Plug n' Script: please support more channels!

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd really like to implement some plugins for Dolby Atmos and other surround formats, but the current limitation of Plug n' Script to 8 input channels makes that impossible. Please allow for a minimum of 12-16 input tracks (for 7.1.4 or 9.1.6 processing) or ideally, as many tracks as the VST3 specification allows!
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Thanks for the suggestion. Dolby Atmos has indeed been pretty popular lately, we'll have to think about it (it is not an easy move though, as many VST3 hosts are still pretty bad at managing the number of channels).

It doesn't necessarily need to be dynamic; it could fix the number of input channels when it was first instantiated, if that makes it more stable in more hosts. Or perhaps there could be a separate ">8 channels" version of the plugin, the way there are separate VSTi vs. VST versions today? Obviously if there are internal changes to be made for >8 channel support that's one thing, but if the only thing preventing you from having it today is that some hosts misbehave, that feels pretty work-aroundable.

Related: IMHO at least this is much more important for the effects version than for the instrument version. Having a 16-channel output instrument would be pretty cool, but you can also get around that with multiple instrument instances or multiple busses. But for effects, specifically effects that you'd want to place on the Atmos master track, there really isn't any alternative to having a 12- or 16-channel effect in most hosts. You can work around it in Reaper of course - Reaper can do anything - but in say Studio One, your routing options are quite limited.
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

FYI, the tool I was hoping to implement was a Speaker Management plugin for Atmos processing, to allow automated setting of per-speaker delays and bass crossovers. To automate that, I'd need to have all 12-16 channels in a single instance, so that it could test the delays and set relative offsets compared to the "slowest" speaker. I don't think there's any way to do that across multiple plugin instances, even if the host's routing allows for it - can you have inter-plugin communication with Plug n' Script?
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Maybe Blue Cat Audio could create a switch to enable more than 8 channels at the developer's own risk. Make it default false and require the developer to enable it for it to work over 8 channels?

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”