Workflow Question Tuning

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The more I use the program the more I like it. At this moment I'm converting some libraries to TX16Wx. I need to tune a lot of samples that are not exactly in tune. What I do now:

1. I put a tuner plugin (reatune) after TX
2. After mapping (thanks for the great auto mapper!) I click on the first region in the mapping area and see in the tuner how much it is out of tune. I have to click in the mapping area to make TX jump to the right sample in the list.
3. I then tune by changing the "fine" parameter value in the list.
4. I control the result by clicking not in the mapping area but on the little keyboard (or playing with the real keyboard) as the tuning is corrected by the mapping.
5. I click on the next region in the mapper .. rinse and repeat...

Questions:
Is there an easier way to do that, even (semi) automatic?
Or should I do that in the wave editor list. I tried it but the fine parameter there seems to have no effect at all...

TX16Wx has built-in pitch detection. In at least some cases it can determine the pitch of samples for you. You can even select more than one sample in the wave editor and run "detect pitch" on them. Of course, depending on the actual sample, the result can be way off...

Note that when you adjust fine tuning in the region mapper, you are adjusting the pitch of the _mapping_, not the actual sample. The two are different, as you might want different pitch settings for the same wave in different mappings. The pitch you set up in the region editor can however be "baked" into the sample. It in turn then needs to be saved to disk for the information to be truly permanent (if you just save the program/bank, this info will be ephemeral and just stored as modifiers in the bank/program - to avoid contaminating data on disk until you really say so.

As for adjusting fine tuning etc in the wave editor: This will set the pitch of the sample (same as auto detect above). If your mapping of the sample has manually adjusted pitch settings already, this will not be modified, but you should see an asterisk (*) next to the region list "root" field, indicating that the sample pitch and the region pitch are different.
You can right-clock the region and use "clear root override" to reset pitch to the sample info.

Hope this explains things a bit. More info is available in the manual.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:45 pm TX16Wx has built-in pitch detection. In at least some cases it can determine the pitch of samples for you. You can even select more than one sample in the wave editor and run "detect pitch" on them. Of course, depending on the actual sample, the result can be way off...
Thank you for a very detailed answer. The pitch recognition works very well, and TX16 even uses values in the "fine" column. (Talking about Wave Editor)

My problem is the "fine" setting doesn't do anything here. Nothing changes, neither audible nor measurable. Even if I enter - or + 50 (what I think are cents) nothing changes. It sounds the same and it shows the same in the tuner plugin.

Is there something broken in the program or am I doing something wrong?

Please see what I wrote above: If you already have a mapping in which you have put tuning info, this will remain active when playing the program in question. If the tunings differ you will see a "*" next to the root key in the region list, indicating that they are not in sync.
Also note that the wave editor itself never plays the wave back in any pitch but the natural one. So adjusting fine in the wave list will only affect the pitch of the wave when it is mapped. Hope this makes sense.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Return to “CWITEC”