Linux, where Reaper is one of them and at the same time very cheap. I tried Ardour and Tracktion, that had much worse performance with crackles and pops on the same latency setting as I´m using in Reaper (buffer = 128 on a hifiberry card).
I must admit that the experience of understanding how to use it is pretty uphill, especially now that I have decided to use it as a multitrack sequencer and not just a quick way to always have an available piano sound. Obviously this would never be my choice for a primary daw, but the more I use it, the more I learn, so I would say that Reaper in the long term is not a bad choice for this particular purpose. Instead that would be in the short term, since it did not have much out-of-the-box appeal to me.
Apart from being the best under Linux and also being cheap, I should add that it´s stable as a rock here, just sitting there month after month and letting me play my piano soundfont without any glitches.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Well, being Reaper a 2-man show, if something unfortunate happens to Justin or John the software can be in trouble. I think that Justin said that it would be open sourced if they get tired or can't develop it (?).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 pm I'd recommend anyone considering Reaper to check out Jon from the Reaper blog's video series called something like "The Defaults Are All Wrong". It took me like a good 18 months to land on almost identical settings across the board, then that video series came out. If the Reaper devs just used his settings as defaults for new installs, I really think a lot of users would be up and running a lot quicker.
I second this, really makes a big difference. I don't think this is the same guy, but Alejandro from reapertips.com has a pdf as well as videos that really do a good job of going through the settings:

Reaper the Perfect Setup (pdf)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhAblK8z2U

The above setting recommendations are no-brainers and show how Reaper could easily be more user-friendly but instead they created another a male equipment fetish that needs endless tinkering like analog racks, vintage cars and high-end audio.

How many women will put up with Reaper?
Last edited by Michael L on Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

^^^Don't you know women love expensive items? :hihi:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Actually, you can really get by with the config, having 4 completely independent mouse handling sets is funny though
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 08.57.28.png
But at least they were made with a predefined purpose in mind, it's entirely possible that, as mentioned above, it's simpler to work with multiple, but differently configured, portable Reaper installations at once.

It's relatively hard to resist scripting, there are some really fun-usable ones among them
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 09.04.52.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

@xbitz:

Ooh, I used Reaper, but didn't know there were "alternative modifier sets".
And yeah, I see you just copied page 148 of the reaper manual. Thank you
for pointing us to this feature! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

My license expired at the end of v5, I just use the FREE version now.
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am My license expired at the end of v5, I just use the FREE version now.
I know what you're doing 😄

damn
Say NO to CLAP!

Wasn´t Reaper the first DAW to have flexible buffering, allowing tracks that are not live to not be impacted by a low latency setting? Basically the same thing is with ASIO Guard on Cubase, if I´m not mistaken.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”