What do you like about FL Studio?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did them a favour then.

stupid name or not, it sold pretty well, despite also being the most pirated host. enough for original devs to retire young even
it's also probably been used on as many hits as any other host, given its position in rap and hip hop and edm producers
i know of at least 2 huge names, both of them used to post here before fame and the idiots harassing them started.
both had number ones on both sides of the atlantic too.

never judge a book by its stupid title...

i don't like it, tried it years back, didn't work for me. if it does for you, use it.

started w/ it ...
still using ...
does what i need it to do ...

experimental.crow wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:24 pm started w/ it ...
still using ...
i backed the wrong horse, went with orion :lol:
still runs, still use it some times. but no updates since forever and is what it always will be now.
no cool new features or anything, ever! :o :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:36 pm
experimental.crow wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:24 pm started w/ it ...
still using ...
i backed the wrong horse, went with orion :lol:
still runs, still use it some times. but no updates since forever and is what it always will be now.
no cool new features or anything, ever! :o :hihi:
been a minute , yes ?..
:lol: :x :lol:

got dropped for vsts :cry:
mostly audio these days, which orion was a bit crap for, so samplitude or bidule, depending on mood :D

(both where cheap :shrug: i aint a rich man!)

FL's workflow for someone coming from any other DAW is just so wildly different. How you load instruments, how you switch patterns, how you record, how you work in the playlist, how you automate, even simple right-clicking - EVERYTHING works different.

From a beginner's perspective, it's great for making beats and working with loops.

But while some bands I know occasionally record in Ableton, I have yet to hear or see a multitrack recording in FL that's not a daylong nightmare to set up. No bashing, just observing. FL works for some, does not for others. And there are few close alternatives, if you like the workflow, but want to, say, have different stock plugins.

Trancit wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm
Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 am That it was a sequencer no one could take seriously and many turned up their noses at the awful silly name like DAW for children. Even Image line changed the name. ...
They changed it not because they thought it would be silly or childish but because of losing a lawsuit against Kelloggs which had "Fruity Loops" as a breakfast snack already in their product line and have copyrighted the name...
"Froot Loops" for the cereal not "Fruity Loops." Trademark not copyright.

There shoudn't be any confusion about the sources of the respective, completely different products(*), but trademarks are widely considered to be more vulnerable to invalidation so are often vigorously defended.

(*) "Even identical marks, though, may not be considered confusingly similar if they identify completely unrelated goods and services. An example is Delta® for faucets and Delta® for transportation services."

https://www.sgrlaw.com/ttl-articles/tra ... itigation/

I picked it up as my 1st daw about year and half ago. Have been loving it! I make electronic music and ambient

https://soundcloud.com/h0lms

I like that I'm not using it anymore.
I have it installed and fire it up from time to time.... it's not my cup of tea like it used to be. Kudos to the new team developing it, but without gol it will never be the same
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

DaveClark wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:41 pm
Trancit wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:10 pm
Synthman2000 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:13 am That it was a sequencer no one could take seriously and many turned up their noses at the awful silly name like DAW for children. Even Image line changed the name. ...
They changed it not because they thought it would be silly or childish but because of losing a lawsuit against Kelloggs which had "Fruity Loops" as a breakfast snack already in their product line and have copyrighted the name...
"Froot Loops" for the cereal not "Fruity Loops." Trademark not copyright.

There shoudn't be any confusion about the sources of the respective, completely different products(*), but trademarks are widely considered to be more vulnerable to invalidation so are often vigorously defended.

(*) "Even identical marks, though, may not be considered confusingly similar if they identify completely unrelated goods and services. An example is Delta® for faucets and Delta® for transportation services."

https://www.sgrlaw.com/ttl-articles/tra ... itigation/
Call it however you want... this was at the very end the reason they had to change it...
I don´t think we need to cut hairs here.

Trancit wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:52 pm
Call it however you want... this was at the very end the reason they had to change it...
I don´t think we need to cut hairs here.
It's not just I who call it correctly. Contrary to what you just wrote, from the correct legal perspective, they did NOT have to change it, just as I showed. They probably just caved in due to financial concerns or something such as that.

The differences between trademarks and copyrights are not trivial as you suggest. Each type of IP is not only fundamentally different from others, but in addition has completely different requirements, methods, goals, etc. This may not affect you at all, but please don't try to convince everybody else that this cannot possibly affect them.

FL Studio can be the best percussion computer plugin ever!

Piano roll and the ability to change loop/audio sample with the middle click button

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”