MIDI in and MIDI out

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have loaded a VST3 used for MIDI processing in Patchwork in Pro Tools. I want the VST3 to receive all MIDI in and send the MIDI out to all instrument tracks. I can't get the VST3 to receive or re-send any MIDI. Am I missing something?
BlueCats Patchwork MIDI.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans Adamson
Art Vista Productions
http://www.artvista.net/

Hi,

Have you made sure to load PatchWork as an instrument (the audio effect will not process anything if no audio is going thru it)? Is the Pro Tools track set to send the events to the PatchWork Instrument?

Once you receive the MIDI events, you can send them to the output of PatchWork by setting the MIDI output to "Host" on your plug-in slot.

Thanks for the reply! The plugin loaded in patchwork is a MIDI processor ("INTONATOR") which handles no audio. Track one is an armed MIDI track and its output is set to MIDI channel 1 on INTONATOR, loaded in Patchwork on track 3 (instrument track.) (See attached screenshot.) No MIDI signal is received by INTONATOR in Patchwork. Is there a setting in Patchwork that will enable it to receive the MIDI signal?
MIDI Track 1 Routing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans Adamson
Art Vista Productions

It looks like you are using the audio effect version of PatchWork, so it will indeed not work well to process MIDI only. You should use the "PatchWork Synth" plug-in instead (instrument version).

Thanks,

I have now loaded "PatchWork Synth" but there is still no incoming MIDI in the PatchWork Synth/INTONATOR. If I replace INTONATOR with Kontakt 7 in PatchWork Synth, MIDI "note on" is received by Kontakt. Is there any incoming MIDI indicator in PatchWork Synth?

Another odd thing: When Kontakt is loaded in Patchwork Synth, played notes will not stop playing when the key is released - and Kontakt 7's MIDI monitor is registering a MIDI velocity "1", not a MIDI "note off" message. If Kontakt instead is loaded as an AAX - not using PatchWork, a "note off" is registered by Kontakt and the note stops playing as it should when a key is released.

Is a MIDI only VST3 compatible with PatchWork?

Thanks,
/Hans
Hans Adamson
Art Vista Productions

Hi,

there is no MIDI activity indicator but you can use any third party MIDI utility to log the MIDI events. The demo version of Plug'n Script for example can do that (there is a MIDI script called MIDI log).

Regarding your problem with Kontakt, that's odd, as many customers are using the exact same configuration with no issue. VST3 is known to have some limitations regarding MIDI support, but there is no difference for MIDI notes.

By the way how are MIDI notes sent to PatchWork Synth? Are you using a MIDI track with events on it or sending events with a MIDI keyboard device? Do you have the exact same MIDI input settings for your Kontakt and INTONATOR instances?

Thanks,

I downloaded Plug'n Script and used it to test. (see below.)
The plugin INTONATOR handles only MIDI notes.
The notes are triggered by a MIDI controller keyboard.
The settings are the same for Kontakt and INTONATOR, I just switch them out in the same location.

Here are three screenshots that shows what I have found, and they may also point to why INTONATOR is not receiving any MIDI in.

Pic 1 shows that Plug'n Script is not registering any MIDI in when loaded as a VST3 in Patchwork.
PlugnScript No Signal 3.png

Pic 2 shows that Plug'n Script is registering MIDI in when also Kontakt is loaded as a VST3 in PatchWork. It also shows that Kontakt is receiving a MIDI velocity "1" message instead of the velocity "0" registered by Plug'n Script. This causes the note to play endlessly.
PlugnScript w Kontakt No Note Off 1.png

Pic 3 shows that Kontakt is receiving a "note off" when loaded as an AAX outside of PatchWork.
OnOff in Kontakt outside PatchWork 1.png

So maybe the reason Plug'n Script is not receiving any MIDI in is the same reason INTONATOR is not receiving any MIDI in?
Hans Adamson
Art Vista Productions

Sorry for the delay on this topic. In order to make sure that Plug'n Script receives MIDI events even when no audio goes thru PatchWork, you need to load the virtual instrument version (the other one is an audio effect even though it also receives MIDI).

Regarding the note velocity offset, I'll have to double check: maybe we have a bug in the VST3 hosting code, but it is strange that Plug'n Script actually sees the right value.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”