Linnstrument Wireless MOD

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As discussed with Roger Linn on November 2023 monthly online meeting - I'm sharing my Linnstrument wireless modification concept also here.

20231029_191058_E.jpg

Basically this modification includes swappable front panel which incorporates power-bank controller 3.6V battery, voltage converter, CME Widi Core Wireless Bluetooth module and additional circuit to accommodate signal received from Linnstruments MIDI output port. There is three way switch - position A disconnect battery completely, position B allows charging (only battery connected), position C all is connected. There is additional mini switch on the bottom, which cuts off power from CME Widi Core and also interrupts connection between Linnstrument MIDI output port and custom optoisolator module so that Linnstrument can safely be used with regular MIDI DIN cable.

A short demo video is available on youtube - https://youtu.be/lbjgunqAsZU

There are some issues though - iPad sometimes loses connection, disconnects from WidiCore - I'm not quite sure why this happens. Also when I try to charge when power switch is in position C (everything is powered) powerbank restarts so operation is not possible - I guess this could be because power bank can't provide enough current to Linnstrument while charging.

In summary it is great for playing around when you have some spontaneous idea in mind and when rehearsing, but for critical applications such as playing live I would still recommend using wired DIN MIDI connection.

Here is my basic design diagramm

LinnstrumentWirelessMOD_diagram.jpg

Full description is available in pdf format.
http://www.futurtone.com/downloads/Linn ... iption.pdf

So it is doable - have fun designing and building your own wireless solution 8)
but bear in mind - Any custom modification of product voids warranty!
Any damage to your product when modifying it is your own risk!

20231101_195133_E.jpg
20231101_195147_E.jpg
20231029_190845_E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Easily the best LinnStrument mod I've seen... Good work!

:tu:

Cheers!

Very well done, gjvti. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you Roger for developing this beautiful instrument!
It is still my main midi controller just because of great expressivity, ease of use while still in deep control and compact size :wink:

Brilliant! Sure looks better than my ol' "carry battery pack in pocket" strategy.

Excellent work.

amazing! I just shortened a USB B cable and velcroed aa 18650 battery with a boost converter and a plastic enclosure to my linnstrument since I had a WIDI master lying around. works decently well but this is next level! the only thing I don't like is the noticable jitter when using the built in apreggiator.

That is beautiful!
I have been using a voltaic usb battery to power Linnstrument and either a widi uhost or widi master connected to iPad. I’ve found that if I use a widi bud pro on the iPad side I have a way more stable connection that rarely drops. Widi to widi has always been the most reliable.
Have the fun!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”