thump at the beginning of the Eurythmics's 'Sweet Dreams...'

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

supprised no one has mentioned compression/sidechaining

mommy likes.

dude that is just a kick or a tom tom running thru a send with reverb. If it's the kick they just open up the return on that beat and that's it, or it's just a tom that has one hit every 2 bars, thru a hall reverb. simple simple simple.....

Just took five minutes to remove basicaly everthing else from the song except for the drums(yes i have the song), it's just a kick with a tom at the same time, there is no reverb, save for the synthesized reverb associated with the basic physically modeled tom sound. As somewhat of a verification i DLed two midi versions of the song, and both had toms hittting at the same time of the thump in question.

i started playing with the midi and wow, i could almost hang anything on that arrangement. 8)
It's safe to say i got my geek on
Stay in the glow.
Feed the glow.

It's a Movement Systems Drum Computer. If you listen during vocal the breakdown toward the end, it sounds like a tom drum with a spring reverb.

Watch this video by Dr Mix and see everything recreated from that song. There’s even a snippet from Dave Steward himself explaining how he created that ‘thump’.

Spoiler: it’s a pitched down tom with lots of reverb.

https://youtu.be/ik22v0RK88U?si=WezQF_Zejj69w8RR
At the beginning of something beautiful...

T\hat prick annoys the shit outta me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

agreed. unwatchable.

I know his style isn’t to everyone’s taste, but you can’t say he doesn’t know what he’s doing. The recreation of this classic is amazing. And if we’re going back to the OP question: it’s answered very accurately.

It’s like a 47 minute late-night infomercial lol.

“TTTTTHIS EQ CUT IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY OUR SPONSOR SONNOXXXXXX!!

i need Help wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:12 am It’s like a 47 minute late-night infomercial lol.

“TTTTTHIS EQ CUT IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY OUR SPONSOR SONNOXXXXXX!!

:hihi:

Correct. That part’s really annoying. Due to that, I’ll never want to buy something from Sonnox, ever!

I think it's a gated timpani hit.

I love Dr. Mix. I wish we were friends. Then I would meet BONES for lunch and bring Claudio along without telling him.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Dust_NL wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:41 am I know his style isn’t to everyone’s taste, but you can’t say he doesn’t know what he’s doing. The recreation of this classic is amazing. And if we’re going back to the OP question: it’s answered very accurately.
Yeah, but that question was asked 17 years ago, talk about necroed thread!

I like how Dr. Mix literally only owns one outfit, like Charlie Brown. I respect that.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I just read this great article about this song. It was a Tom pitched down. Also he routed the hook notes to 2 seperate synths with similar presets one note at a time and said that's why anyone who tries to play it on just one of the synths can't get it to sound quite right. Annie came up with the strings and used an Oberheim. Great article.

Return to “Production Techniques”