Acoustic MPE sound

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a acoustic (clean) MPE preset sound (for example nylon string guitar sound) but responds to all of the 3D axes (pitch, timbre, and volume) of the Linnstrument. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pianoteq pianos, and they have an acoustic guitar now as well. Any of the SWAM instruments are also great.

However, I'm not sure how much expressivity you'll really get out of the timbre/y axis, given that with the LinnStrument you only have a few millimeters of up/down from the center of the pad.

I wouldn't focus so much on maxxing out the MPE controls, but actually looking that you get a good sound with the kind of expressivity you're looking for. Pianoteq Classical Guitar + LinnStrument already sounds pretty nice, without needing pressure and timbre assigned. You could do that, too - but I'm not sure what would make sense. Timbre can only be something with very subtle effects.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

D3sertDog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm I'm looking for a acoustic (clean) MPE preset sound (for example nylon string guitar sound) but responds to all of the 3D axes (pitch, timbre, and volume) of the Linnstrument. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Surge XT has plenty of community MPE patches for the LinnStrument. I usually use the "Solo Strings" patch most of the time.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:18 am
D3sertDog wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:35 pm I'm looking for a acoustic (clean) MPE preset sound (for example nylon string guitar sound) but responds to all of the 3D axes (pitch, timbre, and volume) of the Linnstrument. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Surge XT has plenty of community MPE patches for the LinnStrument. I usually use the "Solo Strings" patch most of the time.
Yes, thoughtForm has come up with some very nice instruments. I like his "Pluck and Sing" and his "DuDuk."

rtwfroody wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:37 am Pianoteq pianos, and they have an acoustic guitar now as well. Any of the SWAM instruments are also great.
Thanks, I'll have to check out Pianoteq.

I've found ROLI's Equator 2 to have a lot of good, usable acoustic presets, though they don't always make good use of the Y-timbre axis, it's a very easy to change it's assignment. Generally, I use the Y-axis for slight variation while playing and not something that I have to be consciously trying to control. Kind of like like how one doesn't always strike the string in the same place and with the same angle while playing guitar.

I've set up some pads sounds that I use the Y-axis consciously, either by rolling my fingertip or striking the pad in higher or lower spots to get the desired effect, but that's not really the strength of the Linnstrument so I don't often use it in such a way.

Rune_7s wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm I've found ROLI's Equator 2 to have a lot of good, usable acoustic presets, though they don't always make good use of the Y-timbre axis, it's a very easy to change it's assignment. Generally, I use the Y-axis for slight variation while playing and not something that I have to be consciously trying to control. Kind of like like how one doesn't always strike the string in the same place and with the same angle while playing guitar.

I've set up some pads sounds that I use the Y-axis consciously, either by rolling my fingertip or striking the pad in higher or lower spots to get the desired effect, but that's not really the strength of the Linnstrument so I don't often use it in such a way.
Thanks for that. I've been seriously considering Equator 2 and I have been wondering about their acoustic instruments

FranklyFlawless wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:18 am
Thanks for the pointer to "Solo Strings." It's a new favorite!

It will be a couple months before it is available as a public beta, and it will likely not have a lot of presets initially, but the just announced Zebralette 3 can make lots of gorgeous acoustic sounds. And it will be free and MPE.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:58 pm It will be a couple months before it is available as a public beta, and it will likely not have a lot of presets initially, but the just announced Zebralette 3 can make lots of gorgeous acoustic sounds. And it will be free and MPE.
I'm also really looking forward to this one. So far, the u-he synths with their MPE beta implementations have worked very well for me and the LinnStrument.

Now with Zebralette 3 I think we could get some very nice MPE patches for the LinnStrument community. If I get to it, I'd consider making some and sharing them here. Maybe if others have similar intentions, we can throw them together to some LinnStrument MPE bank?
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

Fannon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:04 am Now with Zebralette 3 I think we could get some very nice MPE patches for the LinnStrument community. If I get to it, I'd consider making some and sharing them here. Maybe if others have similar intentions, we can throw them together to some LinnStrument MPE bank?
For modeling natural sounding percussion, Zebralette 3 is the most satisfying synth I have ever used. Honestly it's kinda mind-blowing.

And yeah, since it will be a free synth when released, that's a good idea. :tu:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:58 pm It will be a couple months before it is available as a public beta, and it will likely not have a lot of presets initially, but the just announced Zebralette 3 can make lots of gorgeous acoustic sounds. And it will be free and MPE.
What's the Zebralette 2 like? Should I try it out or wait for 3?

D3sertDog wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:42 pm
What's the Zebralette 2 like? Should I try it out or wait for 3?
May as well wait for Zebralette 3... It's completely new from v2

Return to “Roger Linn Design”