Variable Delay Line Interpolation

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hiya guys, first post on here. I'm currently implementing some effects with variable delay lines (simple flanger and chorus), and it's my understanding that it's a good idea to use some sort of interpolation of my delay parameter (in my case it's just a sine wave LFO), instead of just rounding the value to the nearest integer. It seems to me like no matter what, the delay parameter will need to be stairstepped, and I'm fuzzy on how the interpolation helps in this case. I'm not sure if this kind of "help" post is cool here, so sorry if I'm not in the right place!

EDIT: Sorry! As soon as I submitted this I realized you're interpolating the sample values outputted by the delay line, not the index into the delay line, duh! I can't figure out how to delete a post though....

superelectric wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:14 pm EDIT: Sorry! As soon as I submitted this I realized you're interpolating the sample values outputted by the delay line, not the index into the delay line, duh! I can't figure out how to delete a post though....
Yes, for linear interpolation you get two samples from the delay line and then interpolate using the fractional between them. It's trivial to extend to better interpolation such as Hermite. You just get four points in that case.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”