Instalation of DX in Sonar 8.5

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:48 am That's odd. Unfortunately the oldest version of Sonar we have here for texting is Sonar Platinium and it works fine. Have you tried to load the instrument directly on a track, instead of using the synth rack?
https://youtu.be/K8jyiUTHDAQ?si=e29qaMBEQ-KDj4v_

The current biggest issue is that Patchwork doesn't even work in Sonar Producer 8.5.3 for the Synth Rack.

Yes... I can load the instrument and play the instrument via the audio track, but it won't be able to use MIDI.

Well, it does work as expected: if you look at the tracks, the track assigned to the piano is not active for input monitoring anymore (I guess you have auto monitoring on, so Sonar will only activate the track you are currently working on). PatchWork has nothing to do with it.

gtimmons wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:31 pm Yes... I can load the instrument and play the instrument via the audio track, but it won't be able to use MIDI.
Do it the "old" way: back in the days in Sonar you inserted the instruments on an audio track, created a MIDI track and assigned the output of the MIDI track to the instrument.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:59 pm
Well, it does work as expected: if you look at the tracks, the track assigned to the piano is not active for input monitoring anymore (I guess you have auto monitoring on, so Sonar will only activate the track you are currently working on). PatchWork has nothing to do with it.
I could create another video of me changing the focus between the tracks and between the synths... that doesn't help.

I'm about to test your theory on using the old method.

The old method kind of works....but for some reason only works when I press play, otherwise everything sits in suspended animation and won't let me play my midi keyboard manually.

I thought the Kontakt 7 plugins was broken until I pressed the play button, then they came to life playing the midi...

Is there anyway to have it play without requiring midi input other than putting it as a FX?

Using the old method makes it where you can't use the Synths unless you send midi to them. Otherwise the synths just get stopped in suspended animation when the transport is stopped. When they play, they only play midi sent to them and no virtual keyboard works.

The only way to play them without midi is to use them as FX only instead of Synth FX (old method).

With some playing around, I think I fixed it without knowing how.

gtimmons wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:55 pm The old method kind of works....but for some reason only works when I press play, otherwise everything sits in suspended animation and won't let me play my midi keyboard manually.

I thought the Kontakt 7 plugins was broken until I pressed the play button, then they came to life playing the midi...

Is there anyway to have it play without requiring midi input other than putting it as a FX?
If input monitoring is on on the MIDI (and maybe also audio) track it should work.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:48 am That's odd. Unfortunately the oldest version of Sonar we have here for testing is Sonar Platinium and it works fine.
I should have thought of this earlier... Cakewalk is now owned by Bandlab and they've improved Cakewalk Sonar by a lot since then... I've downloaded it and it now supports VST3 and doesn't lag like the old 8.5 did! Thanks for the idea!

Even though I might not need Patchwork for Sonar anymore, I'm still looking at it as a standalone app that I can use with my Voicemeeter app so that I can add special effects to my voice and maybe also use live Autotune abilities, but just for this fun and no profit is a bit pricey.

I've been strongly considering plugin script, but it doesn't support CLAP yet. I might just create my own plugin that supports CLAP and beat ya to it?

I've got Waves Audio Studiorack which pretty much does most stuff your Patchwork plugin does except it's not a standalone plugin and it only loads VST3 plugins. It's also a free plugin, which has probably killed off many of your customers and your competitor customers.

There's an open source software for Delphi that supports hosting VST3 plugins... you know where this would go...

So, yeah... I was on the verge of buying this today... I'm a impulse buyer, but not having a plugin scanner / browser was a deal breaker for me.

I was actually referring to Sonar Platinum, the last release from Cakewalk before it was acquired by Bandlab.

I'm still debating on Plugin Script vs Patchwork. Both are standalone apps, which I really like.

It's just I'm not sure if you can create a standalone "plugin" that works independent of a DAW to accept either ASIO or WDM and act like a in between. Having both a Input / Output for the transfer of audio.

Using independent apps to communicate with each other thru a virtual driver is not very convenient (that's why plug-ins were invented by the way).

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”