What happened to the 'music originally recorded at 432' post?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It was corporate shills from Big 440.

If it's the thread I remember, one Meffy (a moderator then) moved it to HPC, so was since "pruned" which is (or was) the regular practice for that subforum.

CinningBao wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:53 pmpeople have difficulty dealing with ideas beyond their domain
Totally laughable in its ignorance and arrogance.

For instance I understand the issue (one might say intonation theory is a domain of mine) and it's just not what the sort of bogus numerologist has it cracked up to be. The thread I cite was moved to HPC because of the clear religious attitude, or we may say the big woo factor behind the trend (I asked).
A great many of situations that use physical instruments are not improved but these will sound slack or flaccid; the period when a lower standard of pitch was used saw different technology for wind and brass instruments than modern ones. They are for the vast majority built for the standard current day pitch with a fundamental (cf: Bb tenor saxophone) derived therein. OTOH detuned strings will be another matter as this has not seen change like that (NB: the standard A moved up to 442 in some localities a few yrs ago.) and there is no built-in fundamental tone. But even with samples, taking say a saxophone down 32¢ gives naught but a shit sounding sax, there is no upside to it. If the entirely of one's experience in music is with synthesizers however, hey, do whatever.

This, like any confluence of aesthetic desirability and technical, physical matters has to be taken on a case by case and probably a nuanced examination. A binary 'this is wrong'/'this is the truth' is not very reasonable, as regards the aesthetic desirability or not. However the main thrust of the trend is not a mystery, it's supposed to have magical properties because the numbers look so good to some of us.

Talking shit about what ideas "people" can deal with or not looks to me like one would like to rerehearse the fight.

EDIT: btw having seen the wayback machine on that thread, only page 1 made it. Unless I'm thinking of another A = 432 thread (surely there have been more than the one) the thing went on a while in HPC as it got ugly. I remember my replies of that particular one upon the reminder. It's not even about the obvious woo factor or the religious quality of such clueless belief, the argument for it was total nonsense. EG: "the scale of fifths" was found to be less than useful and was corrected in Ancient Greece at the very dawn of intoning an instrument; you stack 12 (3:2 "perfect") fifths you're quite off the mark (23.46 cents) if you ever want a repeatable octave (ie., it doesn't agree with 7 octaves); the so-called Pythagorean comma (a technical term ditonic comma, meaning 3 [Pythagorean lol] 'ditones' [81:64] ≠ 1 [2:1] octave is sometimes used) was invented to correct it. 3:2 can obviously never multiply to become 2:1 (or 2048:1, ad infin).

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”