Hyperspace Questions

Official support for: unitedplugins.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

0. I'm not sure where to ask these... Is there a better place to ask about the United Plugins?

Hyperspace questions:

1. Is it possible to enable Tooltips? That would be very helpful when learning about what the options do without having to constantly refer to the manual. Maybe an "F1" or other keystroke to bring up info relation to the currently focused option?
Lock - Protects all the setting in the toolbar from changing when loading presets. This is useful for example if you want to keep Wet at 100% but the preset has it set at 50%.
2. Does the Lock include all applicable options in the "Global Section"? I assume the "Toolbar" = the "Global Section"?

3. The "Filter" - we can only filter High Pass -- OR -- Low Pass, right? There doesn't appear to be a way to filter both at the same time. (?) Would also be nice to be able to Filter Pre/Post the reverb.

4. On the X-Y grids:
Character - Is an XY pad that controls the sound character of the algorithm.
X-Axis skews all the delay times in the algorithms.
Y-Axis morphs frequency ranges and internal routings for the algorithms.
Is there a relation within each grid to where the point is located, or is it random algorithms for each new location? i.e. Say I'm in "Vintage" mode and moving the within the "Character" grid. If I'm on the lower left section and getting a nice grainy reverb sound, does it get LESS grainy as I move up and right? I'm really just wondering if there is a relation there, or is each new location an entirely new algorithm? No need to for a "techie" answer, just in beginner layman's terms please. :D

Best practice? Should I just keep hitting the dice until I find one I like, then refine the sound with the myriad of available options rather than moving the X-Y boxes? Does that makes sense?

5. How about a UI option with more contrast? To be honest, I'm a little partial to the look of the first UI. Is there any way to tweak things?

TIA - loving this plugin!

0. Absolutely this is the right place for questions 👍

1. Tool tips is a definite no unfortunately. However I will look into the F1 help window idea.......maybe this could be added.

2. Yes, you have that right. Global = Toolbar. I must have mixed up the terminology somewhere along the way.

3. Yes that's right. I wanted to keep this simple, too many controls would make things cluttered. I already had to fight for space to add all the unusual stuff. I chose to focus on things not found in other reverbs and things that can only be achieved within the reverb. A pre and post filter is easy to add using another plugin placed before or after Hyperspace in the chain. Then you will get advanced options like resonance, slope, exact hz, multiple filters etc. But for the most part the built in filter should be enough. Plus remember it can be used also with the tilt and dampening parameters. Let's say you want hp and lp at the same time. Hp to remove some low end rumble and lp to darken the sound. Well you could use the filter to hp and the tilt to darken. Long answer! Haha.

4. It is not random. So as you move the node the character progresses. From memory moving up and down controls some internal filtering in the algorithm, I think it darkens one algo and brightness the other and Visa versa. Also it morphs some routing parameters connected to diffusion. If you move it left to right it basically skews all the delay times (inside the algorithm) this is a cool one to modulate for special FX as it plays around with the pitch (when its moving)
As for the other pad (algorithm) this one is different. The left and right cross fade between 2 algorithms. But up and down IS random. It suddenly jumps between set of values for the algorithm. So here there is no progression rather random points. I had to do this as if it were to be interpolated, then the inbetween values would often sound bad. The ones that are there are VERY good, they are machine learned and took a LONG time! So no matter where you place the node you get a great sound, but all the places sound different.
Each time you move the Y position of the algorithm pad the plugin has to empty all delay buffers and reload new values. So it sort of momentarily stops the reverb. This is for safety so we don't end up with huge feedback. Unfortunately this means this parameter should not be automated. But the others are ok to automate (this is why I also provided the individual X Y controls under the pads, so you can move X without Y)
My personal workflow is exactly as you suggested. I use the second dice (dice with 3 dots) to randomize until I hear something I like (which is most of it) using the A B function to see if the new one is better or worse than the old one. Then replace if better, if not keep randomizing and comparing. After I have done this several times and have settled on an algorithm and values that I like, then I move to the blue controls to fine tune things.

5. No plans for this sorry. It took me a long time to get the GUI to look like this, something I am happy with. I am not a graphic designer so it's a lot of work. I need to spend my time making new plugins. Maybe one day I will hire a designer to take a look.

Glad you are enjoying the plugin 😍
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Thanks for the quick response. :)
jmg8 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 1. Tool tips is a definite no unfortunately. However I will look into the F1 help window idea.......maybe this could be added.
This would be great!
jmg8 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 3. ...Let's say you want hp and lp at the same time. Hp to remove some low end rumble and lp to darken the sound. Well you could use the filter to hp and the tilt to darken. ...
This is just what I've been doing, but it's a bit more "fiddly" than the EQs. Was just checking really.
jmg8 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 4. ...
There is some REALLY good info in here! Thank you! I would love to see stuff like this and your "economy" savings tips detailed in one place - like the manual. Maybe a "user tips" section for the manual? :)

Regarding the workflow - this is one thing I am REALLY liking too. Rather than just wildly flipping through presets hoping to land on one, the "multi-dice" set up let's me start on a "style" of reverb then home in on settings. I'll need to work in the A-B functionality as you suggest...
jmg8 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 5. No plans for this sorry. It took me a long time to get the GUI to look like this...
I was really just wondering if there was a "settings" option somewhere that I was missing.

I'm still playing and exploring so expect some more dumb questions! :D

jmg8 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:26 am 1. Tool tips is a definite no unfortunately. However I will look into the F1 help window idea.......maybe this could be added.
OK, I know you said "no", but this is killing my workflow. I'm trying to figure out what all the symbols mean on the toolbar (top right) and I'm afraid to push something because I don't know what it is. Now I'm going through the help but I don't think the symbols/words are even in the same order. (?) I can kind of figure out most of them out but....

(Here's the Help section I'm talking about.)
HS-help01.jpg
=======
And yes, I also realize as I get more familiar with the options I won't need them but...

Now I'm writing this instead of mixing. :D

I hate to just "complain" without offering some sort of solution. So, if you won't/can't add/enable Tooltips, how about a "status bar" along the bottom of the screen like Boz Digital does? Please?

This reverb is quickly becoming a "go-to". I've gone from doing "character verb" on a mix to a pad-like "ambience"... Very versatile! I do have to be careful with the CPU cycles though. I'll dial in the effect I want, then toggle the "economy settings" while I finish mixing. Then, before I render, I go in and switch them on if I'm able.

Was watching the MixBusTV review earlier and thinking - I really need to try this on drums next! :tu:

https://youtu.be/tm-dPT4eOt8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glad to hear you are using the reverb a lot in different ways. That is one of the cool things about Hyperspace is that it can go from vintage analog to ultra realistic to crazy sound design all in one plugin.

As for the help documentation, thanks for noticing that. I will update it and make it very clear. I can not add tooltips even at the bottom of the screen, but I am considering some keyboard shortcut on parameters to open a help window. Maybe, but for now, I am concentrating my efforts on new plugins.

If you have any other technical questions about the way Hyperspace works, I would be happy to discuss.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

I've made a "cheat sheet" for the different options. I'm sure it'll be less of an issue as I get used to it.

"I am considering some keyboard shortcut on parameters to open a help window" :tu: :tu:

LOVE the versatility of this reverb!

Return to “United Plugins”