Reason Rack as super synth or collection of synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not going to say a lot here, I've recounted my time with Reason a number of times over the years. Reason was great in it's hay day, but it's never really kept pace with other competing DAWs. It was really just a simple sequencer and a rack of instruments from version 1.0 where I first stated with it back in June 2001. It's mad when I think back to how long it's been. Reasons rack the back end is a good introduction to modular wiring for beginners who can then follow that onto real hardware equivalents if not software like Reaktor if that's your bag. Reason is what you want it to be but you're generally best to stick with some good VSTs for sound sources you can carry between different DAWs.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:33 pm ... you're generally best to stick with some good VSTs for sound sources you can carry between different DAWs.
That's the thing, with the reason rack, reason is also a good VST you can carry between different DAWs.

I reduced my usage to the Players MIDI out only.

And Objekt of course.
MuLab of course :D

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:17 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:33 pm ... you're generally best to stick with some good VSTs for sound sources you can carry between different DAWs.
That's the thing, with the reason rack, reason is also a good VST you can carry between different DAWs.
I kinda think it's messy and gets more complicated when you're trying to optimise your track for your CPU and playback. You might as well use a VST that is optimised and does a better job than the RE variety.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:29 am I reduced my usage to the Players MIDI out only.

And Objekt of course.
Why? Too much a burden to open the rack?
I would add Friktion, Antidote and Zero Hybrid on top of objekt as my absolute survival synths.... And Kong, even if I do have a lot of beat machines.

Samiver wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:37 pm Yeah I tend to use a lot of modulation so run out of sources for unique bpm/hertz or subtle changes over time. Europa has some but not enough as I run out.

Its not a problem in things like objekt as I tend to create differently and use less mod.
I am a modulation addict too but my modulations are generally partly only attached to the presets, most are in the DAW (I use Bitwig) and are attached to the track (side chaining the filter opening to a snare, pumping effect on the volume, etc...)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:41 am I kinda think it's messy and gets more complicated when you're trying to optimise your track for your CPU and playback. You might as well use a VST that is optimised and does a better job than the RE variety.
Well I do understand why you feel that way because it looks intuitively heavy but when I tested about 30 synths in this forum with a similar patch, Europa was actually in the low CPU usage ones. Also, memory consumption is ok (I guess they share resources between instances).

That wasn't my initial question but it seems that reason has a lot to do in v13 in order to really create momentum. Either by a miracle DAW generation push (my money is not in this one) or a Rack pattern more appealing (it is appealing for me but looks like I am the only one lol).

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:43 am
liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:29 am I reduced my usage to the Players MIDI out only.

And Objekt of course.
I would add Friktion, Antidote and Zero Hybrid on top of objekt as my absolute survival synths.... And Kong, even if I do have a lot of beat machines.
Of course I open the Rack otherwise how do I get to use the Players?
If you mean using it beside the players…. Objekt and sometimes Algoritm are utilized.

Nothing else is there for me. Being there since 2.5… moved on.

I’m learning M4L. I will have my dedicated Players :pray:

liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:07 am

And Objekt of course.
If you mean using it beside the players…. Objekt and sometimes Algoritm are utilized.

Yes, you open the rack for the players and Objekt, you said it. My question was, why not the other stuffs? They do have more than a few excellent rack extensions.

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:28 am

And Objekt of course.

Yes, you open the rack for the players and Objekt, you said it. My question was, why not the other stuffs? They do have more than a few excellent rack extensions.
Yes they do but…
How many instruments can you really use to their full potential by knowing them inside out?
Between Serum, Diva (I’m trying to switch to Tal J-8 for awhile) and Omnisphere I’ve got way more than my music and skills can ask for.
I’ve got a new toy on sale, TRK-01, and that thing is addictive :help: (slicing the audio to Simpler, Comping etc… :dog: )
Plus those incredible Fors devices…

Reason Studios? Never date an old girlfriend again, maybe for a track or two :hihi:

liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 am

And Objekt of course.

Yes they do but…
How many instruments can you really use to their full potential by knowing them inside out?
Very very good point and agree.
That being said, I also like to go out of my comfort zone to play around with synths I am less use to.

Between Serum, Diva (I’m trying to switch to Tal J-8 for awhile) and Omnisphere I’ve got way more than my music and skills can ask for.
I’ve got a new toy on sale, TRK-01, and that thing is addictive :help: (slicing the audio to Simpler, Comping etc… :dog: )

Reason Studios? Never date an old girlfriend again, maybe for a track or two :hihi:
Haha, you killed it here hehe.

Jac459 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:25 am
liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 am

And Objekt of course.

Yes they do but…
Very very good point and agree.
That being said, I also like to go out of my comfort zone to play around with synths I am less use to.

Haha, you killed it here hehe.
I fully agree on the deadly “comfort zone”.
Music is the comfort-able aspect of my life. :phones:
Business is the warrior zone since my early teens, and I love it!!!

liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:39 am .......
Thought about this remark again (made my laugh).
In fact, with the RRP, it is like having your ex and your current girlfriend living happily together...

Could be a very hot R rated movie setting.... Or the worst of our nightmare lol.

liquidsound wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:43 am I fully agree on the deadly “comfort zone”.
Music is the comfort-able aspect of my life. :phones:
Business is the warrior zone since my early teens, and I love it!!!
Me too.

That's also why I allow myself GAS... Music is a pleasure and is not polluted by efficiency and rational usage.

Return to “Instruments”