Xhun Audio RawPrime : an original synthesis concept, established on... Aliasing (on purpose) !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RawPrime

@cptgone : I don't know why you think I missed respect to you, I said I have no doubts on your honesty, indeed. Really.

I like to trust honest people and make Gentlemen Agreements with such good people, probably as you are. I don't need EU to say me how to behave.

Anyway, EU laws are not broken (at least, not by me) in this case. I still can refuse do give any support to illegal licenses owners, in case a license has been sold to other people (not aware of the matter).

In any case, since you bought a serial, there's no problem at all. I just said that because you wrote "a 2nd hand license" in your first post and I liked to clarify the matter.

Peace !
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

When will RawPrime be released?

cptgone wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:17 pm You ask people to respect (even "support") your (intellectual) property, yet you do not recognize your customers' ownership of the produts they paid for.
No, intellectual property is on the product itself.

You buy a license for using the product at the conditions you agreed in the End User Agreement.

I 100% recognize any customer the property of the license he/she purchased.

I don't know why to fight all the time here, eheh. What did I say of so evil?

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:29 pm When will RawPrime be released?
@perpetual3 : on February !

Once I have a few minutes I would continue with my show and tell.

But please, stop fighting with no reasons. Ehy, today some people is particularly rowdy here ! :)

xhunaudio wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:34 pm I 100% recognize any customer the property of the license he/she purchased.
I posted here to support you.
While doing that, I informed you how I got to know (and purchase) your software: at the 2nd hand market.

You replied to tell me you do not "allow" license transfers.

While I cannot confirm/deny your right to deny support to 2nd hand owners, you are telling me I cannot sell the thing I purchased.
In other words, you deny my full ownership.

I own 500-ish plugins, I've only sold 1 (upon hearing about the customer unfriendly business practices of the dev regarding... ...license transfers).

I will shut up now.

Ok, let's dive into it.

Each generator (two identical generators available per voice) at first is made of a vintage DDS sub-component with a digital NCO "driving" a single cycle sine wavetable stored in ROM.

This produces a real-world, 7-bit "lo-fi" sine wavetable with a quite raw and harsh tone compared to a perfect sine. This signal is then used as a "trigger" for the rest of the generator engine, which is responsible for producing the harmonics / partials.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cptgone wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:39 pm While I cannot confirm/deny your right to deny support to 2nd hand owners, you are telling me I cannot sell the thing I purchased.
In other words, you deny my full ownership.
Denying support for second hand owners seems like fair practice to me. Dev didn't make money off them, seems unfair for dev to have to spend money and time supporting them. Furthermore, I bet a lot of buyers would be satisfied with that compromise.

This "gentleman's agreement" policy should be ended, though. All it's doing is chasing away potential good customers while doing absolutely nothing to curb resale.

The "license resale" practice real numbers are so low to be considered completely negligible.

A resold license can be blocked at any time. In my post, I just wanted to point out what the rules are, while keeping "low tones".

Making public prosecutions is counter-productive. I think it is better to help people (the ones in good faith) to better understand the matter - without using any kind of accusations which may potentially be perceived as a personal attack or similar.

Whoa dude - who’s fighting? I just dropped in to check.
xhunaudio wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:38 pm

But please, stop fighting with no reasons. Ehy, today some people is particularly rowdy here ! :)

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:28 am Whoa dude - who’s fighting? I just dropped in to check.

Not you perpetual3. I was talking about other people's attacks today on parallel threads, built on top of ridiculous.

In my post I mentioned you "@perpetual3" just for my reply "on February".

Cool! Stoked for the synth. 👊🏼
xhunaudio wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:34 am
perpetual3 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:28 am Whoa dude - who’s fighting? I just dropped in to check.

Not you perpetual3. I was talking about other people's attacks today on parallel threads, built on top of ridiculous.

In my post I mentioned you "@perpetual3" just for my reply "on February".

Ok, after all the hassles and attacks of the passed hours which delayed my RawPrime show and tell, I hope we can now talk about pro audio related stuff. I hope such inconveniences won't happen again.

The TRIGGER signal is then sent into an array of five 7-bit, variable samplerate digital to analog converters (DACs) arranged in parallel.

In the "real world" each DAC has a cost from about 1.8 up to 2.4 USD per unit, so their price is cheap enough to be used in a cost-effective 1980s device.

This DACs behave in a similar way as on early samplers, like the Synclavier or the S-SMP : their samplerate is adjusted in real-time depending on the pressed note key and pitch controls.

Each DAC (5 per generator, 10 per voice) feature a different sampling rate. These coefficients amounts are very low compared to usual sampling rates (like 44100Hz, for example), thus producing high amounts of aliasing tones and energies in the audible spectrum.

Next post, more details about that sampling rate amounts and why they can be considered as partials and not as mere noise.
Last edited by xhunaudio on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think there are a few ways to achieve something like this. If your synth has a bitcrushing or alias filter (like Icarus or ArcSyn), you can keytrack it. In Bitwig, you can use the instrument selector to cycle instances of a simple synth with their own note-tracked bitcrushers. Falcon has per-voice FX, so you can have keytracked bitcrushers too! The sideband filter in Hive and the frequency shifting/ring filters in the Rob Papen synths give off similar effects too.

Edit: I just tried it with paired clones of Charlatan 3 (monophonic sine wave) and Krush Pro in the Bitwig Instrument Selector (which is great for making a polyphonic UAD Moog). Overall, it sounds similar to 2-operator FM or ring modulation. Unless I find a way to modulate distortion or add filter cutoff, I can't get it to sound more realistic.
Last edited by Korg Supporter on Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

...neat! thx for the open beta :tu:

Return to “Instruments”