HOW TO - Master for Spotify etc. ? from -9 LUFS to -14 LUFS?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys, so here i got a simple LOOP and mixed and mastered it roughly and Tonal Control shows im in the zone too, and my reference track was pretty similiar so i checked how much i need to push the Limiter to -9 LUFS (CD Quality?) and now for example i want to upload this loop on Spotify (yeah sure of course not such a small loop :)), shall i just lower the Limiter? I uploaded a video to showcase.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whpqy4hvhajx0 ... 4.mp4?dl=0

or how would you proceed?

thx
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Did you find the solution to upload the loop on Spotify?

hi, not yet tested but i aim always for around -9 LUFS and afaik spotify & co will turn it down to -14 LUFS anyway so be louder is better than below -14 LUFS of course without clipping. thats my knowledge atm
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Most reference tracks i have are between - 10 to - 6 lufs. I have always heard it is better to be louder than - 14 and Spotify will turn it down.

Might not be correct but assume if you aim for similar than other records in your genre you cannot go far wrong.

Caine123 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:47 am i aim always for around -9 LUFS and afaik spotify & co will turn it down to -14 LUFS anyway
Most music sounds better with more dynamics. The limiter doesn't need to be so aggressive.

Try aiming at -14 and you gain 5dB dynamical range (nearly a whole bit)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

thanks a lot! yes so far what i read problems would be only if you are below -14 so -15 and so on.

Return to “Production Techniques”