Fabfilter Subscription!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

shroom81 wrote:
zvenx wrote:If they do it like Slate where it doesn't affect me, I have no problems with it. If they do it like Softube where they force you to use Gobbler for all things. Please God no!
rsp
Softube are not forcing anyone to use Gobbler, you can still download the files yourself it's just a bit confusing on the site so it takes time to find it :oops:

You can't without opening a gobbler account..... They aren't forcing you to use gobbler app is correct.
Also it is now several downloads for what use to be one.. but yes there are several threads about that already.
No need to rehash....
rsp
sound sculptist

Subscriptions often make more sense economically for both the vendor
and the customer. I don't get why people have such a problem with them.
Forcing it on people is fairly lame, beyond that, if it allows people to afford
something they otherwise wouldn't be able to, then so what.

While I wouldn't go for it personally, as I already own 70% of them,
I would have no problem with it.

As an option except for the caveats earlier mentioned I dont' have an issue with it.

Why it isn't for me? I like to save to buy something, and never have to worry about paying for it again, unless there is a paid upgrade.
Subscriptions seem cheaper, then you take a few and it adds up.
What happens the month there is a problem with my credit card or paypal account, which has happened......and I am stuck and can't use it....
great for those who like it.
It is definitely not for me.
rsp
sound sculptist

I don´t think we are talking about a "subscription-only" model...
It´s about an addon... and I honestly don´t get neither what´s the problem with that...

Before I was thinking as well, that if I pay monthly, it have to be a rent-to-own... but after rethinking...
most subscription models are that cheap, that you easily cannot loose...
With most of them you would need 20-40 years till you paid the whole bill for all the included plugins and if you decide to stop, then you just stop it and don´t have to care about selling second hand with a loss that´s perhaps even bigger than what you´ve lost with the subscription...

I think it´s just fair and honestly, please raise your hand if you are still using mainly the same plugins (not just 1 or 2) that you´ve used about 10 years ago...
With the most subscription models you are futureproof as well, as they mostly include new plugins atm when they will be released without additional costs...
You don´t have the trouble to sell second hand and the company doesn´t have trouble with license transfer...
Just my 2 cents

zvenx wrote: What happens the month there is a problem with my credit card or paypal account, which has happened......and I am stuck and can't use it....
Did you need a month in the past to solve your problems with your credit card???
As soon as it is solved you can continue... easy as that... perhaps after a few hours, perhaps after a day...

I have had credit cards cloned, been robbed at gun point etc.......
yes but if you make a living from music which I do..... you really think I can tell the client, your project thats due today to go on the air, I can't do till tomorrow cause...

if you like subscription good for you. I don't..
doesn't work for me. if it is an option, we both would be happy.

Music isn't a hobby for all of us.
For some of us deadlines are real.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:I have had credit cards cloned, been robbed at gun point etc.......
yes but if you make a living from music which I do..... you really think I can tell the client, your project thats due today to go on the air, I can't do till tomorrow cause...

if you like subscription good for you. I don't..
doesn't work for me. if it is an option, we both would be happy.

Music isn't a hobby for all of us.
For some of us deadlines are real.

rsp
This cat seen some shit for real.

Yea gotta know it's not all sunshine and daisies when a sub runs your life. Shit breaks, services go down and companies die and all that. Can't have that kinda liability right? Subs are for toys man. Fabfilter plugs are toys to you? Go for it, ask for subs. Just when you get serious you better hope they got a permanent option when shit hits the fan cus it will... this cat knows it damn well ahahaha

Fabfilter plugs are extremely excellent value for money .No subscription service no no no
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Slate has done a very good job with it IMO. Even though I owned most Slate plugins, I jumped on the subscription and have been very happy with it. And the price actually went down! I can't remember that ever happening with anything, really.

Of course, he puts out a new plugin every few months it seems, while FabFilter doesn't. When you look at several hundred $$ per year just for new plugins, that tips things in favor of the subscription model IMO. It's quite a bit different from buying a house.

Trancit wrote:lately I asked at fabfilter for a subscription/rent-to-own model...
So, if there are more people like me, who want to see something like this from Fabfilter...
Don't need it.....I've got credit cards....and cash. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The problem with subscription is variety. Think about it.. if I purchase a few select plugins over the years from various vendors I may perhaps spend say 500$. That gives me infinite variety and complete control over what plugins I want and need.

Now what happens if I need a subscription model for 5 different vendors. They are all seemingly "cheap" and offer "everything".. but I want those 4 or 5 specific plugins, I don't care about the "super deal of everything". Now I have to potentially pay 20$ per month for each company.. which makes it 100 dollars per months.. which would make it 1200$ for a year instead of the 500$ I would probably otherwise have spent. What makes it even more crazy is of course the fact that my 500$ paid for the license forever.. while I'm now stuck with 1200$ subscription per year to keep using those 5 plugins.

This is always how anything "borrowed" starts. It seems cheap. That's the trick. That's how people get into credit card trouble or bank trouble. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Of course if you can stay with only a single company or perhaps two, then you'd be fine. That's what they are counting on, hence the sudden move towards bread and butter and "cover all bases" type of solutions.

Naah, for me it's not going to be subscription any time soon. Perhaps for client projects because subscriptions are much easier to take away from the taxes and have the client pay.. but for my own personal stuff? Nope. Ain't going to happen.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

comfortablynick wrote:Slate has done a very good job with it IMO. Even though I owned most Slate plugins, I jumped on the subscription and have been very happy with it. And the price actually went down! I can't remember that ever happening with anything, really.

Of course, he puts out a new plugin every few months it seems, while FabFilter doesn't. When you look at several hundred $$ per year just for new plugins, that tips things in favor of the subscription model IMO. It's quite a bit different from buying a house.
Hats off to Steven - his marketing is absolutely top notch - and I have a sneaking suspicion that it lures younger and less experienced folks into thinking they absolutely need the "next best game changing plugin" to "sound like the pros" or whatever. I've seen threads on Facebook along the lines of "So I have the Slate Bundle and I still can't get my track to sound like a radio-ready hit - are you sure I don't also need X/Y/Z???" :D

Personally though with the Slate subscription I just found I was paying for a bunch of plugins I wasn't really using - and I sense that might end up happening with other users of subscriptions - particularly when they have more than one subscription on the go at once. I'm finding myself more productive with a few select 3rd party tools and stock Logic plugins now. And it kinda feels nice knowing that I'm no longer tied into my Slate "life sentence" :D

I keep seeing the hype for the new FG- Stress and whilst I sort of miss the feeling of knowing something new is on the way, I can't see it improving my mixes all that much...

Subscription - NO.
Rent to own - yes, it may be a good idea because their plugins are not that affordable, but not sure if it's worth the hassle for FF.
It's easy if you know how

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesha wrote:Subscription - NO.
Rent to own - yes, it may be a good idea because their plugins are not that affordable, but not sure if it's worth the hassle for FF.
Same here. I think FabFilter plugins are worth it, so I buy them anyways. A rent to own model for hobbyists (I mean the ones that don't make a living form music) would be a good addition.

Return to “Effects”